Geneva police searching for suspects in connection with Paris attacks

Geneva police were "actively searching" for suspects in connection with an investigation into the Paris attacks last month, Swiss security officials said Thursday.

See Full Article

Geneva's security department said that city authorities received word on Wednesday that Swiss federal authorities had flagged "suspicious individuals who could be in Geneva or the Geneva region."

Police were also increasing their counterterrorism vigilance level, and were working with international and national authorities to locate the suspects, the statement said. It didn't specify how many people were being sought or provide their identities.

Authorities were increasing police deployments in Geneva. The U.N. office in Geneva was also increasing its security precautions in connection with the enhanced measures by city police.

The Nov. 13 attacks on Paris, claimed by the Islamic State group, left 130 people dead and hundreds of others wounded. Salah Abdeslam, a fugitive suspected in the deadly attacks in Paris, is still at large. Several arrests were made in Belgium following the attacks.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Any suspect charged in pregnant woman's death will also face charges in death of her child

    Canada News CTV News
    Toronto police say any suspect charged in the fatal shooting of a 33-year-old pregnant woman last year will also be charged in the death of her baby, who was delivered prematurely. The infant son of Candice Rochelle Bobb died in hospital last June, roughly a month after the shooting. Source
  • Aid workers leave famine-hit South Sudan area for safety

    World News CTV News
    KAMPALA, Uganda -- The United Nations says aid workers in a famine-stricken region of South Sudan have been forced to relocate because of insecurity, complicating efforts to help more than 100,000 affected people. The U.N. Source
  • Ontario wants public feedback on online ticket sales, 'scalper bots'

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Ontario is looking for public feedback as it crafts legislation to improve the process of buying and selling tickets online for shows and games. The Liberal government said last year it would look at tackling computer "scalper bots" after an outcry from fans who were shut out of buying tickets to the Tragically Hip's farewell tour. Source
  • 8,000 flee as Iraqi forces fight Islamic State in western Mosul: UN

    World News CTV News
    BAGHDAD -- The United Nations says about 8,000 people have fled from the western part of Mosul and surrounding villages since Iraqi forces launched the push to take the western half of the city from the Islamic State group. Source
  • Plane nose-dives into California homes, killing 3 people [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    RIVERSIDE, Calif. — A small plane crashed into two homes in Riverside Monday evening shortly after taking off from a nearby airport, leaving fiery wreckage that nearly destroyed one of the homes, officials said. The Cessna 310 aircraft crashed shortly after taking off from Riverside Municipal Airport, the Federal Aviation Administration said. Source
  • Vandalism to Jewish cemetery spurs major volunteer effort

    World News CTV News
    PHILADELPHIA -- Scores of volunteers are expected to help in an organized effort to clean up and restore a Jewish cemetery in Philadelphia where vandals damaged hundreds of headstones. The Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia says the work at Mount Carmel Cemetery will start Tuesday and take place each afternoon. Source
  • Pennsylvania nurse James Close allegedly recorded videos of naked patients: Police

    World News Toronto Sun
    YARDLEY, PA. - Authorities say a Pennsylvania nurse recorded videos of naked female patients. Lower Makefield police say 45-year-old James Close, of Abington, who works at Penn Medicine Dermatology, was arrested on Feb. 13 after a 17-year-old patient noticed a phone on the ground had been recording her while naked. Source
  • Audi driver pleads guilty after video shows him mowing down man in road-rage

    Canada News CTV News
    GRAPHIC CONTENT warning: Some of the content in this video is disturbing. SAINT JOHN, N.B. -- A 69-year-old man has pleaded guilty after being captured on video mowing down another man in a Saint John, N.B. Source
  • After decades in Canada, 59-year-old man faces deportation to Netherlands

    Canada News CTV News
    On the day a 59-year-old man who has lived in Canada almost his whole life, but never obtained citizenship, is due in court over his scheduled deportation to the Netherlands, an immigration lawyer explains how other long-time residents of this country could suddenly find themselves ordered out. Source
  • Former teacher and ex-softball coach Robert Ruben Ornelas sentenced for assaulting girls in Philippines

    World News Toronto Sun
    SANTA ANA, CALIF. - A former Southern California teacher has been sentenced to 190 years in federal prison for travelling to the Philippines to have sex with young girls and videotaping the encounters. Robert Ruben Ornelas was found guilty in November on seven counts including having illicit sexual conduct in a foreign country and producing child pornography. Source