Chris Christie returns to prime-time for Tuesday's GOP presidential debate

WASHINGTON -- CNN is inviting Gov. Chris Christie back to prime-time in the upcoming Republican presidential debate.

The New Jersey governor, who had been dropped from the main stage during the last debate, is one of nine Republican presidential candidates to qualify for the network's prime-time event on Tuesday.

See Full Article

Also among them: Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, who was "on the bubble" of qualifying late last week, the network said.

Front-runner Donald Trump will appear at centre stage, flanked by retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson and Sen. Ted Cruz, who is surging in Iowa. Other Republican hopefuls who qualified for the main stage include Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, former Hewlett Packard CEO Carly Fiorina and Ohio Gov. John Kasich.

Qualifying candidates were required to meet one of three criteria in polls conducted between October 29 and December 13 that are recognized by CNN: an average of at least 3.5 per cent nationally or at least 4 per cent in Iowa or New Hampshire, the first states to with contests toward the Republican nomination.

The network says lower-polling Republican hopefuls will debate earlier Tuesday night. They are former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham and former New York Gov. George Pataki.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Record-breaking Canadian sniper saved Iraqi lives according to special forces general

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — The sniper who shattered the record for the longest confirmed kill also saved lives, the deputy commander of Canadian special forces said. Brig.-Gen. Peter Dawe told The Canadian Press on Wednesday that fighters from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant were gathering for an attack on an unsuspecting Iraqi military unit when the Canadian commando fired the 3.5-kilometre shot. Source
  • NAFTA lawsuits target Canada most, U.S. hasn't lost yet

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA - When it comes to the North American Free Trade Agreement, Canada can safely claim the title of biggest loser in terms of lawsuits. Since the agreement came into force in 1994, Canada has been sued 39 times by foreign companies claiming Canadian policies have violated their rights under NAFTA. Source
  • $1.2B flood protection, makeover project annouced for Toronto waterfront

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A portion of Toronto's waterfront is set to undergo a nearly $1.2 billion flood protection project that will lead to a makeover of the area. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne and Mayor John Tory announced the Toronto Port Lands Flood Protection project at a joint news conference on Wednesday. Source
  • CTV National News Chief Anchor Lisa LaFlamme inducted to Order of Ontario

    Canada News CTV News
    Lisa LaFlamme, chief anchor and senior editor of CTV National News, has been appointed to the Order of Ontario, the province’s highest honour. LaFlamme received the honour in a ceremony Wednesday in Toronto alongside 25 other inductees. Source
  • Cybertip.ca warns parents about Snapchat's new map feature

    Canada News CBC News
    A Canadian child protection group is warning parents about a new feature in a popular app that could allow predators to track teens. Cybertip.ca, a program run by the Canadian Centre for Child Protection, sent out a Cybertip alert on Tuesday about a new Snapchat feature called Snap Map. Source
  • Iqaluit prepares for royal visit by Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall

    Canada News CTV News
    IQALUIT, Nunavut - The City of Iqaluit is gearing up for the arrival of the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall, who are expected to land Thursday from the U.K. on a Canadian Forces Airbus. Source
  • Arizona wildfire forces thousands of people from their homes

    World News CTV News
    PRESCOTT VALLEY, Ariz. -- A wildfire burning Wednesday through a dense Arizona forest has forced thousands of people from their homes, closed a major road and created a huge plume of smoke over the same area devastated by a blaze that killed 19 firefighters four years ago. Source
  • 'Freedom!': Driver plows down Ten Commandments at Arkansas Capitol on Facebook Live [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — A man yelled “Freedom!” as he crashed his vehicle into Arkansas’ new Ten Commandments monument early Wednesday, nearly three years after he was arrested in the destruction of Oklahoma’s monument at its state capitol, authorities said. Source
  • 'Don't expect much'; Peter Mansbridge's sign-off from 'The National' will be low-key

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    TORONTO — Peter Mansbridge doesn’t want to make a fuss about leaving the anchor’s chair at CBC’s “The National.” Nearly a year after telling viewers he planned to retire from the public broadcaster’s flagship program, the 68-year-old newsman who defined an era at CBC News plans to sign-off for the final time with little fanfare. Source
  • Trump heading to France for Bastille Day celebrations

    World News CBC News
    U.S. President Donald Trump plans to celebrate Bastille Day in France. The White House announced Wednesday that Trump has accepted French President Emmanuel Macron's invitation to help celebrate France's national holiday on July 14. Macron invited Trump to visit when they met for the first time at a NATO summit in Brussels in late May. Source