Canadian Oil Sands claims victory, calls for Suncor to disclose results

CALGARY -- Canadian Oil Sands is claiming victory in a bitter oilpatch takeover battle, but says shareholders deserve to know exactly how much support the hostile $4-billion bid from Suncor Energy garnered before it was extended past its Friday night deadline.

See Full Article

Oilsands giant Suncor's all-stock offer now is open until Jan. 27 under the same terms: a quarter of a Suncor share for each COS share.

The extension gives Suncor more time to make its case to shareholders and weigh its options. But COS on Monday urged its shareholders to reject the takeover as it currently stands.

"While only Suncor has access to all the tender results, the best information that COS currently has is that a strong majority of COS shareholders rejected the substantially undervalued and opportunistic Suncor bid," the target company said in a release.

"COS believes that immediate disclosure of the number of shares tendered is required under Canadian and U.S. securities law in this situation as a material fact that would reasonably be expected to affect the decision of shareholders to accept or reject the Suncor bid."

Bradley Freelan, a partner at law firm Fasken Martineau who specializes in mergers and acquisitions, said it can be inferred from Suncor's move that less than half of COS shares were tendered to its bid.

"They may as well just extend and figure out what they want to do next, perhaps increase the price and then see what kind of support they can get with perhaps a higher price," he said.

"Maybe they're in discussions with some of their more significant shareholders to see if there's a price where they would do a deal."

Prominent businessman Seymour Schulich, who has said he owns five per cent of COS, has vocally opposed the Suncor bid in its current form.

Suncor CEO Steve Williams said in an interview last week that he'd need to have a "high degree of confidence" that a deal would eventually close in order to keep up the pursuit.

On Monday, Williams issued a brief statement -- his first since Suncor announced the extension on Friday -- but didn't disclose how many shares Suncor has received.

"We are encouraged by the number of shares that have been tendered," Williams said. "We have decided to extend the offer in order to allow shareholders to continue to tender to the offer."

COS shares were relatively unchanged Monday at around $7.50 a share in midday trading. That's around 10 per cent below the current value of the Suncor bid. Williams has warned that COS shares could tumble as low as $5 a share if the Suncor offer is taken off the table.

COS has said Suncor's offer is too low and its shareholders would do better if COS remains independent. Suncor argues crude's decline to multi-year lows has made a higher offer out of the question and makes its offer less risky for shareholders than if they remain invested in an independent COS.

Both companies are partners in the Syncrude oilsands project north of Fort McMurray, Alta., -- COS with 37 per cent and Suncor with 12 per cent.

The Syncrude stake is COS's main asset, whereas Suncor has vast holdings across the oilsands in addition to interests in refining and offshore platforms.



Advertisements

Latest Economic News

  • Poker tables keep decreasing on Las Vegas casino floors

    Economic CTV News
    LAS VEGAS -- When the Monte Carlo closes its eight-table poker room in about a month as part of a $450 million overhaul, the Las Vegas Strip will have lost nearly a quarter of the tables it had a decade ago. Source
  • Las Vegas casinos continue to close poker rooms

    Economic CTV News
    LAS VEGAS -- When the Monte Carlo casino closes its eight-table poker room in about a month as part of a $450 million overhaul, the Las Vegas Strip will be down nearly a quarter of the tables it had a decade ago. Source
  • Google's YouTube loses more advertisers over offensive videos

    Economic CBC News
    An advertising boycott of YouTube is broadening, a sign that big-spending companies doubt Google's ability to prevent marketing campaigns from appearing alongside repugnant videos. PepsiCo, Walmart Stores and Starbucks on Friday confirmed that they have also suspended their advertising on YouTube after the Wall Street Journal found Google's automated programs placed their brands on five videos containing racist content. Source
  • National contest tries to convince students that lucrative sales jobs are 'sexy'

    Economic CBC News
    Sonya Meloff wants everyone to know that a career in sales is sexy. Not sleazy. "I think that sales is a really sexy job," says the founder of the Toronto's Sales Talent Agency. "You get to be at the forefront of representing a company, you're the one that gets to talk to the customers. Source
  • Report examines grim Bangladesh leather trade, links to West

    Economic CTV News
    DHAKA, Bangladesh -- Hazardous, heavily polluting tanneries, with workers as young as 14, supplied leather to companies that make shoes and handbags for a host of Western brands, a non-profit group that investigates supply chains says. Source
  • Notley: Keystone XL doesn't lessen need for Energy East, Trans Mountain

    Economic CTV News
    CALGARY -- Alberta Premier Rachel Notley says U.S. approval of the Keystone XL pipeline does not lessen the need for two other controversial proposals within Canada's borders. U.S. President Donald Trump announced the green light for the line more than eight years after Calgary-based TransCanada first applied for a cross-border permit. Source
  • Trump's Keystone XL decision sets up new fight in Nebraska

    Economic CTV News
    LINCOLN, Neb. -- U.S. President Donald Trump may have approved a federal permit for the Keystone XL pipeline, but the fight is far from over in Nebraska, the one state in its path that has yet to approve the project. Source
  • Toronto stock index extends rally, Wall Street mixed after 'Trumpcare' pulled

    Economic CBC News
    Specialist Stephen Naughton, left, and trader Michael Milano work on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange on Wednesday. North American equity markets finished mixed on Friday after U.S. Republicans withdrew their bill to overhaul Obamacare. Source
  • PepsiCo, Wal-Mart, Starbucks join YouTube ad boycott in U.S.

    Economic CTV News
    SAN FRANCISCO -- An advertising boycott of YouTube is broadening in a sign that big companies doubt Google's ability to prevent marketing campaigns from appearing alongside repugnant videos. PepsiCo, Wal-Mart Stores and Starbucks on Friday confirmed that they have also suspended their advertising on YouTube after the Wall Street Journal found Google's automated programs placed their brands on five videos containing racist content. Source
  • Debate renewed over economic benefits of Keystone XL pipeline

    Economic CTV News
    U.S. President Donald Trump is calling his administration's approval of the Keystone XL pipeline a new era for American energy policy. As expected, the State Department reversed a decision by the Obama administration and favoured energy development over environmentalists' objections to the pipeline, which will carry thick Canadian crude oil to Nebraska, where it can flow on to refineries along the Gulf Coast. Source