Samsung warns of tough 2016 after profit sinks

SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of - Samsung Electronics reported Thursday a bigger-than-expected decline in fourth quarter earnings as its mainstay smartphone and semiconductor businesses suffered from weakening global demand for consumer electronics.

See Full Article

The South Korean company also warned a recovery in profit is unlikely during the first half of this year due to a tough business environment.

Samsung's net profit for the October-December period plunged 40 per cent from a year earlier to 3.2 trillion won ($2.7 billion).

The result fell short of expectations, even after considering the negative impact from foreign currency exchange rates estimated at 400 billion won. A survey of analysts by financial data provider FactSet forecast net profit of 5.1 trillion won.

Sales edged up 1 per cent to 53.3 trillion won for the quarter. Operating income rose 16 per cent to 6.1 trillion won, in line with Samsung's earnings preview earlier this month.

The latest results reflect additional challenges for Samsung as its semiconductor business, which helped offset declining earnings from smartphones since mid-2014, joined the mobile division in a profit slowdown.

Weakening global demand for smartphones and other consumer electronics products is taking a toll on Samsung's sales of mobile components to companies such as Apple, as well as sales of Samsung's own mobile devices.

The company is the world's largest maker of memory chips that are used in PCs and mobile devices. It is also the world's largest maker of smartphones and television sets.

For the full year, it earned 19.1 trillion won ($15.8 billion), down 19 per cent from the previous year and the lowest level in four years. It was the second year in a row with a decline in annual net income after the company's earnings peaked at 30.5 trillion won in 2013.

During the final quarter of 2015, the semiconductor business reported its first quarter-over-quarter profit decline in more than one year. It logged 2.8 trillion won in operating income, about 25 per cent lower than the previous quarter but slightly higher than a year earlier. In addition to the softer global demand for mobile devices and PCs, an oversupply of memory chips that pushed down prices also drove the weaker-than-expected profit growth.

The mobile phone business posted its second straight quarterly profit decline with 2.2 trillion won in operating income. Even though Samsung rolled out its high-end smartphones sooner than usual, including the Galaxy Edge series with curved displays, they failed to increase premium smartphone shipments as consumers flocked to cheaper smartphones.

Samsung is not the only smartphone maker struggling to increase sales of premium smartphones. Apple, which reported earnings earlier this week, forecast its first year-over-year sales decline in 13 years.

The maker of Galaxy smartphones will likely not see a revival in its profit anytime soon.

"It would be a challenge to maintain the 2015 operating profit level as we expect weak macroeconomic conditions and the IT demand to persist during the first half," Robert Yi, a senior vice-president at Samsung, said on a conference call.

"However, we expect the business conditions to improve in the second half driven by the strong seasonality in set businesses," he said referring to mobile phones, home appliances and TVs.

Apparently aware of growing pressure to seek new revenue sources, Samsung gave out some hints about its future plans. It pointed to transparent, mirror, automotive and flexible displays as future display business areas. And it singled out home and health as areas it will initially focus on with Internet-connected gadgets and home appliances.

Samsung reiterated its promise to increase shareholder returns and announced an additional plan to buy back and cancel shares. But the move did little to shore up its share price. After the earnings release, the company's shares traded 3 per cent lower.



Advertisements

Latest Economic News

  • Unifor says it has left Canadian Labour Congress over dispute

    Economic CBC News
    ?Unifor, the largest private sector union in Canada, says it is splitting with the Canadian Labour Congress over disagreements about the rights of workers to choose which union should represent them. In a letter to the CLC, Unifor national president Jerry Dias and Quebec director Renaud Gagne say the congress has been less than supportive of its concern about American-based unions "trampling on the rights" of workers and their right to choose representation or express dissent. Source
  • Bread price-fixing documents won't be unsealed Thursday, Loblaw says

    Economic CTV News
    BRAMPTON, Ont. -- Loblaw says court documents regarding an alleged industry-wide bread price-fixing scheme won't be released tomorrow after an unidentified individual filed an application against releasing them. The information to obtain, which outlines why the Competition Bureau wanted search warrants in the case against at least seven companies, including Canada's three major grocers, has been sealed for 30 days and was scheduled to be released Thursday morning. Source
  • Home Capital vows to defend itself against short seller's $4M lawsuit

    Economic CTV News
    TORONTO -- Home Capital Group (TSX:HCG) says it vows to defend itself against misrepresentation claims in a $4-million lawsuit filed by a short seller against the alternative lender and three of its former executives. The company issued a response after California-based short seller Marc Cohodes on Monday filed a statement of claim with the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, alleging that the company's misrepresentations in its financial reporting cost him millions when he closed his position…
  • Home Capital vows to defend itself against short seller's lawsuit

    Economic CBC News
    Home Capital Group days it vows to defend itself against misrepresentation claims in a $4-million lawsuit filed by a short seller against the alternative lender and three of its former executives. The company issued a response after California-based short seller Marc Cohodes on Monday filed a statement of claim with the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, alleging that the company's misrepresentations in its financial reporting cost him millions when he closed his position early. Source
  • Canada's new distillery district? Nova Scotia sees explosion in craft spirits

    Economic CTV News
    HALIFAX -- Nova Scotia has kindled an explosion of spirit makers -- there are now 16 in Canada's second-smallest province -- through attractive craft-distillery policies and collaborations with local farmers. The Nova Scotia Liquor Corporation says 12 of those distilleries have popped up in the last five years, serving rum, gin, vodka and other spirits. Source
  • Loblaw, CRA face off in court in dispute that could cost grocery giant $404M

    Economic CTV News
    TORONTO -- Loblaw Companies Ltd. and the Canada Revenue Agency faced off in a Toronto court Wednesday in a $404-million dispute involving allegations that the grocery giant's Barbadian banking subsidiary was misused for tax avoidance. Source
  • Fed survey finds solid U.S. growth and rising wages

    Economic CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- The Federal Reserve reported Wednesday that the economy was growing at a moderate pace at the start of the year, with the majority of business contacts optimistic about prospects for 2018. In its latest survey of business conditions nationwide, the Fed said that wages were rising at a modest pace. Source
  • Bombardier won't confirm pending order in Iran for 10 regional jets

    Economic CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Bombardier Inc. will not confirm a published report in Iran that the Canadian planemaker is finalizing its first commercial aircraft order in the Middle Eastern country. The Quebec-based company has acknowledged in the past that it was exploring opportunities in Iran. Source
  • Royal Bank raises prime lending rate to 3.45% in wake of Bank of Canada decision

    Economic CTV News
    TORONTO -- The Royal Bank of Canada (TSX:RY) is raising its prime lending rate by a quarter of a percentage point in the wake of the Bank of Canada's decision to raise its key interest rate target. Source
  • Canadian banks raise prime lending rate to 3.45% in wake of Bank of Canada move

    Economic CTV News
    TORONTO -- Canada's biggest banks will hike their prime rate by a quarter of a percentage point on Thursday, putting financial pressure on homeowners with variable rate mortgages. The Royal Bank of Canada (TSX:RY) was first to announce its prime rate will rise to 3.45 per cent, shortly after the Bank of Canada raised its key short-term rate by a quarter-point to 1.25 per cent. Source