North, South Korea to meet for high-level talks

SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of -- North and South Korea on Friday were set to hold high-level talks at a North Korean border town in their latest step to improve ties after they walked away from a military standoff in August.

See Full Article

No major breakthrough was expected at the meeting between vice-ministerial officials in Kaesong, but analysts said it was meaningful the rivals were carrying out on previously agreed reconciliation efforts.

South Korean officials have expressed hopes of discussing more reunions between aging family members separated by the 1950-53 Korean War. Analysts have said cash-strapped North Korea might seek the South's commitment to restart joint tours to its scenic Diamond Mountain resort, which were suspended by Seoul in 2008 following the shooting death of a South Korean tourist there by North Korean soldiers.

"There are a lot of issues to discuss between the South and North. (We) will do our best to resolve them one at a time, step by step," said Hwang Boogi, South Korea's vice minister of unification and the head negotiator for the talks, before leaving for Kaesong.

Expectations for Friday's meeting were lowered last month when both sides in preparatory negotiations settled for a meeting at the vice-ministerial level, which likely ruled out discussions on more important issues between the rivals.

The countries threatened war against each other last summer over land mine explosions that maimed two South Korean soldiers. The standoff eased in August when they met for marathon talks and agreed on a set of tension-reduction efforts, including resuming talks between senior officials, and holding a new round of reunions for war-separated families, which were held in October.

The Koreas remain technically at war, because the Korean War ended with an armistice, not a peace treaty.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Toronto police arrest man suspected in transit stabbings

    Canada News CTV News
    Toronto police have arrested a man alleged to have stabbed two people while using the city's transit system. The first incident happened early Sunday morning on a Toronto Transit Commission bus in the city's west end. Source
  • Ontario party leaders campaigning in the GTA

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - With a little more than two weeks left before Ontario voters cast their ballots on June 7, all three major party leaders will stick close to the Greater Toronto Area today. Liberal leader Kathleen Wynne will make an announcement at a mental health hospital in Toronto before heading to a downtown variety store and an evening interview with TV network CP24. Source
  • Canadians stranded in Cuba after plane crash begin returning home

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL - A Montreal-based travel agency says hundreds of Canadians who were stuck in Cuba since a plane crash last week are returning home. Caribe Sol said Monday that Cubana Airlines was resuming operations after the passenger jet crash on Friday killed 111 people. Source
  • Trump fundraiser sought to leverage access to Oval Office for fortune in contracts from Persian Gulf

    World News CBC News
    In a pursuit of money and influence that began at U.S. President Donald Trump's inauguration, two American businessmen sought to leverage connections that stretched from Persian Gulf palaces to the Oval Office into more than a billion dollars in contracts. Source
  • Man ordered free decades later in murder case of pizza deliveryman

    World News CTV News
    BATON ROUGE, La. - A Louisiana judge has ordered the release of an inmate whose attorneys have accused prosecutors of withholding "staggering" evidence of the man's innocence in a pizza deliveryman's killing two decades ago. Source
  • Foreign media arrive for North Korea nuclear site closing

    World News CTV News
    WONSAN, Korea, Democratic People's Republic Of - Foreign journalists have arrived in North Korea to cover the dismantling of the country's nuclear test site later this week. South Korean media initially scheduled to join were not allowed onto Tuesday's charter flight from Beijing. Source
  • Depression preceded fatal crash into N.C. restaurant, pastor says

    World News CTV News
    BESSEMER CITY, N.C. - A North Carolina man accused of crashing a car into a restaurant table full of loved ones, killing two, had suffered for weeks with depression and previously asked his family to take his guns away, his pastor says. Source
  • Australian archbishop convicted of child sex abuse cover-up

    World News CBC News
    An Australian archbishop who was the most senior Roman Catholic cleric in the world charged with covering up child sex abuse was convicted Tuesday and faces a potential two years in prison. Magistrate Robert Stone handed down the verdict against Archbishop of Adelaide Philip Wilson in Newcastle Local Court, north of Sydney, following a magistrate-only trial. Source
  • Thousands of Rohingya rape victims expected to give birth

    World News CTV News
    Tens of thousands of pregnant Rohingya women, many of whom are believed to be victims of rape, are expected to give birth in the coming weeks in squalid refugee camps in Bangladesh. Since August 2017, more than 700,000 Rohingya Muslims have fled systematic violence in Buddhist-majority Myanmar for neighbouring Bangladesh in what the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights has labelled a “textbook example of ethnic cleaning. Source
  • What happened to MH370? Canadian duo believe they have the answer

    World News CTV News
    The disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 has baffled investigators for more than four years, but a pair of retired Canadian air crash investigators believe they’ve found the answer. On March 8, 2014, the passenger jet carrying 239 people was travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing but crashed somewhere in the Indian Ocean. Source