'Operator error' blamed for runaway train in Boston

BOSTON -- A six-car train carrying about 50 passengers left a suburban Boston transit station without a driver Thursday and went through four stations without stopping, and investigators were focusing on "operator error" as the reason why.

See Full Article

The trip began shortly after 6 a.m. at the Braintree station and ended about nine minutes later when power was cut to the rails, transportation officials said. No passengers were hurt.

Stephanie Pollack, the state's transportation secretary, said the investigation was focusing on the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority train's operator, who had sought and received permission to move the train despite a signal problem.

The operator, a 51-year-old man with more than 25 years of experience with the MBTA, got off the train to execute a procedure to put the train into "bypass mode." The ongoing probe, Pollack said, was focusing on whether the operator failed to properly secure the braking system before exiting the train.

She also said investigators are looking into reports from riders that a cord appeared to be wrapped around an accelerator in the operator's cab.

"It would be a prohibited act if in fact there was any type of cord that was wrapped in that manner," she said.

The employee suffered a minor injury when he was brushed by the train as it moved away from the station, transit officials said.

The incident was an "unacceptable breech of our responsibility to keep our riders safe," Pollack said at a late afternoon news conference.

Gov. Charlie Baker said earlier in the day that it appeared the runaway train had been tampered with, although he also noted investigators had not determined whether the tampering was due to negligence or something else, and called it an "isolated" incident.

The above-ground Red Line train departed Braintree Station -- the southernmost stop of the line -- sand travelled north toward Boston. MBTA operations employees disabled the train and brought it to a stop by gradually cutting off power to the electrified third rail. Before doing so, they had to quickly clear other trains from the tracks to prevent a collision.

The train travelled at a maximum of 25 mph before being brought to a halt, Pollack said. During that time, MBTA officials weren't able to communicate with passengers.

Red Line trains previously had two operators on each train. That practice was ended in 2011, in part as a cost-saving measure.

"If safety procedures are followed properly, there is no safety problem with operating trains with a single operator," Pollack said.

Fernanda Daly, who was aboard, said nothing seemed unusual about the ride until the train started to slow down and the interior lights went out.

"The people who were on the first car were trying to knock on the door of the conductor and that's when we discovered that there was nobody there," said Daly.

Some passengers tried to open doors or break windows to get off the train after it stopped, she added.

Transit personnel boarded the train after it was stopped and drove it to the JFK/UMass stop, where passengers disembarked.

Transit officials initially contacted the FBI and the state police, but later determined that their assistance would not be needed.

The Federal Transit Administration was assisting with the probe, and Pollack said the National Transportation Safety Board had been contacted but had not yet decided whether to investigate.

Associated Press writers Steve LeBlanc and Mark Pratt contributed to this story.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Wedding ring lost 15 years ago returned

    World News Toronto Sun
    WHITE TOWNSHIP, N.J. — A Christmas tree farmer has found and returned a wedding ring a New Jersey man lost roughly 15 years ago. David Penner says his wedding band slipped off his finger during a visit to Wyckoff’s Tree Farm in White Township with his wife years ago. Source
  • B.C. boy with mysterious broken bones returned to parents

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    VANCOUVER — While watching their son and daughter play in a home near Vancouver’s children’s hospital, a couple from northern British Columbia received the news they had been praying for. The Ministry of Children and Family Development had seized their two children for the second time in October, because their five-year-old son kept suffering unexplained broken bones. Source
  • Boy, 14, killed trying to jump from NYC train to platform

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — Police say a 14-year-old boy has died while attempting to perform a dangerous stunt at a New York City subway station. The New York Police Department says the boy was riding between the cars of a southbound L train when he tried to jump onto the platform at the New Lots Avenue station in Brooklyn around 10:40 p.m. Source
  • Admitted Calgary killer testifies of assassination plan outside courthouse

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Purported gangsters planned to murder a rival gang member as he arrived at court to be sentenced for shooting his own rivals, court heard Wednesday. The Crown’s star witness in the murder conspiracy case, an admitted killer himself who has been granted immunity for his testimony, said he conducted taped conversations with all three accused. Source
  • Trump to meet with victims of Ohio State University attack

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — Donald Trump is going to try to show a more sensitive side Thursday, meeting with victims of last week’s Ohio State University attack, before taking his “thank you” road show to three more states that supported him in the election. Source
  • Dads beware: Men over 50 most at risk of Christmas-related injury

    Canada News CTV News
    The next time you see Dad hanging awkwardly off the roof trying to put up Christmas lights, don't believe him when he says "I've got this." That overconfidence puts him at higher risk of being injured in a fall this holiday season, according to the B.C. Source
  • Human rights group, worried about HIV, urges Philippines action

    World News CTV News
    MANILA, Philippines -- A human rights group says the Philippines is facing one of the fastest growing epidemics of HIV in the Asia Pacific, fueled by government policies that restrict intervention, including access to condoms by men who have sex with men. Source
  • Driver of deadly crash had history of accidents, seizures

    World News Toronto Sun
    BALTIMORE — The man who crashed a Baltimore school bus into a transit bus, killing himself and five other people, had been in at least a dozen car accidents in the past five years, had a history of seizures and other medical issues, and recently had his commercial driver’s license privileges suspended because of an outdated medical certificate, according to federal transportation investigators. Source
  • Accused pizza shop gunman says he regrets how he handled the situation

    World News Toronto Sun
    SALISBURY, N.C. — The man accused of firing an assault rifle inside a Washington restaurant said he regrets how he handled the situation but refused to completely dismiss the false online claims involving a child sex ring that brought him there. Source
  • Police arrest 18-year-old in baseball bat attack on Hamilton teen

    Canada News CBC News
    Hamilton police have arrested and charged an 18-year-old with aggravated assault and robbery in connection with the attack on Noah Rabbani, the 15-year-old who was brutally beaten while walking home from a friend's house late last month. Source