EU pledges US$88M for housing of stranded migrants in Greece

ATHENS, Greece -- The European Union pledged Monday to spend 80 million euros (US$88 million) to house migrants in Greece even as it seeks tougher procedures for asylum-seekers travelling to the continent.

See Full Article

Kristalina Georgieva, the EU Commissioner for Budget and Human resources, signed an agreement for a rent subsidy program for up to 20,000 people next year.

Thousands of stranded refugees are currently being housed in old venues from the 2004 Olympics, at camps on Greek islands, or are sleeping in tents pitched in city squares and parks in Athens.

"The 80 million euros is for the year 2016 ... after that it would be assessed. It could be expanded," Georgieva told The Associated Press. "Families could stay at an accommodation for two months, so the number involved over the year would be quite a lot higher than 20,000."

Nearly 800,000 migrants and refugees have crossed through Greece this year, hoping to travel to northern Europe. But Macedonia and other Balkan countries last month toughened their border rules, restricting crossings to those from war-torn nations like Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan and stranding others.

Under the Greek housing scheme, assisted by the UN refugee agency, migrants will receive hotel vouchers or checks to live in vacant apartments.

The program will significantly increase Greece's capacity to shelter migrants, which currently stands at about 10,000, according to an EU official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he or she was not authorized to talk to the media.

EU authorities have promised to overhaul the bloc's border protection agency, speed up and co-ordinate deportations and process more asylum claims in arrival countries like Greece and Italy.

Greece's left-wing government closed migrant detention centres around the country earlier this year but conceded Monday that some detention is needed to make deportation procedures work.

"Detention and return is a form of violence that saddens me," said Yiannis Mouzalas, a Greek migration minister. "But a government is obliged to abide by what is legally necessary ... if a bottleneck stays open, that bottle will smash."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • UK police shoot 1, arrest 6 others in counterterror raids

    World News Toronto Sun
    LONDON — British police said Friday they had disrupted an active terrorist plot with raids in London and southeastern England. One woman was shot and seriously injured in the police swoop. Six suspects were arrested on terrorism-related charges, police said. Source
  • Pope seeks Christian-Muslim unity in Egypt

    World News CBC News
    ?Pope Francis is brushing off security concerns to forge ahead on Friday with a two-day trip to Egypt aimed at presenting a united Christian-Muslim front that repudiates violence committed in God's name. Three weeks after Islamic militants staged twin Palm Sunday church attacks, Francis is to land in Cairo in the early afternoon for a series of deeply symbolic encounters with Egypt's religious and political leadership. Source
  • German ban on full-face veils for public servants goes ahead

    World News CTV News
    Veiled muslim women take part in protest in London, against France banning the wearing of Islamic veils in public, Monday, April 11, 2011. Source
  • Woman dies after Stockholm truck attack; death toll now 5

    World News Toronto Sun
    STOCKHOLM — A woman in her 60s who was injured in the April 7 truck attack in Stockholm has died, Swedish authorities said Friday, raising the death toll to five. The Stockholm police said in a statement the woman, who has not been publicly identified, had been hospitalized in southern Sweden. Source
  • In Egypt, pope seeks Christian-Muslim rejection of violence

    World News CTV News
    VATICAN CITY -- Pope Francis is brushing off security concerns to forge ahead on Friday with a two-day trip to Egypt aimed at presenting a united Christian-Muslim front that repudiates violence committed in God's name. Source
  • Former military officer charged with sexual assault in B.C.

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- A former officer stationed at Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt in British Columbia has been charged with sexual assault. National Defence says in a news release that the assault was alleged to have occurred against another military employee in 2010. Source
  • Acceleration glitch forces some Toronto buses off the roads

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- The Toronto Transit Commission says most of its 153 extra-long articulated buses that had to repaired through the night because of a problem with "unexpected acceleration" are back in service. The TTC had pulled the 18-metre long buses off the roads after two of the vehicles experienced a "full throttle" situation. Source
  • Arkansas inmate Kenneth Williams lurched on gurney 20 times during execution: Report

    World News Toronto Sun
    VARNER, Ark. — Arkansas executed its fourth inmate in eight days Thursday night, wrapping up an accelerated schedule with a lethal injection that left the prisoner lurching and convulsing 20 times before he died. Kenneth Williams, 38, was pronounced dead at 11:05 p.m. Source
  • Campaigning candidates consider France's wartime past

    World News CTV News
    PARIS -- France's troubled wartime past is taking centre stage Friday in the country's highly charged presidential race, as centrist Emmanuel Macron visits a Nazi massacre site and Marine Le Pen's far-right party suffers a new blow over alleged Holocaust denial. Source
  • U.S. anti-missile system in South Korea has limits, experts say

    World News CTV News
    SEOUL, South Korea -- Neat certainties are rare in the North Korean nuclear crisis, which for decades has simmered and occasionally boiled over, without resolution. So it was jarring to see the absolute confidence with which America's top Pacific commander described the ability of a contentious U.S. Source