Syrian troops seize military air base in Damascus suburb

BEIRUT -- Syrian troops and allied militiamen seized control of a sprawling military air base near Damascus on Monday, bolstering the government's presence in a key area overwhelmingly controlled by opposition forces.

See Full Article

The Marj al-Sultan air base lies in the eastern suburb of Damascus known as Eastern Ghouta, and had been held by rebels for the past three years.

The capture is a rare victory for the government in an area considered an opposition stronghold. It bolsters the government's hold over Damascus International Airport and splits rebel-held areas.

The capture was reported by Al-Manar TV, the channel of Lebanon's Shiite Hezbollah group, whose fighters are battling alongside Syrian troops under Russian air cover.

Pro-government websites and the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which relies on activists inside Syria, also reported the capture of Marj al-Sultan on Monday.

Fighting on the ground in Syria has intensified even as the international community makes its most serious push yet to restart peace talks between President Bashar Assad's government and the rebels.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is heading to Russia for talks aimed at narrowing gaps with Russian leaders over a political transition to end the country's nearly five-year civil war.

Before departing, Kerry will attend a French-hosted foreign ministers meeting to compare notes on a conference of Syrian opposition figures held last week in Saudi Arabia.

Washington and Moscow are deeply divided over the political process they both agree is needed to end the war in Syria.

In Sunday's government attacks, at least 45 people were killed in the Douma, Saqba and Arbeen suburbs -- all part of the Eastern Ghouta region -- according to the Local Coordination Committees and the Observatory.

The attacks followed volleys of mortar shells fired into Damascus by rebels in the area that had killed three people, including a child, just hours earlier.

On Monday, a visiting UN official said the humanitarian situation in the war-ravaged country is "a blot on our collective conscience."

Speaking to reporters in Damascus at the end of a three-day visit during which he travelled to the central Syrian city of Homs and met with officials in the Syrian capital, humanitarian chief Stephen O'Brien said he was "deeply saddened" by the uptick in violence.

"This is a tragic reminder of the urgency of finding a political solution and security, a nationwide cease-fire," he said. "Such indiscriminate attacks are unacceptable and we must do our utmost to protect innocent civilians."

Around 6.5 million Syrians are internally displaced, O'Brien said. Two million children are out of school, and 72 per cent of the population has no access to drinking water, he added.

"This situation is unacceptable," he said.

Also Monday, the head of Russia's military general staff said rebels of the Free Syrian Army are receiving weapons from Moscow -- comments that come just days after a Kremlin spokesman denied it.

Gen. Valery Gerasimov was quoted by Russian news agencies as saying that Russia is supporting the FSA with airstrikes and is also helping "with weapons, ammunition and material." The statement appeared to suggest Russia was supplying the weapons, but the military could not be reached for clarification.

Last week, President Vladimir Putin said the rebels, who oppose Moscow's ally Assad, were receiving weapons from Russia, but Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov later said Putin meant Assad's army was getting weapons and the rebels were receiving only air support.

FSA's chief of staff has denied receiving Russian weapons.

If Russia were supplying weapons to the FSA, it would likely be with the understanding that they would direct their fire at the Islamic State group, rather than the Moscow-allied government.

Associated Press writer Bassem Mroue contributed to this report.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • B.C. man pleads guilty in brutal attack of 16-year-old girl

    Canada News CTV News
    WARNING: Details included in this story may be disturbing to some readers. A B.C. man has pleaded guilty to several charges in the case of a 16-year-old girl who was tied up, beaten and sexually assaulted during a two-day ordeal in 2014. Source
  • Out-of-town Crown named to case against Ottawa officer charged in death of Abdi

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- The Ontario government has named a Toronto-based Crown attorney to prosecute the case against an Ottawa police officer charged in the death of a Somali-Canadian man during a confrontation with two constables outside his home last summer. Source
  • No LGBT category in 2020 U.S. Census proposal

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON - The U.S. Census Bureau did not include a separate count of LGBTQ Americans in its proposal for the 2020 Census. The category had been sought by gay rights advocates. The bureau counts Americans according to race, gender and other characteristics. Source
  • 'Take your hate elsewhere': Woman confronts protesters at Toronto-area school board meeting

    Canada News CTV News
    A video posted on social media showed a Toronto-area school board meeting erupting into rage as some attendees shouted Islamophobic comments and one man ripped pages out of the Qur’an. The cell phone video, recorded by Syed Imam and posted on his Facebook page, shows a Peel District School Board meeting last week, when one of the agenda items was religious accommodation for students in schools. Source
  • Pot legalization: What will it mean for schools?

    Canada News CBC News
    The revelation that the federal government will legalize marijuana in Canada by July 1, 2018 has sparked a flurry of speculation about possible implications. But those imagining a disastrous Canada-wide increase in high school students showing up stoned in classrooms need not worry, school boards say. Source
  • Missing man killed, swallowed whole by python

    World News Toronto Sun
    WARNING: Video shows graphic footage. JAKARTA, Indonesia — A 25-year-old Indonesian man has been swallowed whole by a python on the island of Sulawesi, villagers and news reports said. A six-minute video on the website of the Tribun Timur publication shows villagers slicing open the python’s carcass to reveal the legs and torso of the dead victim, named Akbar. Source
  • Britain files Brexit divorce from the European Union

    World News Toronto Sun
    LONDON — The United Kingdom filed for divorce from the European Union on Wednesday, overturning four decades of integration with its neighbours, demolishing the notion that EU expansion is inevitable and shaking the foundations of a bloc that is facing challenges to its identity and its place in the world. Source
  • VIA Rail's $150 cross-Canada pass unavailable online

    Canada News CTV News
    A Via Rail promotion offering young passengers unlimited Canada-wide travel for $150 appears derailed, as the passes are temporarily unavailable online. The Canada 150 Pass was not available for purchase on Via Rail's website Wednesday. Source
  • Canadian guilty of insulting Turkey's president, released pending appeal

    Canada News CTV News
    A Canadian woman detained in Turkey has been found guilty of insulting the country's president, but said she has been released from prison as her lawyer pursues an appeal of the case. Ece Heper said she is happy to be out of prison, where she had been held since late December after being charged for comments she wrote about President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on social media. Source
  • High demand halts sale of $150 cross-Canada VIA Rail passes

    Canada News CTV News
    A VIA Rail promotion offering young passengers unlimited Canada-wide travel for $150 has gone off the rails, with sales temporarily suspended due to a technical issue triggered by "high demand." The Canada 150 Pass was not available for purchase on Via Rail's website Wednesday, due to what the website called "technical difficulties. Source