Calif. card clubs raided in $10M illegal gambling probe

SAN DIEGO - Authorities raided two card clubs on Wednesday and made arrests in seven states as they dismembered a massive illegal gambling operation that allegedly ran card games out of Southern California mansions, took bets from Canada to Mexico and laundered $10 million through San Diego County card clubs and Las Vegas casinos.

See Full Article

Hundreds of federal and local agents raided Seven Mile Casino in Chula Vista and the Palomar Card Room in San Diego and seized more than $600,000 from player accounts and bank accounts, according to a statement from the U.S. attorney's office.

California's Bureau of Gambling Control issued emergency orders closing the card rooms immediately.

The clubs and their owners are charged with ignoring anti-money laundering laws, such as failing to report cash transactions over $10,000.

They were among 25 people indicted by a federal grand jury in San Diego in November. They face various charges ranging from conspiracy and illegal gambling to transportation for prostitution.

All but a handful of people were arrested Wednesday in Southern and Northern California, Arizona, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Pennsylvania and Iowa, according to the U.S. attorney's office, which will seek their extradition to San Diego.

Federal prosecutors contend that for at least two years, a bookmaking operation made millions through illegal offshore sports betting and other gaming websites and underground casinos at various locations, including rented mansions in the wealth San Diego County enclave of Rancho Santa Fe.

"Up to three times a week, some defendants held intimate high-stakes poker and blackjack games in extravagant settings that featured professional card dealers, prostitutes, chefs and waitresses," according to the U.S. attorney's office.

Four people pleaded not guilty Wednesday in San Diego to various charges involved with their alleged recruitment of clients for the gambling operation.

One defendant, Craig Kolk, works at an American Indian tribal casino at Barona, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported.

Kolk has known about the investigation for more than a year, his lawyer, Jeremy Warren, told the paper.

"The FBI should be protecting us from terrorists, not from someone hoping to make an inside straight," Warren said.

The lead defendant in the case is David "Fat Dave" Stroj of San Diego.

It wasn't immediately clear whether he was jailed. There was no public telephone listing for him in San Diego and it wasn't immediately known whether he had obtained a lawyer.

According to the U.S. attorney's office, Stroj allegedly "used financiers, a business manager, sub-agents, money runners, money couriers and debt collectors" to run a bookmaking operation that handled $2 million a month in bets and in one month last year netted him more than $500,000 in profits.

The warrant contended that Stroj had more than 360 clients and operated in San Diego, Los Angeles, Chicago, Las Vegas, South Carolina and Florida, as well as Toronto, Canada and Tijuana, Mexico.

Prosecutors contend that an estimated $10 million was laundered through bank accounts, shell companies, a Las Vegas bail bond business, the card clubs and the Wynn and Bellagio casinos in Las Vegas.

The casinos were not charged with any wrongdoing.

The bookmaking clients would write checks to the casinos or card clubs and the money would be placed in player accounts so it could be withdrawn in the form of cash or chips, authorities said.

A call to the Palomar club went unanswered Wednesday night.

A message left for a Seven Mile representative was not immediately returned. A casino statement said it looks forward to working with the "Bureau of Gambling Control to resolve all issues."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Gunmen attack Coptic Christians in Egypt

    World News CBC News
    Gunmen attacked a bus carrying a group of Coptic Christians in Egypt on Friday, killing a number of them, eyewitnesses said. Early reports put the death toll between 10 and 23. The governor of Minya province, where the attack occurred, said another 25 had been injured. Source
  • Manchester tattoo parlours buzzing as people commemorate attack with ink

    World News CBC News
    The Mancunian bee: striped and winged, of course, and rather simply drawn in black ink. The worker bee has been the symbol of Manchester for nearly 200 years. This past week it was picked up and dusted off by a city racked with grief, becoming one of the most unexpected and potent symbols of defiance in the wake of the attack that shook this city to its core Monday, when 22 people, including several children, were killed by a suspected suicide bomber at a packed Ariana Grande concert. Source
  • 3 questions about Trump's push for a probe into Manchester leaks

    World News CBC News
    U.S. President Donald Trump has called leaks to U.S. media about the Manchester bombing investigation "deeply troubling" and vowed to find out what happened. Responding to British Prime Minister Theresa May's outrage over a New York Times story publishing forensic photos of the crime scene, Trump said the leaks were a "grave threat to our national security. Source
  • Free trade, climate among issues on Trudeau agenda at G7 summit in Italy

    World News CBC News
    Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland says Canada will champion the benefits of free trade and action on climate change at the G7 Summit in Taormina, Sicily, even as U.S. President Donald Trump tries to steer the world in another direction. Source
  • U.K. police arrest 9th man in concert bombing investigation

    World News CBC News
    British police investigating the Manchester Arena bombing have arrested a ninth man while continuing to search addresses associated with the bomber who killed 22 concert-goers. Eight other men are in custody in connection with Monday's atrocity, with police and security agencies working to prevent further attacks. Source
  • Philippines says foreigners among ISIS-linked gunmen fighting government troops

    World News CBC News
    Foreign fighters are among the militants linked to the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria group who are battling government troops in the southern Philippines, an official said Friday. Solicitor General Jose Calida said Indonesians and Malaysians are fighting alongside the gunmen who attacked Marawi, a city of some 200,000 people on Mindanao island. Source
  • Republican wins U.S. election race 1 day after being charged with assault

    World News CBC News
    Republican multimillionaire Greg Gianforte won Montana's only U.S. House seat on Thursday despite being charged a day earlier with assault after witnesses said he grabbed a reporter by the neck and threw him to the ground. Source
  • Republican wins U.S. election 1 day after being charged with assault

    World News CBC News
    Republican multimillionaire Greg Gianforte won Montana's only U.S. House seat on Thursday despite being charged a day earlier with assault after witnesses said he grabbed a reporter by the neck and threw him to the ground. Source
  • Greg Gianforte wins U.S. House race day after charged with assault

    World News Toronto Sun
    BOZEMAN, Mont. — Republican multimillionaire Greg Gianforte won Montana’s only U.S. House seat on Thursday despite being charged a day earlier with assault after witnesses said he grabbed a reporter by the neck and threw him to the ground. Source
  • $95.6M awarded to Philadelphia building collapse survivor who suffered a 'guillotine amputation'

    World News Toronto Sun
    PHILADELPHIA — An arbitrator has awarded $95.6 million to a Ukrainian immigrant who was seriously injured in a 2013 Philadelphia building collapse. Mariya Plekan’s attorney, Andrew Stern, announced the division of the $227 million settlement on Thursday. Source