No sign yet of 'terrorist act' in Russian plane crash: Egyptian investigator

CAIRO - A preliminary investigation into the crash of a Russian passenger plane has found no indication yet of any "illegal or terrorist act," Egypt's chief investigator said in a statement released Monday.

See Full Article

The vaguely worded statement by Ayman el-Muqadam said the investigation committee so far has not found "any evidence" indicating foul play in the Oct. 31 downing of the plane, killing all 224 people onboard, mostly Russian vacationers returning home from the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh. The committee is "continuing its work," it said.

Russia has said an explosive device had been placed onboard the Airbus A321-200 and the Sinai branch of the Islamic State group has claimed responsibility. The crash led Russia to suspend all flights to and from Egypt, dealing a heavy blow to the country's vital tourism industry.

El-Muqadam said the investigating committee completed its preliminary report Sunday evening, which contained all available information that will be further investigated.

He said the search for wreckage extended more than 16 kilometres (10 miles) from the main crash site and that the committee provided all parties that are part of the investigation, including the insurance company and Russian working teams, the chance to examine the wreckage.

The investigators analyzed the plane's 38 computers and two engine computers and is currently checking the technical details of the plane and repairs carried out since it was manufactured in May 1997.

El-Muqadam said the investigation committee made 15 visits to the crash site, and the team was co-ordinating with the air force to move the wreckage to a safe location in Cairo for further study.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov declined to comment directly on the Egyptian statement, but told reporters in a conference call, "I can remind you of the conclusion of our experts from the special services, who came to the conclusion that it was a terrorist action."

Aside from a joint technical investigation into the crash by experts from Egypt, Russia, France and Ireland, the Egyptian authorities also opened an investigation into a possible security breach or infiltration by militants of the Sharm el-Sheikh airport staff, security officials have said.

That investigation has focused on baggage handlers, their security supervisors and also personnel involved in aircraft catering, according to the officials.

-----

Associated Press writer Jim Heintz in Moscow contributed to this report.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Rivers keep swelling in France, disrupting public transportation

    World News CTV News
    PARIS - Rivers across France are still swelling despite some improvement in the weather, disrupting train services and metro lines in Paris. Meteo France, the national weather agency, placed 23 departments on orange alert, the second highest level of vigilance. Source
  • 'People just ran': Kentucky students fled for lives in fatal shooting

    World News CTV News
    BENTON, Ky. - They ran silently, too stunned to shout. Some of the children ran into classrooms to hide from the boy with the gun. Some ran out of the building, into the fields, across the streets, through the doors of nearby businesses. Source
  • Tempers flare as B.C. Liberal leadership candidates debate

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER - Tempers flared at the B.C. Liberal leadership debate in Vancouver as veterans butted heads over the future of the party with newer faces calling for change. Former cabinet ministers Mike de Jong, Andrew Wilkinson and Todd Stone faced off against backbenchers Sam Sullivan and Michael Lee, as well as former Surrey mayor and Conservative member of Parliament Dianne Watts. Source
  • Insurgents attack children's group in eastern Afghanistan

    World News CTV News
    KABUL - A group of gunmen stormed a non-governmental children's organization in eastern Nangarhar province, killing one person, said provincial officials. Attahullah Khogyani, spokesman for the provincial governor, said the Wednesday attack was against Save the Children's provincial office in Jalalabad. Source
  • Insurgents attack children's aid group in eastern Afghanistan

    World News CTV News
    KABUL - A group of gunmen stormed a non-governmental children's organization in eastern Nangarhar province, killing one person, said provincial officials. Attahullah Khogyani, spokesman for the provincial governor, said the Wednesday attack was against Save the Children's provincial office in Jalalabad. Source
  • California prosecutors seek to bar parents from contacting 13 kids kept captive

    World News CTV News
    Louise Anna Turpin, far left, with attorney Jeff Moore, second from left, and her husband David Allen Turpin, listen to attorney, David Macher, as they appear in court for their arraignment in Riverside, Calif., Thursday, Jan. 18, 2018. Source
  • Puerto Rico awaits foreclosure wave as mortgage moratoriums expire

    World News CTV News
    SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Aylsa Torres sighed in relief when she received a letter from her bank two weeks after Hurricane Maria hit. She was among the hundreds of thousands of Puerto Ricans awarded a three-month moratorium on their mortgage payments as the U.S. Source
  • Philippine volcano spreads lava three kilometres from crater

    World News CTV News
    LEGAZPI, Philippines - Lava fountaining regularly from the Philippines' most active volcano has flowed up to 3 kilometres from the crater in a dazzling but increasingly dangerous eruption. Mount Mayon has spewed lava up to 600 metres high at times Tuesday and early Wednesday and its ash plumes stretched up to 5 kilometres above the crater. Source
  • Activists rip Kim Jong Un's photo in Olympic protest

    World News CTV News
    SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of - Anti-Pyongyang activists on Wednesday ripped photos of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in the latest protests in Seoul against South Korea's outreach to North Korea over next month's Pyeongchang Winter Olympics. Source
  • D.C. sniper requests hearing to ask for lower sentence

    World News CTV News
    RICHMOND, Va. - A sniper who randomly killed 10 people and terrorized the Washington, D.C., region more than 15 years ago is entitled to a new hearing to ask for a lighter sentence, his lawyer argued Tuesday to a federal appeals court. Source