IS claims responsibility for triple suicide bombings in Syria

BEIRUT -- The Islamic State group claimed responsibility Friday for triple suicide bombings in northern Syria that killed at least 26 people and wounded 90, underscoring its ability to launch attacks in areas that it has lost to rival groups.

See Full Article

The extremist group said in a statement posted online that the attacks in the predominantly Kurdish province of Hassakeh targeted offices of the main Kurdish militia known as the YPG. The attacks in the town of Tal Tamr occurred late Thursday.

Syrian state media and an activist group said the blasts targeted a medical centre and a busy market.

Tal Tamr, once inhabited by Assyrian Christians, is now an overwhelmingly Kurdish town where the main Kurdish fighting force in Syria -- People's Protection Units, or YPG -- is in control. The group is the most effective fighting force against the IS.

Syrian State TV and IS said on Friday the blasts killed 60 people and wounded 90 while the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said they killed 26, including four Assyrian Christians. The Observatory said 120 people were wounded.

Also Friday, the Observatory and the Local Coordination Committees, another opposition group that tracks the civil war in Syria, reported that warplanes struck small, primitive oil refineries used by villagers in the eastern province of Deir el-Zour. The Observatory said the warplanes were believed to be Russian.

The LCC said seven people were killed and others were wounded while the Observatory said dozens were killed or wounded in the attack on the villages of Zgheer and Kasra.

The Russians and the U.S.-led coalition have been targeting oil facilities in an attempt to deprive IS of one of its main sources of income.

The Islamic State group on Friday accused Somalia's al-Qaida affiliate of killing several jihadi leaders who defected to its side, including a Sudanese sentenced to death for killing a U.S. diplomat in Khartoum and his driver.

A detailed report posted on two IS-affiliated websites on Friday said al-Shabab leaders ordered the killing and detention of dozens of jihadis who expressed their willingness to join IS. They include Mohamed Makawi, a Sudanese who took part in the drive-by shooting of John Ganville and his driver in Khartoum on Jan. 1, 2008.

Makawi and another accomplice, Abdelbasit Haj Hamad, were among four sentenced to death in Sudan for killing Granville but escaped from prison in 2010.

The U.S. offered up to $10 million for information leading to the capture of the two men.

Meanwhile in Washington, the office of Vice-President Joe Biden said the top U.S. official spoke with Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu by telephone on Thursday to discuss efforts by the United States and Turkey to combat IS.

The leaders also discussed ongoing developments in Iraq, emphasizing the importance of defusing recent tensions between Turkey and the Iraqi government "in a manner that respects Iraqi sovereignty" and fully co-ordinates counter-IS efforts with the U.S.-led coalition.

Turkey has had troops near the IS-held city of Mosul to help train local Kurdish and Sunni forces since last year but the arrival of additional troops last week sparked uproar in Baghdad. Ankara subsequently halted new deployments.

On Friday, Iraq's Prime Minister issued a formal request for the Foreign Ministry to submit a complaint to the United Nations about the Turkish troops.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Second suspect pleads guilty in remand centre attack on triple murderer Douglas Garland

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    The second of four men charged with attacking triple murderer Douglas Garland at the Calgary Remand Centre pleaded guilty Wednesday. Michael Bohdan admitted a charge of assault causing bodily harm in connection with a Feb. 17, attack at the northwest Calgary jail which sent Garland to the jail's hospital overnight. Source
  • Ontario will unveil 16,000 subsidized child-care spaces in the provincial budget

    Canada News CBC News
    Ontario's provincial budget will include $200 million to create 24,000 child-care spaces, 16,000 of which will be subsidized. The spaces were announced in the 2016 throne speech, but the subsidies are new — and the minister for that portfolio hinted that more parents may be able to tap into those resources. Source
  • Ontario MPP introduces insurance recovery bill for domestic violence victims after CBC investigation

    Canada News CBC News
    A Toronto MPP has introduced a private member's bill aimed at forcing insurers to pay out claims for cases involving domestic violence, after a CBC News investigationinto the matter. Liberal Mike Colle, who represents –EglintonLawrence, introduced the Innocent Persons Insurance Recovery ActWednesday in Ontario's Legislative Assembly. Source
  • Bernier as leader would set Conservatives back: Erin O'Toole [Video]

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    The Conservative Party will lose the next federal election with Maxime Bernier and his libertarian-style views leading the way, opponent Erin O’Toole predicts. Bernier’s plan won’t sell across Canada, especially in rural areas, he said. At a Toronto Sun editorial board Wednesday, O’Toole said he has the broad-based party support and comprehensive platform to lead the party to victory against Justin Trudeau’s Liberals. Source
  • 'I'm a bit of a monkey': After crane rescue, Toronto firefighter gains fans with wry wit

    Canada News CTV News
    A Toronto firefighter captured the city’s attention Wednesday morning for rescuing a young woman trapped on a 12-storey crane in the city’s downtown core. But Rob Wonfor reached local celebrity status when he touched down on the ground and started wryly cracking jokes about the tense situation. Source
  • Fort McMurray mayor doesn't foresee big population shift after wildfire

    Canada News CTV News
    FORT MCMURRAY, Alta. -- Wood Buffalo Mayor Melissa Blake says she's not expecting last May's wildfire to have much of an impact on the Fort McMurray area's long-term population. Blake says that before the fire, the municipality was expecting growth of between one and three per cent over the next five years and she's not expecting that to shift much. Source
  • Dead cop’s daughter, 8, picks up officer’s tab

    World News Toronto Sun
    Mikayla Raji never met her dad. He was a cop, killed in the line of duty by a drunk driver. But the eight-year-old proved she had true blue blood when she saw a police officer picking up dinner at a New Jersey diner. Source
  • B.C., Alberta methane pollution higher than disclosed, reports suggest

    Canada News CBC News
    Methane emissions from oil and gas facilities in Alberta and B.C. are much higher than previously thought and are being under-reported, according to two new environmental reports. The David Suzuki Foundation teamed up with St. Source
  • Judge cites Trump's words in blocking 'sanctuary city' order

    World News CTV News
    SAN FRANCISCO -- For the third time in two months, a federal judge has knocked down an immigration order by President Donald Trump and used Trump's own language against him. In a ruling on Tuesday, U.S. Source
  • Nancy Kerrigan: Tonya Harding never said sorry

    World News Toronto Sun
    Former Olympic skating star Nancy Kerrigan says rival Tonya Harding has never apologized for the notorious 1994 beatdown of the silver medallist. It was one of figure skating’s most shocking scandals. At the 1994 U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Detroit, Kerrigan was bashed on the right knee with a baton by a hit man hired by Harding’s ex-husband. Source