UN human rights body to discuss Burundi violence

GENEVA - The UN's top human rights body opened an urgent special session Thursday to take up the rising violence in Burundi, with the U.S.

See Full Article

leading a diplomatic push aiming to deploy a mission of experts and launch an investigation of abuses.

At least 87 people were killed on Dec. 11 in attacks on military facilities in Burundi's capital, Bujumbura. Just weeks ago, the African country was elected as a member of the 47-member Human Rights Council based in Geneva. UN officials have expressed fears that the African country is headed toward civil war.

Burundi has been in turmoil since the April announcement that President Pierre Nkurunziza would seek a third term in office, which he won in a disputed election in July.

The UN human rights chief, speaking to the council, cited new UN figures that at least 400 people have been killed since April 26, and nearly 3,500 arrested in the political crisis. He said at least 220,000 people have fled the country.

"The events of last week confirmed the extent to which violence and intimidation are catapulting the country back to the past - to Burundi's deeply troubled, dark and horrendously violent past," High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Raad al-Hussein said. "The time for piecemeal responses and fiddling around the edges is over."

Zeid called for border controls, a government effort to disarm pro-government militias, efforts to stop the flow of weapons into Burundi, and consideration of "the use of drones" as one way to help monitor frontiers.

Elisa Nkerabirori, a representative of Burundi's Human Rights Ministry, spoke on her government's behalf. She said the session was called in "haste" and that her government had sought a delay to avoid a schedule conflict with a meeting of the World Trade Organization in Kenya that has drawn many African diplomats.

She said her government praised the "professionalism" of police and security forces to protect innocent civilians

UN officials say the main sticking points in a draft resolution that would authorize the deployment of experts centre on how quickly an investigative team could be sent in and when it would report back to the Human Rights Council.

The text was expected to be voted on and approved later Thursday. It stops short of a full-fledged commission of inquiry, the highest level of investigation that the panel can authorize.

African Union nations, meanwhile, have appeared reticent. Only one African country, Ghana, publicly signed onto the U.S.-led push for the special session backed by dozens of Western and other countries. The AU is carrying out a fact-finding mission in Burundi.

UN officials fear the violence in Burundi could take an ethnic turn in a country with a large Hutu majority and Tutsi minority - like neighbouring Rwanda.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Activists slam punishment of raped girl who had abortion

    World News CTV News
    JAKARTA, Indonesia -- Activists on Monday criticized a six-month prison sentence given to a 15-year-old Indonesian girl who had an abortion after being repeatedly raped by her brother. The district court in Muara Bulian in Jambi province also sentenced the girl's 18-year-old brother on Thursday to two years' imprisonment for having sex with a minor. Source
  • 'Storm before the calm': Iran dismisses Trump's threat to country's leader

    World News CBC News
    Iranians on Monday shrugged off the possibility that a bellicose exchange of words between U.S. President Donald Trump and his Iranian counterpart could escalate into military conflict, but expressed growing concern America's stepped-up sanctions could damage their fragile economy. Source
  • Deadly L.A. market shooting started with domestic feud

    World News CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- A man's feud with his grandmother turned into a bizarre and deadly confrontation that ended with a supermarket worker dead and dozens of people held hostage in a store kilometres away. Gene Evin Atkins, 28, was booked Sunday on suspicion of murder after an explosion of violence that a relative said may have been brewing for weeks. Source
  • North American International Auto Show to be held in June starting 2020

    World News CBC News
    Organizers of the North American International Auto Show say that starting in 2020 the annual Detroit event will take place in June instead of January. A statement from the show Monday said the new schedule will enable automakers, industry suppliers and others to "deliver dynamic exhibits and experiential opportunities outside of the show's four walls" at downtown's Cobo Center. Source
  • Latest updates: 2 victims and gunman dead in Toronto shooting

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- The latest on a mass shooting in Toronto (all times local): 7:00 a.m. Ontario's police watchdog says a second person is dead after gunman shot 14 people in Toronto's Greektown neighbourhood. Source
  • Prominent S. Korea politician found dead in possible suicide

    World News CTV News
    SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of -- A prominent liberal South Korean politician embroiled in a corruption scandal was found dead on Monday, police said, in what appeared to be one of the country's highest-profile suicides in recent years. Source
  • Survivors of duck-boat sinking join hundreds at Missouri memorial

    World News CBC News
    The 17 people killed when a tourist boat sank in a Missouri lake were remembered Sunday during a service attended by hundreds of people in the tourism community of Branson. A church bell at Williams Chapel at College of the Ozarks chimed 17 times for those who died Thursday at Table Rock Lake. Source
  • Archeologists dig up history of men lost to Spanish Flu in Matapédia, Que.

    Canada News CBC News
    For more than 40 years, amateur historian Roger Delaunais has been taking care of a remote grave site in rural Matapédia in the Gaspé region. Delaunais wrote a book about the camp, where 100 years ago, nine lumberjacks died of the Spanish flu during the First World War. Source
  • Three suspects arrested in U.K. acid attack on 3-year-old boy

    World News CTV News
    LONDON - British police have arrested three more suspects in connection with an apparent acid attack on a 3-year-old boy who suffered severe burns. West Mercia Police said Monday that three men, ages 22, 25 and 26, are being questioned in London on suspicion of conspiracy to commit grievous bodily harm. Source
  • 'A lot more vigorous': Paralyzed Humboldt Bronco in Calgary to work with new physio

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY - Paralyzed Humboldt Broncos player Ryan Straschnitzki is drenched in sweat after a workout that more closely resembled military boot camp than physiotherapy. The 19-year-old's two-hour routine at Synaptic: Spinal Cord Injury and Neuro Rehabilitation Centre in Calgary included chin ups, boxing, heavy rope training and pulling himself into a full standing position from his wheelchair just with the use of his arms. Source