Israeli officer questioned in shooting of Palestinian attacker

JERUSALEM -- Israeli authorities on Sunday said they have opened an investigation into the actions of a police officer who fatally shot a 16-year-old Palestinian girl during a stabbing attack in Jerusalem last month.

See Full Article

In a statement, the Justice Ministry said it was looking into whether the officer used excessive force while stopping a stabbing attack by two teenage Palestinian girls.

In the Nov. 23 incident, the 16-year-old girl, along with a 14-year-old accomplice, stabbed and wounded a 70-year-old man with scissors before they were shot by the officer.

The ministry said the attorney general had requested the investigation into claims that the officer shot the 16-year-old girl after she had already been restrained. During questioning, the officer said he believed the girl still posed a threat, the statement said.

The incident was filmed by a security camera and the footage was released to the media. The younger girl was wounded.

Palestinians have accused Israel of using excessive force during a three-month wave of violence, and Sunday's announcement appeared to be the first official investigation into the actions of Israeli security forces during the unrest. Israel says its tactics are a legitimate response to stabbings and other attacks.

A total of 19 Israelis and an American seminary student have been killed by Palestinian attacks, mostly stabbings, while at least 112 have been killed on the Palestinian side, including 75 people said by Israel to be attackers.

In the latest unrest, Israeli forces shot a young Palestinian woman Sunday after she allegedly attempted to stab a pedestrian in the West Bank.

The military said the woman was evacuated to a Jerusalem hospital. It did not say how close the woman got to her target.

The incident occurred Sunday in Hebron, a frequent flashpoint of violence. Several hundred Israeli settlers live in heavily guarded enclaves in the city, which is home to 270,000 Palestinians.

Israel says the violence is fueled by a Palestinian campaign of lies and incitement. The Palestinians say it is the result of frustrations rooted in Israel's nearly 50-year occupation.

Late Sunday, the Israeli army said Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip fired a rocket that landed in an open area of southern Israel. No injuries were reported.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • No reports of Canadian casualties in Mexico earthquake: Freeland

    World News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland says there are no reports of Canadian casualties following a magnitude 7.1 earthquake that killed dozens in Mexico. The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake was centred near the Puebla state town of Raboso, about 123 kilometres southeast of Mexico City. Source
  • Deadly 7.1 magnitude earthquake kills 189 in central Mexico [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    MEXICO CITY — A magnitude 7.1 earthquake jolted central Mexico on Tuesday, collapsing some buildings, cracking the facades of others and scattering rubble on streets on the anniversary of a devastating 1985 quake. The quake caused buildings to sway sickeningly in Mexico City and sent panicked office workers streaming into the streets, but the full extent of the damage was not yet clear. Source
  • Would-be ISIS fighter caught threatening to bomb girlfriend's car

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    As a wannabe ISIS fighter, Ismael Habib had all the wrong moves. The Montreal native was stuck in Canada while his wife, in Syria with their children, kept bugging him to get on a plane and join the fight. Source
  • Bernardo postpones day parole hearing until 2018

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    How he toys with them yet again. Set to seek day parole next month, schoolgirl killer Paul Bernardo has now decided to postpone his hearing until October 2018, the Toronto Sun has learned. For the French and Mahaffy families, it’s a temporary respite. Source
  • New Zealand officials cancel flights due to fuel shortage

    World News CTV News
    WELLINGTON, New Zealand -- New Zealand's lawmakers and public employees were told Tuesday to cancel all nonessential flights to and from Auckland as a fuel shortage at the nation's largest airport continued to disrupt the travel plans of thousands of people. Source
  • Gender-based ticket pricing sparks death threats against B.C. filmmakers

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    VICTORIA — The filmmakers behind a comedic web series in British Columbia are facing fierce backlash after they tried to tackle economic disparity with ticket prices. Organizers for the Victoria premier of “Building the Room” used “justice pricing” when tickets went on sale last week, with white males being charged $20, while others paid $10. Source
  • Mother demands answers after son, 8, put in restraints and injected on first day of school

    Canada News CBC News
    A Toronto-area mother is searching for answers after she says her son was taken to a hospital alone in the back of a police car, placed in restraints and injected with a sedative after acting out on the first day of school. Source
  • Trump's 'sovereignty' pitch at UN could be good news for autocrats

    World News CBC News
    Threatening to "totally destroy" North Korea. Prophesying that some nations in the room are "going to Hell." Warning diplomats they "haven't heard the last of" his attacks against the Iran nuclear deal. Beyond the dark picture of the world U.S. Source
  • Deadly 7.1 magnitude earthquake hits central Mexico [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    MEXICO CITY — A magnitude 7.1 earthquake jolted central Mexico on Tuesday, collapsing some buildings, cracking the facades of others and scattering rubble on streets on the anniversary of a devastating 1985 quake. The quake caused buildings to sway sickeningly in Mexico City and sent panicked office workers streaming into the streets, but the full extent of the damage was not yet clear. Source
  • Suspect tells court he had sex with prostitute, but didn't rape and beat her

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    The suspect in the brutal rape of a Calgary woman in a downtown parkade testified Tuesday someone else was responsible for the attack. Andy Dick Ntunaguza told a two-woman, 10-man jury he had consensual sex with the woman after paying her $50. Source