Schools in Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Houston to open despite receiving threats

MIAMI -- Students in Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Houston are heading to school Thursday, hours after school officials in those cities received threats similar to the ones received by the Los Angeles and New York school districts earlier this week.

See Full Article

The Miami-Dade County Public Schools and Houston Independent School District announced on their websites that "less-than-credible" threats were received late Wednesday evening, and that schools would be open on Thursday. Officials from Broward County Public Schools said they also received a threat. In a tweet sent Thursday, the district announced that all schools would be open Thursday morning.

Miami school officials said district police immediately contacted federal, state and local law enforcement agencies and promised to deploy extra security to schools Thursday.

In Houston, officials said law enforcement officers were making sweeps of school district buildings to ensure student safety. They encouraged parents and students to be vigilant and report any suspicious activity to police.

On Tuesday morning, the Los Angeles school district closed schools after receiving an email threatening a large-scale attack. New York City schools also received a similar threat but officials there concluded it was a hoax.

It's rare for a major U.S. city to close all its schools because of a threat and it reflected the lingering unease in Southern California following the attack that killed 14 people at a holiday luncheon two weeks ago in San Bernardino.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • India, Afghanistan urge regional neighbours to end terror support

    World News CTV News
    NEW DELHI -- The leaders of India and Afghanistan on Sunday urged countries in their region to stop supporting armed militants. Representatives of nearly two dozen countries met in the northern Indian city of Amritsar as part of the Heart of Asia-Istanbul Process initiative to promote Afghan peace efforts. Source
  • Castro's ashes arrive at cemetery for interment

    World News CTV News
    SANTIAGO, Cuba - This is the latest on the funeral of Fidel Castro in Santiago, Cuba. (All times local): 7:20 a.m. The crowds lining the road into the cemetery for Fidel Castro's funeral are singing Cuba's National Anthem and shouting "Viva Fidel!" Source
  • Jill Stein taking bid for election recount to federal court

    World News CTV News
    HARRISBURG, Pa. - Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein is taking her bid for a statewide recount of Pennsylvania's Nov. 8 presidential election to federal court. A lawyer in the recount case said "make no mistake -- the Stein campaign will continue to fight for a statewide recount. Source
  • Iraqi government ferrying relief supplies to Mosul

    World News CTV News
    MOSUL, Iraq -- The Iraqi government on Sunday sent truckloads of food, heating oil and drinking water to residents of areas retaken from the Islamic State group in and around the northern city of Mosul as more civilians streamed out of the city amid intense fighting between the militants and troops. Source
  • Putin confident Trump will make responsible decisions

    World News CTV News
    MOSCOW -- Russian President Vladimir Putin says he is confident that President-elect Donald Trump will soon realize the level of responsibility his job entails. Despite Trump's pro-Russian statements during the campaign, Russian politicians are concerned about reports that Trump is considering Mitt Romney, known for his harsh stance on Russia, to be his secretary of state. Source
  • Fidel Castro's remains set to be interred in private ceremony

    World News CBC News
    The cremated remains of Fidel Castro will be interred at a Santiago de Cuba cemetery this morning during a private ceremony, marking the end of the nine-day national mourning period established after the former leader's death. Source
  • Teen charged after classmate's dismembered body found near river

    World News Toronto Sun
    LAWRENCE, Mass. — A 16-year-old has been arrested and charged with murder in connection with the death of his 16-year-old classmate whose headless body was found near the Merrimack River in Lawrence, Massachusetts. Essex District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett said Mathew Borges was arrested Saturday morning. Source
  • Buzz Aldrin: Altitude sickness forced South Pole evacuation

    World News Toronto Sun
    CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand — Buzz Aldrin said he was evacuated from the South Pole last week because he became short of breath and began showing signs of altitude sickness. The 86-year-old adventurer, who was the second man to walk on the moon, released details on Sunday of his dramatic medical evacuation from Antarctica. Source
  • Oakland warehouse gutted by blaze was Bohemian art space

    World News CTV News
    OAKLAND, Calif. -- The warehouse gutted by a blaze that killed at least nine people was home to musicians, painters, woodworkers, dancers and other artists who came together to make art and hold dance performances and parties. Source
  • Architect Frank Gehry 'very worried' about Donald Trump

    World News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Frank Gehry was recently honoured by Barack Obama at the White House, but the celebrated Canadian-born architect isn't too thrilled with the man next in line for the U.S. presidency: Donald Trump. Less than two weeks after receiving the Presidential Medal of Freedom -- America's highest civilian honour -- the California-based Gehry was back in his hometown of Toronto on Saturday for a discussion about his life and work. Source