5 charged with planning Australian 'terrorist' attack

SYDNEY, Australia -- A teenager and four men were charged Thursday with planning a "terrorist" attack on an Australian government building, part of an ongoing investigation into the alleged plot, police said.

See Full Article

A 15-year-old and 20-year-old man from western Sydney were arrested and charged with "conspiracy to conduct an act in preparation for a terrorist act," said Michael Phelan, the Australian federal police's deputy commissioner of national security. Three other men, already jailed on separate terror charges, were later charged with the same offence, police said. All face a potential sentence of life in prison if convicted.

Officials said the arrests were not related to a new terror threat, but linked to a plot they uncovered a year ago that prompted a series of raids in Sydney in December 2014. That plot involved a plan to target a government building in Sydney, possibly a federal police building, Phelan said. Those arrested Thursday had been under police surveillance since then, which led to the charges.

Phelan was vague on details of the alleged plot, and said police weren't sure exactly what role the teen may have played in the planning, what the specific target would have been or how the attack was to be carried out. Police believe the plot, and another one that would have targeted a random member of the public in Sydney, were influenced by extremists overseas, Phelan said.

"A lot of the people we are dealing with -- and emphasizing this is only a small group of people -- are clearly radicalized to the point of talking about and acting out with violence. How they've become radicalized, we don't actually know," he said.

Police have conducted a steady stream of raids across the country since the government raised the nation's terrorism warning level in September 2014 in response to the domestic threat posed by supporters of the Islamic State group.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Three-year-old girl's sundress deemed inappropriate for pre-school

    Canada News CTV News
    A three-year-old girl won’t be allowed to wear a sundress she loves to pre-school anymore after staff deemed the straps on the outfit inappropriate, a Winnipeg family says. Sadie Stonehouse said the pre-school has put her in the uncomfortable position of having to explain to her daughter, Lola, why the sundress isn’t allowed – a conversation she fears will make her three-year-old question her body. Source
  • Trump had to 'face the music' that U.S., North Korea worlds apart on nuclear deal

    World News CBC News
    Donald Trump's decision to scrap a historic summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un was inevitable, some experts say, but there is still hope the meeting can happen. Jonathan Pollack, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution Center for East Asia Policy Studies, doesn't think the sudden scuttling of the summit was a strategic move by the president. Source
  • Toronto opens 800 beds for asylum seekers, asks for millions in provincial, federal help

    Canada News CTV News
    After announcing the opening of 800 additional beds for refugee claimants, the City of Toronto is demanding that the federal and provincial governments help cover more than $64 million it will have spent dealing with Canada’s influx of asylum seekers by the end of 2018. Source
  • VIA Rail apologizes to passengers as train delay reaches 45 hours

    Canada News CBC News
    VIA Rail is apologizing to its passengers, who are currently on a cross-country trip 45 hours behind schedule, saying the delays are "beyond our control." "We understand the impact this major delay has on our customers and we apologize for the inconvenience they cause," said spokesperson Mylène Bélanger, in an emailed statement. Source
  • Toddler left in car died from prolonged heat exposure: police

    Canada News CTV News
    A toddler found in a hot vehicle in the Greater Toronto Area died after being exposed to sweltering temperatures for a prolonged time, police have confirmed. No charges have been laid in the death of the child, described by Halton Regional Police as a three-year-old boy. Source
  • Police confirm Burlington, Ont., toddler died after being left in vehicle on hot day

    Canada News CBC News
    An autopsy has concluded a toddler left in a car parked outside a Burlington, Ont., television station Wednesday died after being exposed to high temperatures for an extended period of time, according to Halton Regional Police. Source
  • Police confirm toddler died from being left in hot vehicle parked in Burlington, Ont.

    Canada News CBC News
    An autopsy has concluded a toddler left in a car parked outside a Burlington, Ont., television station Wednesday died after being exposed to high temperatures for an extended period of time, according to Halton Regional Police. Source
  • China scolds U.S. for pulling invitation to major naval drill

    World News CBC News
    China's Defence Ministry expressed regret on Thursday after the United States withdrew an invitation to China to attend a major U.S.-hosted naval drill, saying that closing the door does not promote mutual trust and co-operation. The Rim of the Pacific exercise, known as RIMPAC and previously attended by China, is billed as the world's largest international maritime exercise and held every two years in Hawaii in June and July. Source
  • Signed 'Humboldt Jersey' makes stop in Regina for Memorial Cup

    Canada News CBC News
    Amanda Mumm says the Humboldt Jersey showed her just how far-reaching the effects of April's tragic bus crash have been. "So many hockey players have been touched. So many families have been touched. It's unbelievable. It really is," said the Regina woman. Source
  • Legal fumble could derail trial of online gambling mogul David Baazov

    Canada News CBC News
    Quebec's securities regulator, the Autorité des marchés financiers? (AMF), appears to have shared too much information in its court fight against former online gambling mogul David Baazov, and now that legal fumble could scuttle the whole trial. Baazov is the former CEO of Montreal-based Amaya. Source