Syrian troops capture strategic mountain in province of Latakia

BEIRUT -- Syrian government forces captured a strategic mountain in the country's northwest on Wednesday, inching closer to a rebel-held stronghold in the coastal province of Latakia, state media and a monitoring group said.

See Full Article

State TV quoted an unnamed military official as saying that Syrian troops and pro-government gunmen took the Noba Mountain in Latakia early on Wednesday "after destroying the terrorists' positions and fortifications."

Government troops have been on the offensive in different parts of the country under the cover of Russian airstrikes, which began on Sept. 30. Capturing the mountains of Latakia would reduce threats to the coast -- a key stronghold of President Bashar Assad.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the taking of Noba Mountain opens the way for government forces toward the rebel-stronghold of Salma. The Observatory said government troops were backed by fighters from Lebanon's militant Hezbollah group, which sided with Assad in Syria's civil war.

In Lebanon, Hezbollah's Al-Manar TV quoted one of its reporters, embedded with Syrian troops, as saying that government forces raised the Syrian flag on the mountain overlooking an array of rebel-held areas in Latakia.

Meanwhile, in the central Syrian city of Homs, a convoy of 18 trucks carrying food, medical supplies and construction material began entering the rebel-held neighbourhood of Waer, according to Pawel Krzysiek, a spokesman for the International Committee of the Red Cross.

Krzysiek said the convoy is organized by the ICRC and the Syrian Arab Red Crescent.

An ICRC statement released later Wednesday said it may take several days to deliver all the aid. It said the trucks are bringing in food supplies for 40,000 people and hygiene kits for 60,000 people. In addition, medical items sufficient for 1,000 dialysis sessions for patients with severe kidney problems will also be part of the aid delivered.

"Hopefully, this is just the start," said Alexandre Equey, the deputy head of the ICRC delegation in Syria. "We need to have regular access here and also to other areas, in order to help the people during these extremely difficult times."

Earlier this month, a deal in Waer saw a few hundred insurgents pull out of the district in return for a cease-fire and the delivery of humanitarian aid.

The United Nations presided over implementation of the deal, which allowed those leaving Waer safe passage to the north.

A few thousand rebels had been holed up in Waer, which Syrian government forces had blockaded for nearly three years, only sporadically allowing in food.

Hundreds other fighters are expected to leave Waer in the coming weeks and once the evacuation of the rebels is completed, the city of Homs will fully return to government control.

Also on Wednesday, the German military said it has flown its first mission in support of the U.S.-led coalition effort against the militant Islamic State group in Syria.

The Bundeswehr said a German tanker aircraft had refuelled two fighter jets in-air as they flew missions against the extremist group, the dpa news agency reported. A German frigate has also been providing protection to the French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle, and German Tornado reconnaissance jets are expected to begin flying surveillance missions in January.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel pledged the support after France asked for help in the wake of the recent deadly terror attacks in Paris, which were claimed by the Islamic State.

Up to 1,200 troops are expected to be involved in the German mission, which the military said is an exclusively non-combat support deployment.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Extension-cord mess cited in fire that killed N.B. mother, three sons

    Canada News CTV News
    ST. GEORGE, N.B. -- Fire investigators say a mess of extension cords, power bars and the failure of an electrical component were the likely cause of a fire that killed a New Brunswick woman and her three adult sons in April. Source
  • Scalise discharged from hospital, beginning rehabilitation

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. House Majority Whip Steve Scalise -- who was critically wounded in a shooting at a baseball practice last month -- has been discharged from a Washington hospital. MedStar Washington Hospital Center says the six-term Louisiana Republican was released from the hospital on Tuesday and is beginning "intensive inpatient rehabilitation. Source
  • Residential building collapses in Nigeria, killing at least 8

    World News CBC News
    A four-storey residential building collapsed in Nigeria's largest city killing at least eight people, including a child, emergency officials and an Associated Press photographer in Lagos said Wednesday. Authorities said at least 15 people had been rescued from the rubble of the building that collapsed Tuesday afternoon. Source
  • Jailbreak how-to: Inmates chronicle escape on cellphone mocking investigators

    World News Toronto Sun
    SANTA ANA, Calif. — Video shot with a contraband cellphone shows the escape of three inmates from a maximum-security wing of a California jail last year, as well as scenes from their days on the run. Los Angeles news station KNBC-TV, which aired parts of the footage Tuesday, says it was provided by an attorney connected to the case, and not by prosecutors. Source
  • Ohio executes Ronald Phillips, man convicted of rape and murder of three-year-old

    World News Toronto Sun
    LUCASVILLE, Ohio — Ohio is preparing to put a condemned child killer to death in the state’s first execution in more than three years. Forty-three-year-old Ronald Phillips is scheduled to die Wednesday at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in Lucasville. Source
  • Judge set to decide if Charlie Gard can die at home after appeal for U.S. treatment stalled [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    LONDON — A British judge is considering where Charlie Gard, a baby with a rare genetic disease, will spend the last days of his life. A High Court judge is expected to decide at a London hearing Wednesday whether his parents’ wish to take Charlie home to die will be granted. Source
  • Canadian boy, 7, stranded in Cuba after falling ill on vacation

    Canada News CBC News
    A Canadian mother and her sick son are desperate to get back home after an illness forced Cole Antinello, 7, off an airplane tarmac in Cuba, leaving them stuck in hospital and searching for answers. Source
  • Judge set to decide on where Charlie Gard's spends last days

    World News CTV News
    LONDON -- A British judge is considering where Charlie Gard, a baby with a rare genetic disease, will spend the last days of his life. A High Court judge is expected to decide at a London hearing Wednesday whether his parents' wish to take Charlie home to die will be granted. Source
  • Man accused of raping and impregnating 11-year-old girl says she may have raped him

    World News Toronto Sun
    SPRINGFIELD, Mass. — Prosecutors say a 38-year-old Massachusetts man charged with impregnating an 11-year-old girl denies raping the girl, and instead suggested that she might have become pregnant by having sex with him as he slept. The Republican newspaper reports that Justin Armstrong, of Springfield, was held on $50,000 bail after pleading not guilty Monday to forcible child rape. Source
  • Parents of critically ill baby request own hospice care team

    World News CTV News
    LONDON -- The parents of critically ill infant Charlie Gard conceded Wednesday that he will die in a hospice and not at home as they had previously wished. Connie Yates, the mother of the baby at the centre of an international medical and legal battle, returned to London's High Court for a hearing where a judge was expected to rule on where Charlie would spend the last days of his life. Source