Jordan tears down camp housing 800 Sudanese people, plans to deport them

AMMAN, Jordan -- Jordan plans to deport about 800 Sudanese men, women and children to Sudan, a government spokesman said Wednesday, after troops tore down a makeshift tent camp for the displaced in a pre-dawn raid.

See Full Article

The UN refugee agency urged the government not go through with the deportations.

"We are in constant contact with the authorities and we have been advocating ... to halt any possible return to Sudan because these people may face persecution in their country," said agency spokeswoman Helene Daubelcour.

The Sudanese had pitched the camp outside the refugee agency's headquarters a month ago, demanding resettlement to third countries. One of the camp residents, Ahmed Douri, said troops arrived at about 3 a.m., ordering people out of the tents and forcing them to board buses.

The Sudanese were driven to an airport where the buses were surrounded by troops, Douri said. He said Jordanian officials demanded asked that they hand over their passports, but that many did not comply.

Government spokesman Mohammed Momani said the Sudanese had entered Jordan under the pretext of seeking medical treatment and that "asylum conditions don't apply to them." He said about 800 would be deported to Sudan.

Douri said he and the other displaced Sudanese are from the troubled Darfur region and that it is dangerous to return there. He said the vast majority were registered as refugees by the UN agency and were entitled to international protection.

Daubelcour said she did not know the exact status of each Sudanese, but "we expect that many are registered with us."

Jordanian authorities informed the UN agency of the planned raid shortly before it happened, but did not say the refugees would be deported, Daubelcour said. Officials only said they would evacuate the camp, which was pitched on public land. She said the evacuation proceeded without violence. Douri said the camp evacuation took place without violence but added that some of the Sudanese were beaten by authorities at the airport.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Quebec City paramedics say string of deaths show need for more ambulances

    Canada News CTV News
    Quebec City paramedics are pressuring their provincial government to put more ambulances on the roads, pointing to three deaths in four days as evidence of a shortage. Jean-Francois Gagne, a member of the paramedics union FPHQ, described one of the incidents, which he says happened on Sunday at around 4 a.m. Source
  • U.S. ending temporary permits for almost 60,000 Haitians

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- The Trump administration said Monday it is ending a temporary residency permit program that has allowed almost 60,000 citizens from Haiti to live and work in the United States since a 2010 powerful earthquake shook the Caribbean nation. Source
  • Trump charity stepped up 2016 giving amid campaign scrutiny

    World News CTV News
    NEW YORK -- U.S. President Donald Trump sharply increased the amount of money he gave away through his foundation last year as the charity drew scrutiny during the campaign. A 2016 tax return posted on the non-profit monitoring website GuideStar shows that the Donald J. Source
  • Family of reservist killed during training says he'd just graduated university

    Canada News CTV News
    CFB SHILO, Man. - The family of a reservist killed during a military training exercise in Manitoba says he'd just graduated from university last month. Cpl. Nolan Caribou's family has released a statement through the military after the infantryman died while training at Canadian Forces Base Shilo. Source
  • CBS suspends Charlie Rose after report of allegations from 8 women

    World News CTV News
    FILE - In this Tuesday, Jan. 12, 2016, file photo, Charlie Rose participates in the "CBS This Morning" panel at the CBS 2016 Winter TCA in Pasadena, Calif. (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP, File) Source
  • No charges laid after fatal nursing home beating, police say

    Canada News CBC News
    No charges are being laid in the case of an elderly Alzheimer's patient who died after a brutal beating at a Dundas nursing home early this year. James Acker, 86, abruptly awoke in January to an attack by a second male patient in his 80s — who also has Alzheimer's — at St. Source
  • Vehicles hit three snowy owls in southern Ontario in past week

    Canada News CTV News
    Snowy owls have started to arrive in southern Ontario for the season, but human threats linger when it comes to their winter home. Lesley McDonell, a terrestrial ecologist at the Hamilton Conservation Authority in Hamilton, Ont. Source
  • UBC denies mishandling sex assault complaints in response to human rights cases

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- The University of British Columbia has denied mishandling sexual assault reports in documents filed with the province's human rights tribunal. History graduate Glynnis Kirchmeier and engineering student Stephanie Hale have launched separate complaints with the tribunal over the school's response to sexual violence. Source
  • Advertising on icebergs? A Newfoundland man plans to try

    Canada News CTV News
    A Newfoundland man says he plans to auction off the opportunity to advertise on an iceberg in the Atlantic Ocean next spring. Larry Daley of St. John's says on his website that he’s organizing the live advertising event, which the website says will go “go viral. Source
  • Ontario city mulls ending seniors' discounts

    Canada News CBC News
    Seniors' discounts are one of the perks of getting older, saving recipients money at shops, restaurants, movie theatres and banks, and on public transit. Now Kingston, Ont., is looking at doing away with age-based discounts on municipal programs and services, and replacing them with discounts based on income level. Source