Saudi FM says Assad must leave peacefully or be forced out of power

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia -- Syrian President Bashar Assad has two choices, "either to leave through negotiations" or be forcibly removed from power, the Saudi foreign minister said on Thursday, arguing that the Syrian people would not accept any other outcomes.

See Full Article

Speaking to reporters during a two-day meeting of Syrian opposition groups taking place in the Saudi capital, Riyadh, Adel al-Jubeir said he hoped the various factions can come up with a common vision for Syria.

The meeting, which ends on Thursday, aims at forming a unified front ahead of proposed peace negotiations with Assad's government.

A peace plan agreed last month by 20 nations meeting in Vienna set a Jan. 1 deadline for the start of talks between Assad's government and opposition groups.

Al-Jubeir said the Riyadh convention aimed to put the opposition in a "stronger position" by agreeing on shared principles for future peace negotiations. He added that he wanted to remove any opportunity for critics to accuse the Syrian opposition of being too fragmented and lacking a vision for the future.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, speaking at a climate conference outside Paris on Thursday, said the talks in Riyadh have been "very constructive."

"I think everybody is moving in the direction that they want to rapidly get to a political process and get it under way under U.N. auspices. So we made progress but we have some tough issues to get over," he said.

Saudi Arabia has been a key backer of Sunni opposition blocs pushing for Assad's ouster throughout the nearly five year old Syria conflict. Among those participating in the meetings in Riyadh are hardline Saudi-backed groups such as Jaysh al-Islam and Ahrar al-Sham, who had long rejected any negotiations with Assad's government while he remained in power.

The largest bloc at the meeting, with around 20 delegates, is the Western-backed opposition group known as the Syrian National Coalition. Also in attendance are representatives of the Syria-based National Coordination Body, an organization sometimes accused by other opposition members of being too conciliatory toward Assad's government.

Al-Jubeir repeated Saudi Arabia's longstanding position that Syria's president must go.

"As I said before, Bashar Assad has two solutions: Leave through negotiations, which is easier and better for all. Or he will have to leave through fighting because the Syrian people refuse that this regime and person stays in power," he said.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • As budget deadline looms, Trump pushes border wall funding

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- With a budget deadline looming, U.S. President Donald Trump plans a whirlwind of activities seeking to highlight accomplishments while putting fresh pressure on congressional Democrats to pay for a wall on the U.S. Source
  • Hamilton man in naval spy case wants info on CSIS wiretaps of Chinese Embassy

    Canada News CBC News
    A naval engineer from Hamilton, accused of trying to spy for Beijing, is asking a federal judge for full access to information about Canadian Security Intelligence Service wiretaps of the Chinese Embassy. Qing Quentin Huang says federal secrecy has placed him in an "impossible position" as he prepares to defend against espionage charges. Source
  • Haley won’t rule out strike vs North Korea for nuke testing

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Nikki Haley, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, isn’t ruling out a U.S. strike against North Korea if Pyongyang tests another nuclear missile. Haley spoke on several television networks Monday morning, praising China’s involvement in trying to pressure North Korea to cease missile testing and criticized its leader, Kim Jong Un, as unstable and paranoid. Source
  • Swedish police arrest second suspect in truck attack

    World News Toronto Sun
    HELSINKI — Swedish police say they have arrested a second person in a truck attack that killed four people and injured 15 others in Stockholm earlier this month. Police spokesman Simon Bynlert said Monday that the male suspect was arrested Sunday, but gave no details. Source
  • Arizona teacher accused of masturbating on camera for 13-year-old middle school student

    World News Toronto Sun
    An Arizona teacher faces multiple charges after her extracurricular activities allegedly included masturbating on camera for a Grade 7 pupil. The father of a 13-year-old male student at Tempe's Fees College Preparatory Middle School blew the whistle on Kara Loofborough last week and accused the 26-year-old science teacher of engaging in raunchy, x-rated online conversations with his son outside school hours. Source
  • Wife of slain Mountie says trial of RCMP on labour charges is necessary

    Canada News CTV News
    MONCTON, N.B. -- The wife of one of three New Brunswick Mounties killed by a gunman on June 4, 2014, says a trial against the RCMP, that starts today, will be emotional but necessary. Nadine Larche says change is needed in the RCMP before tragic history repeats itself. Source
  • Family identifies toddler found dead outside Edmonton church

    Canada News CTV News
    With police in Edmonton saying they'll release more information on the case of a toddler found dead outside a city church, family members are confirming the boy’s identity. The child’s name was Anthony Joseph Raine, family members told CTV Edmonton on Sunday. Source
  • Trial resumes for former student charged in death of university physics student

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- A trial resumes today for a former Halifax medical student accused of first-degree murder in the death of 22-year-old physics student Taylor Samson. William Sandeson was charged with first-degree murder on Aug. Source
  • Israel indicts teen over threats against Jewish centres in Canada, U.S.

    Canada News CBC News
    Israel has indicted 18-year-old American-Israeli dual citizen for a wave of bomb threats against Jewish community centres in the United States and Canada that stoked fears of rising anti-Semitism. Israel's Justice Ministry said the accused, who is Jewish, was charged at a district court in Tel Aviv for thousands of cases of extortion, computer offences, money laundering and publishing false information that caused panic. Source
  • Israel indicts teen linked to threats on Jewish centres

    World News CBC News
    Israel has indicted 18-year-old American-Israeli dual citizen for a wave of bomb threats against Jewish community centres in the United States and Canada that stoked fears of rising anti-Semitism. Israel's Justice Ministry said the accused, who is Jewish, was charged at a district court in Tel Aviv for thousands of cases of extortion, computer offences, money laundering and publishing false information that caused panic. Source