Haiti senators ask president to stop electoral council issuing final results

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - All the sitting members of Haiti's Senate urged President Michel Martelly on Wednesday to prevent electoral authorities from issuing final results for legislative races until a commission can be set up to verify the integrity of the troubled country's elections.

See Full Article

The 10 senators signed a letter to the outgoing president, who has been ruling by decree since Parliament was dissolved last January. The letter was also sent to members of the Provisional Electoral Council, the body that oversees the election process.

The senators said Martelly should use a constitutional article to block the reporting of final legislative results so an independent commission can be formed to examine numerous allegations of ballot tampering, multiple voting and count manipulation.

Electoral authorities said earlier this week that they plan to release the results Thursday.

Martelly and election officials made no immediate public comments about the senators' letter.

The electoral council insists a Dec. 27 runoff for president and parliament seats be held as scheduled despite deep public suspicion about the results from early rounds of voting. If a verification commission was established, the runoffs would have to be postponed.

The government-backed candidate in the presidential runoff, agricultural entrepreneur Jovenel Moise, said Wednesday that the council needs to reinforce the election process and that the voices of voters who participated in the first round of the presidential election needed to be respected. Turnout in the first round was about 26 per cent of registered voters.

"In the interest of the democracy we're building it is really important for the electoral process to continue," he told reporters, without taking questions.

Political analysts and opposition figures have questioned whether the presidential and legislative runoff elections can feasibly take place Dec. 27 given that Moise's opponent, former state construction chief Jude Celestin, is alleging rampant fraud and the official results for legislative races are weeks overdue.

Earlier this week, Celestin refused a second invitation to meet with the electoral council's president. He said it would be a waste of time unless the council was ready to permit an independent review of the contested elections.

"The evaluation commission is a must to safeguard the electoral process, to ensure its integrity and prevent the country from sinking into an unprecedented crisis," Celestin wrote to council president Pierre-Louis Opont.

Practically every public office in Haiti is up for grabs in this year's balloting, which is electing a new president, two-thirds of the 30-seat Senate, the entire 119-member Chamber of Deputies and numerous local offices. Most of the money to hold elections is being provided by the international community, including over $30 million from the U.S.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Violence in U.S. rises for second straight year

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Violent crime in America rose for the second straight year 2016, but remained near historically low levels, according to FBI data released Monday. The Trump administration immediately seized on the figures as proof that the nation is in the midst of a dangerous crime wave that warrants a return to tougher tactics like more arrests and harsher punishments for drug criminals. Source
  • U.S.-backed forces say Russia attacked them in eastern Syria

    World News CTV News
    BEIRUT -- U.S.-backed forces in eastern Syria say Russia bombed their positions on Monday in a major natural gas field they recently captured from Islamic State militants. The Syrian Democratic Forces said a Russian airstrike killed one of its fighters and wounded two others in the Conoco gas field, in Deir el-Zour province. Source
  • German police arrest wanted man after he tries to vote drunk

    World News CTV News
    BERLIN - A drunk German man who insisted on voting in Sunday's election despite lacking the necessary documents has landed in jail -- after police discovered he was wanted for arrest. The unidentified 46-year-old tried to cast his ballot in the eastern town of Guben, but was turned away by election officials. Source
  • Shinzo Abe puts PM job on the line with early election call in Japan

    World News CBC News
    Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe announced Monday he will call an early election for parliament's more powerful lower house for next month. Abe said at a news conference that he will dissolve the 475-seat chamber on Thursday when it convenes after a three-month summer recess. Source
  • North Korea's foreign minister says Pyongyang has right to shoot down U.S. bombers

    World News CBC News
    North Korea's top diplomat says U.S. President Donald Trump's tweet that leader Kim Jong Un "won't be around much longer" was a declaration of war against his country by the United States. Foreign Minister Ri Yong-ho told reporters Monday that what he called Trump's "declaration of war" gives North Korea "every right" under the UN charter to take countermeasures, "including the right to shoot down the United States strategic bombers even they're not yet inside the airspace border of our…
  • John McCain says his brain cancer prognosis is 'very poor'

    World News CTV News
    In this July 27, 2017, file photo, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., speaks to reporters on Capitol Hill in Washington. (AP Photo/Cliff Owen, file) Source
  • 'We were all really shocked:' Angela Merkel supporters have awoken to big gains by far right

    World News CBC News
    So much for the snooze button. That's how one political analyst in Berlin described the pre-election mood in Germany a few weeks ago: a desire by most voters for just four more years of relatively trouble-free slumber before the wake-up call. Source
  • Trump's statement 'a declaration of war' against North Korea: foreign minister

    World News CTV News
    North Korea's Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho speaks outside the U.N. Plaza Hotel, in New York, Monday, Sept. 25, 2017. (AP Photo/Richard Drew) Source
  • Anthony Weiner sentenced to 21 months in teen sexting case

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — Former Rep. Anthony Weiner was sentenced Monday to 21 months in prison for sexting with a 15-year-old girl in a case that rocked Hillary Clinton’s campaign for the White House in the closing days of the race and may have cost her the presidency. Source
  • Jagmeet Singh leads in NDP leadership fundraising but momentum slowing

    Canada News CBC News
    NDP leadership candidate Jagmeet Singh has raised more money than his rivals through the summer, according to new fundraising data published on Monday. According to the Ontario MPP's interim campaign return, which includes donations received by the candidate up to Sept. Source