Rio Tinto freezes non-union salaries in anticipation of tough 2016

MONTREAL -- Mining giant Rio Tinto has frozen the salaries of its global non-unionized workforce, including many in Canada, as it prepares to weather an expected tough year.

See Full Article

In a note to employees, CEO Sam Walsh said cost-cutting efforts over the last three years have not been enough to offset falling metal prices and the "very sobering" outlook for 2016.

"From the CEO down, we are implementing a salary freeze for 2016," he said.

"This decision was a very difficult one. I'm sure you are disappointed by it, as am I, but it is necessary given the market context."

It marks the first wage freeze in more than a decade for Rio Tinto's global aluminum division, which is based in Montreal.

The company's Canadian operations, which also include non-aluminum operations, have a total of about 12,000 employees. The number of non-unionized workers was not available.

Although bonuses will continue, Rio Tinto is also limiting travel by making better use of technology.

Walsh said the global economy remains sluggish as China's economic growth has fallen and demand has shifted from metals-intensive sectors like infrastructure and construction to consumer spending.

China accounts for as much as 40 to 50 per cent of global commodity demand, according to consultants PwC. Its economic growth is forecast to drop below seven per cent a year from double digits in recent years and commodity prices are tracking it lower.

Commodities prices are around the 2005 levels or lower. Rio Tinto has been particularly hit by the dramatic drop in iron ore prices, its largest commodity.

The price of copper has dropped about 30 per cent in the past year and gold 11 per cent, while the price of iron ore has about halved. Many companies have responded by cutting costs and reducing capital spending.

Anglo American announced last month that it was shedding 85,000 employees or more than 60 per cent of its workforce and reassessing its huge operations to cope.

Walsh warned that the pressure won't let up.

"This situation is not temporary and our industry is now moving into the new normal, which means we must continue to be one step ahead."

With files from The Associated Press



Advertisements

Latest Economic News

  • Union representing 2,000 Quebec workers unsure about CSeries Airbus deal

    Economic CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Quebec workers with Bombardier's CSeries plane program have mixed feelings about the deal with Airbus giving the European aerospace giant a controlling stake in the aircraft, a union representative said Tuesday. David Chartrand, Quebec co-ordinator for the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, said the deal means access to a massive market and possibly more jobs. Source
  • Sears Canada's registered retirement plan appoints new administrator

    Economic CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- Morneau Shepell is taking over administration of Sears Canada Inc.'s registered retirement plan. The Financial Services Commission of Ontario says in a statement that the Ontario Superintendent of Financial Services appointed the human resources consulting and technology company after a competitive tendering process. Source
  • Liberals to narrow scope of passive-income measure for private corporations

    Economic CBC News
    The federal government is moving to pare down its controversial tax proposal on passive income so that it will only affect three per cent of private corporations. Finance Minister Bill Morneau will be in New Brunswick on Wednesday to unveil changes to his passive investment proposal so that it only targets unfair tax advantages used by the wealthy, a senior government official told The Canadian Press. Source
  • Freeland calls U.S. NAFTA demands 'troubling' and 'unconventional'

    Economic CBC News
    Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland accused the United States of deliberately trying to undermine the North American Free Trade Agreement, calling its list of unconventional proposals "troubling." Her remarks came during a tense joint news conference as the fourth round of NAFTA talks wrapped up in Arlington, Va. Source
  • Veteran investor booted from Sprott board after racist comments

    Economic CTV News
    TORONTO -- Veteran investor Marc Faber was asked to resign from the board of directors at Sprott Inc. after comments he made in his investment newsletter that America was better off because it was settled by white people instead of black people. Source
  • Veteran investor Marc Faber booted from 3rd company after racist comments

    Economic CTV News
    TORONTO -- Veteran investor Marc Faber has resigned his board seats at three companies based in Canada on Tuesday following comments he made in his investment newsletter that America was better off because it was settled by white people instead of black people. Source
  • Missouri appeals court tosses $72M US award in talcum powder case

    Economic CBC News
    A Missouri appeals court on Tuesday that vacated a $72 million US award to an Alabama woman who claimed her use of Johnson & Johnson products that contained talcum contributed to her ovarian cancer has thrown the fate of awards in similar cases into doubt. Source
  • Latest NAFTA round ends in a stalemate with plans to extend talks into 2018

    Economic CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer says NAFTA talks are being extended into 2018 -- a tacit admission that negotiators aren't going to meet their original deadline for a deal by year-end. The proposals tabled at the latest round have revealed huge chasms in negotiating positions, on everything from dairy and autos to even the basic architecture of an agreement -- and the tone of Tuesday's news conference made clear the talks have turned downright frosty. Source
  • Veteran investor Marc Faber booted from Sprott board after racist comments

    Economic CBC News
    Veteran investor Marc Faber was asked to resign from the board of directors at Sprott Inc. after comments he made in his investment newsletter that America was better off because it was settled by white people instead of black people. Source
  • White House says Fed search down to 5 finalists

    Economic CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- A White House official says U.S. President Donald Trump has narrowed his search for the next Federal Reserve chairman to five final candidates. A decision is expected before the president begins a trip to Asia on Nov. Source