Man killed in Virginia crash 20 years ago, known as 'Grateful Doe,' identified

RICHMOND, Va. - A car crash victim who became known as "Grateful Doe" because of two Grateful Dead ticket stubs in his pocket has been identified more than 20 years after he was killed, authorities said Thursday.

See Full Article

DNA evidence confirmed that the man whose identity remained a mystery for two decades is Jason Callahan of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, said Arkuie Williams, a spokesman for the Virginia Medical Examiner's Office.

Callahan was 19 when he was killed in southern Virginia in 1995. His injuries made him unrecognizable and his body was never claimed.

In recent years, the "Grateful Doe" mystery captured the attention of Internet sleuths, who created pages dedicated to solving the case and circulated a computer-generated image of his face.

It was through those sites that Callahan's family recognized him and contacted authorities, said Shannon Michelson, his half-sister, who lives in New Jersey. Michelson said she's both relieved and sad that her questions surrounding her brother's disappearance have finally been answered.

"I'm glad it was solved, but I'm also incredibly sad because I wanted so badly to reconnect with him," said Michelson, who said she was among several family members who submitted their DNA to help confirm his identity. She said she had not seen Callahan since she was a child, when their father and his mother separated.

Callahan's mother filed a missing person's report for her son with the Myrtle Beach Police Department in January.

She told authorities that she hadn't heard from her son since June of 1995 when he left to follow the Grateful Dead, according to the report. Lt. Joey Crosby said she told officials that she didn't know where he had been travelling and wasn't sure where to file the report.

Callahan's mother did not immediately respond to a message from The Associated Press on Thursday.

Michelson said Callahan often ran away from home and that his parents just assumed he was living on his own somewhere.

"No one ever thought to report him missing because they thought he wanted to be missing," Michelson said.

-----

Associated Press Writer Larry O'Dell in Richmond contributed to this report.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Police chief renews calls for mass casualty plan in wake of Broncos bus crash

    Canada News CTV News
    REGINA -- A retired police chief wants the coroner's office in Saskatchewan to develop a plan for responding to mass casualties. Former Saskatoon police chief Clive Weighill says the office was tasked with creating such a plan 13 years ago but none exists. Source
  • Ex-NAACP chief who posed as black pleads not guilty to fraud

    World News CTV News
    SPOKANE, Wash. -- A former NAACP leader in Washington state whose life unraveled after she was exposed as a white woman pretending to be black pleaded not guilty to welfare fraud on Wednesday. Nkechi Diallo, formerly known as Rachel Dolezal, made a brief appearance in Spokane County Superior Court. Source
  • 150 years in prison for Quebec mosque shooter would deprive him of hope: defence

    Canada News CTV News
    QUEBEC -- All Canadians have rights, including murderers like Quebec mosque shooter Alexandre Bissonnette, and they also have the capacity to be rehabilitated, the convicted killer's lawyer argued Wednesday. The Crown wants Bissonnette to serve a 150-year prison term but his defence team says he should be eligible for parole after 25 years. Source
  • Winnipeg educational assistant sentenced to 3.5 years for sex with student

    Canada News CTV News
    WINNIPEG -- A former educational assistant who gave a student money, food and drugs as their relationship intensified has been sentenced to 3 1/2 years behind bars for sexual exploitation. Sheryl Dyck, who was 42 at the time, was arrested in 2015 after seven months of having oral sex that progressed to intercourse with the 16-year-old boy. Source
  • Rob Ford's widow gets suspended sentence, 3 years probation in impaired driving case

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- The widow of former Toronto mayor Rob Ford has been given a suspended sentence after pleading guilty to impaired driving. A judge ordered three years of probation and 100 hours of community service for Renata Ford, and also issued a two-year driving ban and a $1,100 fine for the 2016 incident. Source
  • Former Mountie with PTSD sues Ottawa after multiple northern postings

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- A former Mountie suffering from PTSD after multiple postings in isolated, high risk communities has filed a lawsuit against the federal government. In a statement of claim filed in Federal Court in Halifax, a lawyer says John Christopher Bewsher was exposed to "psychologically traumatic events" in Labrador and Nunavut and received no psychological evaluation, support or counselling. Source
  • More documents from Panama Papers law firm leak out, exposing its panic

    World News CBC News
    More private documents from the Panamanian law firm at the centre of one of the biggest-ever leaks of financial records have been exposed, showing how enraged its clients were, global media outlets are revealing today. Mossack Fonseca saw 11.5 million of its client files anonymously leaked to journalists in 2016 in what became known as the Panama Papers. Source
  • World expresses outrage at Trump policy on separating migrant families

    World News CBC News
    Outrage continued to grow around the world Wednesday over the Trump administration's policy of separating migrant parents from children, including infants, at the U.S. southern border. Here is a partial list of the institutions and individuals speaking out against it. Source
  • Drivers began drag race in front of unmarked police car: OPP

    Canada News CTV News
    GODERICH, Ont. -- Provincial police say two young drivers have been charged after allegedly beginning a drag race right in front of an unmarked police car in Goderich, Ont. They say the incident happened last Tuesday at about 10:30 p.m. Source
  • Another honour for Viola Desmond: 'She would be humbled and overjoyed'

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- After decades of being overlooked, human rights trailblazer Viola Desmond is receiving yet another posthumous honour. Desmond, who was inducted into Canada's Walk of Fame in Toronto last year, will be honoured June 29 with a star in her hometown of Halifax. Source