Iraqi PM insists Turkish troops withdraw from fighting Islamic State

BAGHDAD -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi called for the immediate withdrawal of Turkish troops from northern Iraq in a national address Friday night, insisting no foreign forces are needed to fight the Islamic State group in his country.

See Full Article

Turkey has had troops in northern Iraq to help train local Kurdish and Sunni forces since last year, but the arrival of additional troops last week sparked an uproar in Baghdad. Turkey subsequently halted new deployments but has refused to withdraw its soldiers.

Iraq has already tried to solve the crisis with "peaceful and diplomatic means," Abadi said in the televised address. "We gave our neighbour Turkey a time limit to withdraw its troops and not to close the door to dialogue."

Earlier Friday, Abadi asked the Foreign Ministry to submit a complaint to the United Nations about the presence of Turkish troops near the IS-held city of Mosul.

Abadi asked the UN Security Council to "shoulder its responsibilities" and order the withdrawal of the Turkish troops.

"This is a flagrant violation of the provisions and principles of the UN Charter and in violation of the sanctity of Iraqi territory," a statement from his office said.

U.S. Ambassador Samantha Power, the current council president, said Friday night that the Iraqi ambassador had delivered a letter in Arabic, but it had not yet been translated.

"There's growing alarm from the Iraqi government," Power said. "Any troop deployment must have the consent of the Iraqi government."

Iraq's religious leaders also admonished Turkey during a sermon in Karbala. Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani said Turkey should not have sent "troops to the territory of another state under the pretext of supporting the fight against terrorism" and called on the Iraqi government to "protect the sovereignty of Iraq."

The representative of the cleric, Ahmed al-Safi, relayed al-Sistani's words during a Friday sermon.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Friday that Turkey has no plans to withdraw troops and would continue with the training process "in agreement" with Iraq. He did not elaborate.

Erdogan defended Turkey's move to send more troops, saying IS and other terror groups were "running wild" and Baghdad was unable to protect Turkish soldiers there.

"Are we to wait for the invitation of the central Iraqi government when there is an attack to our country? We have no such luxury," Erdogan said.

Earlier, a government statement said Turkish intelligence chief Hakan Fidan and Foreign Ministry Undersecretary Feridun Sinirlioglu met with Iraqi officials in Baghdad and the sides agreed to work toward forming "new mechanisms" to deepen co-operation in security.

Associated Press writers Suzan Frazer in Ankara, Susannah George in Baghdad and Edith M. Lederer at the United Nations contributed to this report.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Explosion at Mississauga, Ont., restaurant injures at least 15

    Canada News CTV News
    MISSISSAUGA, Ont. - Paramedics in Peel Region west of Toronto say 15 people have been injured in an explosion at a restaurant in Mississauga, Ont. A spokesman for the paramedic service says three people were rushed to a trauma centre with critical injuries due to the blast. Source
  • 15 people injured following explosion at Mississauga restaurant

    Canada News CBC News
    Fifteen people are hurt after an explosion an Indian restaurant at a Mississauga plaza Thursday night. Peel paramedics say they were called to the scene of Bombay Bhel in the area of Hurontario Street and Eglinton Avenue East around 10:30 p.m. ET. The three people in critical condition suffered "critical blast injuries," they say. Source
  • Amazon to bring 1,000 jobs to Ottawa with new warehouse

    Canada News CBC News
    Online retail giant Amazon is set to make a major investment in Ottawa, with a warehouse that will employ roughly 1,000 people, according to two members of Parliament. Orléans MP Andrew Leslie confirmed in an interview with CBC News that the company plans to take over a giant warehouse proposed for 5371 Boundary Rd. Source
  • 100 years after death, MP and WWI veteran to be honoured with plaque in Ottawa

    Canada News CTV News
    The First World War claimed the lives of two sitting Canadian MPs, but until now, only one had been immortalized in the House of Commons. Killed in Belgium during the Battle of Mount Sorrel in June 1916, Lt. Source
  • Police officers rescue woman stuck in bathtub for 70 hours

    Canada News CTV News
    BRADFORD, Ont. -- Police in a community north of Toronto say a woman has been rescued after spending nearly three days stuck in a bathtub. South Simcoe police say officers were sent to a home in Bradford, Ont. Source
  • Georgia jury awards $1B in damages after guard rapes teen

    World News CBC News
    A Georgia jury has awarded an eye-popping $1-billion verdict against a security company after an apartment complex guard was convicted of raping a 14-year-old girl. Hope Cheston was outside by some picnic tables with her boyfriend during a party in October 2012 when an armed security guard approached, attorney L. Source
  • Police ID woman killed in targeted attack at Toronto apartment

    Canada News CTV News
    Toronto police have identified the woman killed in what they call a targeted attack at a midtown apartment. Dead is 21-year-old Abbegail Elliott. Investigators say they were called to an apartment in the city's Annex neighbourhood at around 4:30 p.m. Source
  • Trump pardons Jack Johnson, boxing's 1st black heavyweight champion

    World News CBC News
    U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday granted a rare posthumous pardon to boxing's first black heavyweight champion, clearing Jack Johnson's name more than 100 years after what many see as his racially charged conviction. "I am taking this very righteous step, I believe, to correct a wrong that occurred in our history and to honour a truly legendary boxing champion," Trump said during an Oval Office ceremony. Source
  • Three-year-old girl's sundress deemed inappropriate for pre-school

    Canada News CTV News
    A three-year-old girl won’t be allowed to wear a sundress she loves to pre-school anymore after staff deemed the straps on the outfit inappropriate, a Winnipeg family says. Sadie Stonehouse said the pre-school has put her in the uncomfortable position of having to explain to her daughter, Lola, why the sundress isn’t allowed – a conversation she fears will make her three-year-old question her body. Source
  • Trump had to 'face the music' that U.S., North Korea worlds apart on nuclear deal

    World News CBC News
    Donald Trump's decision to scrap a historic summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un was inevitable, some experts say, but there is still hope the meeting can happen. Jonathan Pollack, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution Center for East Asia Policy Studies, doesn't think the sudden scuttling of the summit was a strategic move by the president. Source