Quebec court rejects bid to have hearings into Energy East suspended

MONTREAL -- A Quebec court has rejected a request by an environmental coalition to have hearings into the Energy East pipeline project suspended.

See Full Article

The coalition was seeking the injunction because it believes the hearings will not be complete without impact studies from TransCanada PipeLines Ltd., which is behind the $15.7-billion project.

Friday's court decision paves the way for Quebec's environmental regulation agency to begin the hearings Monday.

Quebec Environment Minister David Heurtel announced this week the province was also going to court to ensure TransCanada's plans for the Quebec portion of the project respect the province's laws and regulations.

Louis Bergeron, vice-president in Quebec and New Brunswick for Energy East, said the BAPE (the French-language acronym for the environment review body) already has most of the necessary documentation Heurtel said the government wanted to see.

On Friday, TransCanada (TSX:TRP) said it is committed to participating in the hearings, which will take place in Levis, across the St. Lawrence River from Quebec City.

"We remain confident this BAPE process can address Quebecers' concerns adequately," Bergeron said in a statement after the Quebec Superior Court ruling.

Energy East would carry 1.1 million barrels a day of western crude as far east as Saint John, N.B., serving domestic refineries and international customers.

The project has run into stiff opposition in Quebec, with the mayors of Montreal and surrounding municipalities arguing that environmental risks outweigh the economic rewards.



Advertisements

Latest Economic News

  • Sask. premier invites Calgary energy companies to move to Saskatchewan

    Economic CBC News
    Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall is taking a turf war with Alberta to its economic heart, inviting energy companies based in Calgary to move their headquarters to his province. In a letter to Whitecap Resources, Wall offers to subsidize relocation costs, trim taxes and royalties and help find space in unused government buildings if the oil and gas firm moves to Saskatchewan. Source
  • Etihad to lend U.S.-bound passengers iPads as ban workaround

    Economic CTV News
    DUBAI, United Arab Emirates -- One Mideast airline affected by the ban on most electronics in the cabins of U.S.-bound flights will lend iPads to its top-paying travellers. Etihad Airways said on Wednesday that it will offer the tablets to U.S. Source
  • Bombardier senior execs earned nearly 50 per cent more in 2016

    Economic CTV News
    MONTREAL - Bombardier's senior executives saw their compensation rise by nearly 50 per cent last year at a time when it laid off thousands of workers, sought government aid and saw the first CSeries passenger jet take flight. Source
  • Fact check: U.S. President Trump didn't get luxury-model Air Force One

    Economic CTV News
    KIRKLAND, Wash. -- A widely shared story that claims to include photos of a recently delivered plane that will serve as Air Force One for U.S. President Donald Trump is false. The pictures included in the story do not show the presidential plane and are conceptual renderings from an outfitter of luxury aircraft. Source
  • Manulife picks head of its Asia division as president

    Economic CTV News
    TORONTO - A relative newcomer to the senior ranks of Manulife Financial Corp. (TSX:MFC) has been picked to be the insurer's president, responsible for its global operations including Canada. Roy Gori, who joined the Canadian life insurance and wealth management company in early 2015, has been responsible for Manulife's Asia division. Source
  • Toshiba says Westinghouse files for bankruptcy protection

    Economic CTV News
    TOKYO -- Japan's embattled Toshiba Corp. said Wednesday that its U.S. nuclear unit Westinghouse Electric Co. has filed for bankruptcy protection, marking a key step in its struggles to stop the flow of massive red ink. Source
  • Ford recalls 440,000 vehicles for fire risk, door latch trouble

    Economic CBC News
    The Ford Fusion V6 Sport is seen in this promotional image. (Ford) Ford is recalling more than 440,000 vehicles in North America including more than 20,000 in Canada to fix problems that can cause engine fires and doors to open unexpectedly. Source
  • Ford recalls 440K vehicles for fire risk, door latch trouble

    Economic CTV News
    DETROIT -- Ford is recalling more than 440,000 vehicles in North America to fix problems that can cause engine fires and doors to open unexpectedly. The first recall covers over 230,000 Escape SUVs, Fiesta ST subcompacts, Fusion midsize cars and Transit Connect vans with 1.6-litre turbocharged engines from 2013 through 2015. Source
  • Ford recalls more than 570K vehicles for fire risk, door latch trouble

    Economic CTV News
    DETROIT -- Ford is recalling more than 570,000 vehicles in North America and Europe to fix separate problems that can cause engine fires and doors to fly open unexpectedly. The recalls will hit the company's bottom line in the first quarter of this year. Source
  • Ford recalls 570K vehicles for fire risk, door latch trouble

    Economic CTV News
    DETROIT -- Ford is recalling more than 570,000 vehicles in North America and Europe to fix separate problems that can cause engine fires and doors to fly open unexpectedly. The recalls will hit the company's bottom line in the first quarter of this year. Source