Truce between Yemen government, Shiite rebels postponed

SANAA, Yemen - The Saudi-led coalition supporting Yemen's internationally recognized government said Monday that a planned truce with the country's Shiite rebels has been postponed for 12 hours.

See Full Article

The official Saudi news agency announced the postponement late Monday, saying coalition forces will halt fire at noon (0900 GMT, 4 a.m. EST) Tuesday. The ceasefire was originally scheduled to start at midnight Monday (2100 GMT, 4 p.m. EST).

The statement did not provide further details about the reason for the postponement. Rebel leaders could not immediately be reached for comment.

The warring sides had agreed to a weeklong cease-fire to coincide with peace talks in Switzerland scheduled to begin on Tuesday.

Yemen's fighting pits the internationally recognized government backed by a Saudi-led, U.S.-supported coalition against the rebels, known as Houthis, who are allied with a former president and backed by Iran. Yemen's local al-Qaida and Islamic State affiliates have been exploiting the chaos to grab territory and exercise influence in the east and south of the country.

Previous truces and U.N.-brokered talks to end the violence have failed, as the government insisted the Houthis honour a U.N. resolution that obliges them to give up arms seized from the state and withdraw from territory they had captured over the past year, including the capital, Sanaa. The Houthis, however, have demanded negotiations over the country's political future.

According to the U.N., the war has killed at least 5,878 people so far since the fighting escalated after the Saudi-led coalition began launching airstrikes against rebel positions in March.

Earlier in the day, ground fighting and coalition airstrikes continued across the country, killing at least 34 people, including 10 civilians, according to security and medical officials. The officials, who have remained neutral in Yemen's civil war, spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to reporters.

Among the dead were two senior coalition officials from Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates in Yemen's southwestern Taiz province. The official Saudi and Emirati news agencies did not specify how they were killed. The two were identified as Saudi Col. Abdullah Mohammed al-Sahyan and Emirati officer Sultan Mohammed Ali al-Ketb.

The Houthis announced in a statement that the two coalition officials were killed when the rebels fired a long-range missile at a secret headquarters of the pro-government military leadership close to the strategic strait of Bab al-Mandab.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Protesters ejected from Turkish president's New York speech

    World News CTV News
    NEW YORK -- A demonstrator who got up and shouted "Terrorist!" at Turkey's president during a speech at a hotel on Thursday was grabbed by bodyguards and rushed out of the hall as others in the emotional crowd pushed, shoved and shouted. Source
  • Mexico shocked by news: Girl trapped in rubble didn't exist

    World News CTV News
    MEXICO CITY -- Hour after excruciating hour, Mexicans were transfixed by dramatic efforts to reach a young girl thought buried in the rubble of a school destroyed by a magnitude 7.1 earthquake. She reportedly wiggled her fingers, told rescuers her name and said there were others trapped near her. Source
  • Use of force 'appears to be justified' in video of police shooting, former SIU director says

    Canada News CBC News
    A shooting by a Toronto police officer to stop a brutal and prolonged stabbing attack last week appears to be justified, says a former director of Ontario's police watchdog, based on his viewing of video of the incident that is making the rounds on social media. Source
  • Former Australian PM says he was head-butted after anti-gay marriage event

    World News CTV News
    CANBERRA, Australia -- Australia's prime minister on Friday urged restraint in the nation's same-sex marriage debate after a former prime minister who gave the people a direct say in the divisive issue said he was head-butted by a gay rights advocate while walking in a city street. Source
  • Canada sending bomb disposal experts to Iraq to train security forces

    Canada News CBC News
    A handful of Canadian army combat engineers will soon be in Iraq to train local security forces in the finer points of detecting and defusing roadside bombs, the Liberal government announced Thursday. An advance team has already been sent to observe the kind of instruction being given under a NATO program that was announced at the Warsaw Summit in the summer of 2016, but only established in earlier this year. Source
  • Quebec suspect charged with murder in Amber Alert case out of coma: lawyer

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL - A man who fled authorities last week with his six-year-old boy and who was later charged in the slaying of the child's mother is close to being released from hospital, his lawyer said Thursday. Source
  • Trump's Strange test: Alabama Senate runoff puts president in tricky spot

    World News CTV News
    MONTGOMERY, Ala. -- It's Trump versus Trumpland. U.S. President Donald Trump's political muscles are getting a workout in a Republican runoff election in Alabama that has an awkward dynamic: He's campaigning for the establishment-backed incumbent over an upstart beloved by many of his own most ardent supporters, including his former chief strategist Steve Bannon. Source
  • May to urge new partnership, transition period for Brexit

    World News CTV News
    LONDON -- Prime Minister Theresa May will try to kick-start faltering Brexit negotiations on Friday by proposing a new economic and security partnership between Britain and the European Union, plus a transition period after the U.K. Source
  • Quebec Crown says evidence insufficient for charges in 1991 death of Val-d'Or Cree woman

    Canada News CBC News
    Quebec's Director of Criminal and Penal Prosecutions (DPCP) says it does not have enough evidence to pursue criminal charges in the 1991 death of a 24-year-old Cree woman in Val-d'Or, Quebec. The decision follows new inquiries conducted by Sûreté du Québec investigators earlier this year in and around the city situated 600 kilometres northwest of Montreal. Source
  • Tamara Lovett says she has abandoned the 'natural' remedy belief system that killed her son

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Tamara Lovett said Thursday she no longer adheres to the belief system which led her to treat her dying son with oil of oregano and dandelion tea. A teary Lovett told her Court of Queen's Bench sentencing hearing she now knows what she was doing in treating her son, Ryan, was wrong. Source