Family of Chicago teen fatally shot by officer 'traumatized' by squad-car footage

CHICAGO -- The family of a black teenager shot 16 times by a white Chicago police officer stepped forward Friday, weeks after a video of the 2014 killing set off days of protests, calls for the mayor's resignation and demands for an overhaul of the police department.

See Full Article

Laquan McDonald was shot in October 2014 by police Officer Jason Van Dyke, who is charged with first-degree murder. Squad-car footage was released late last month upon a judge's order, and there have been protests almost daily since. Protesters allege a coverup and have called for the resignation of Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez.

Since the video's release on Nov. 24, McDonald's death became another example in current debate over gun violence and treatment of African-Americans by the police. Protesters have turned the shooting into a rallying cry, their chants of "16 shots and a coverup" becoming as familiar as "I can't breathe" became after the video that showed Eric Garner being taken down by a New York police officer in a fatal chokehold.

The Rev. Marvin Hunter, who is McDonald's great uncle, called for change at the city and national levels, saying that "what we're feeling in Chicago is the real feeling of America itself, and that's injustice against people of colour."

McDonald's mother was not in attendance because she's "hurting and traumatized by the constant reminder and senseless death of her son," Hunter said, referencing the video, which has been replayed on TV frequently.

Earlier this week, U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch announced the Department of Justice would investigate whether the Chicago Police Department's practices violate federal and constitutional law.

The city agreed to a $5 million settlement with McDonald's family earlier this year before without a lawsuit even being filed. But Chicago officials also fought the release of the video, arguing it could interfere with any resulting court case. Acting on a judge's order, the city released it, with the county's top public prosecutor announcing charges against the officer hours before.

An attorney for McDonald's family said they, too, did not want the video made public, explaining that they were still grieving.

Alvarez has defended her office, calling it a complex investigation. Emanuel apologized this week. He fired the police chief and named a new head of the independent body that investigates police conduct. But protests have continued, and more were planned for Friday.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • North Korea calls Pence remarks 'ignorant,' willing to scrap summit

    World News CTV News
    TOKYO -- North Korea said Thursday recent comments by U.S. Vice-President Mike Pence were "stupid" and "ignorant" and again warned it was willing to pull out of a planned summit between leader Kim Jong Un and U.S. Source
  • Boy, 3, dead after being found inside vehicle in Burlington, Halton police say

    Canada News CBC News
    A toddler is dead after being found in a vehicle in Burlington, Halton Regional Police say. Emergency crews were called to the Crossroads Centre, a faith-based television station on North Service Road, around 5:30 p.m. following reports of a boy who wasn't breathing. Source
  • 3-year-old boy dies after being found in vehicle on hot day in Burlington, Ont.

    Canada News CTV News
    Police in the Greater Toronto Area are investigating the death of a three-year-old boy who was found inside a vehicle on a hot day. The toddler was found without vital signs inside a Ford Escape in Burlington, Ont. Source
  • Former judge Robin Camp allowed to practise law again: Law Society of Alberta

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- A former judge who resigned over his treatment of a sexual assault complainant is allowed to once again practise law in Alberta. The Law Society of Alberta approved Robin Camp's reinstatement this week. Source
  • Crown, defence may consider splitting McArthur case into separate trials

    Canada News CBC News
    As the case against alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur meanders its way through the courts, some important legal decisions may soon have to made, including whether the 66-year-old landscaper may face more than one trial. On Wednesday, McArthur made another court appearance, and is scheduled to be back again next month, just days after a judicial pretrial. Source
  • Quebec singer Luck Mervil gets community sentence for sexual exploitation

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Well-known Quebec singer Luck Mervil was given a six-month sentence in the community Wednesday for the sexual exploitation of a 17-year-old girl in 1996. The sentence is exactly what the defence and the Crown jointly recommended last week. Source
  • Math teacher's win in Kentucky points to November potential

    World News CTV News
    FRANKFORT, Ky. -- Teachers across the U.S. have left their classrooms this spring to protest at state capitols, closing schools to win pay raises and better funding in mostly Republican-controlled states. But their most disruptive act yet may well have come Tuesday night in Kentucky, where a high school math teacher who had never run for public office before defeated the state House majority leader in a GOP primary. Source
  • Edmonton terror suspect faces U.S. extradition hearing

    Canada News CBC News
    An Alberta man facing extradition to the U.S. is accused of robbing a jewelry store in Edmonton to finance the terrorist activities of relatives and a friend who fought overseas with ISIS. Abdullahi Ahmed Abdullahi, 33, is charged with providing material support to terrorists, according to a U.S. Source
  • Truck from B.C. spills 40,000 pounds of chicken feathers on highway

    World News CTV News
    FEDERAL WAY, Wash. -- A tractor-trailer made a fowl mess when it rolled over in Washington state. It dumped about 18,145 kilograms of chicken feathers across Interstate 5. Washington State Patrol Trooper Rick Johnson says the driver told investigators he fell asleep at about 3:30 a.m. Source
  • Manitoba First Nation community trapped by smoke as fire creeps closer

    Canada News CTV News
    WINNIPEG -- Hundreds of people from a Manitoba First Nation are sitting in the local school as a raging forest fire encroaches on the community. Evacuations from Little Grand Rapids -- a fly-in community about 260 kilometres northeast of Winnipeg -- began on Tuesday but heavy smoke made it impossible for planes to land. Source