Chinese stock market halted for second time in a week

BEIJING - China halted stock trading Thursday, its second daylong trading suspension this week, after prices plunged in the latest spasm of investor panic on its volatile markets.

See Full Article

Chinese markets have lurched up and down as regulators gradually withdraw emergency measures imposed after the main stock index plunged in June following an explosive rise.

A similar price plunge Monday triggered a sell-off on Wall Street and other global markets.

On Thursday, trading was suspended after a market index, the CSI 300, nose-dived 7 per cent a half-hour after markets opened, triggering a "circuit breaker" that took effect Jan. 1.

Financial analysts have warned Chinese markets are likely to see extreme volatility for a few more months as they seek a stable level following last year's rout.

The "circuit breaker" requires a 15-minute pause in trading if the CSI 300 falls 5 per cent within 30 minutes. But Thursday's decline was so fast that before that could take effect, it hit the 7 per cent limit that ends trading for the day.

The benchmark Shanghai Composite Index fell 7.3 per cent to 3,115.89. The Shenzhen Composite Index for China's smaller second exchange slumped 8.3 per cent to 1,955.88.

Also Thursday, a six-month ban on sales by shareholders who own more than 5 per cent of a company was due to expire. Regulators announced this week that to avoid fueling further volatility, such sales will be limited to private transactions.

The Shanghai benchmark more than doubled between late 2014 and its June 12 peak as millions of novice investors bought shares.

Prices plunged 30 per cent after that, triggering a panicked response by Beijing. Regulators banned large sales, cut interest rates, cancelled initial public stock offerings and ordered state companies to buy shares.

Chinese leaders had encouraged the public to buy in hopes of raising money to overhaul state industry. The market rout alienated small investors who were left holding shares worth less than they paid.

Authorities say shares bought by state companies will be transferred to China's sovereign wealth fund to avoid depressing prices by selling them in the open market. The ban on new IPOs was lifted in November.



Advertisements

Latest Economic News

  • Third round of NAFTA talks opens in Canada

    Economic CTV News
    OTTAWA -- A third round of NAFTA renegotiations has begun with chief negotiators from Canada, the U.S. and Mexico meeting in the Canadian capital. Canada's chief negotiator, Steve Verhuel, said Saturday that he doesn't expect this round to see any new U.S. Source
  • Chief Canadian NAFTA negotiator not expecting progress on auto content rules

    Economic CTV News
    OTTAWA - Despite tough talk from the U.S. about the job-killing impact of NAFTA on its automotive sector, Canada's chief negotiator isn't expecting to see a detailed proposal from the Americans during the latest round of talks to rewrite the continental trade pact. Source
  • 'Trump has scared the bejesus out of everyone': How Canada could win the Amazon sweepstakes

    Economic CBC News
    Handicapping the Amazon sweepstakes has become something of a cottage industry in the last few weeks. Predictions of which city will land the company's coveted second headquarters cite everything from the bright lights of big cities like New York and Boston to Denver's crisp Rocky Mountain air to Chicago's spot as a hurricane-free haven. Source
  • Pickleball, anyone? A planned retirement village for active boomers

    Economic CBC News
    Tony DiFruscio is a confessed Disney-holic. "I'm a huge Disney fan," says the president of Zest Communities, a Hamilton property developer. "We go there every year with the family, my oldest son went there for his honeymoon. Source
  • Calgary and Saint John mayors urge NEB to reverse Energy East pipeline ruling

    Economic CTV News
    CALGARY -- Mayors from both ends of the proposed Energy East pipeline are calling for the National Energy Board to reverse its requirement that upstream and downstream emissions be included in its review of the $15.7-billion conduit. Source
  • Lawsuit tossed against Little Caesars over non-halal pepperoni

    Economic CTV News
    DETROIT -- A judge has rejected a lawsuit against a pizza franchise, alleging it sold pork as "halal pepperoni" at one of its locations in a Detroit suburb. The Detroit Free Press reports that on Thursday the Wayne County judge dismissed the lawsuit filed by Dearborn resident Mohamad Bazzi against Little Caesars Pizza. Source
  • Walmart testing service that delivers right into customers' fridges

    Economic CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Would you be OK with letting a stranger into your house for the sake of convenience? Walmart is testing the idea with a new service that lets a delivery person walk into your home when you're not there to drop off packages or put groceries in the fridge. Source
  • Quebec renews Uber's permit for another year with tighter rules

    Economic CTV News
    Quebec's transportation minister is renewing a deal allowing ride-hailing company Uber to operate for another year in the province. Laurent Lessard says the deal extension tightens the rules under which the San Francisco-based company will be permitted to continue offering its services to Quebecers. Source
  • Canadian firm applies to build $10-billion Jordan Cove LNG project in Oregon

    Economic CTV News
    CALGARY -- The Canadian company whose proposal to build an LNG export terminal in Oregon was derailed by U.S. regulators last year has resubmitted its application for a bigger, more expensive project. Calgary-based Veresen Inc. Source
  • OPEC says winning battle to end oil glut

    Economic CBC News
    OPEC and other oil producers are clearing a glut that has weighed on crude prices for three years and may wait until January before deciding whether to extend their output curbs beyond the first quarter of 2018, ministers said on Friday. Source