Chipotle subpoenaed as criminal investigation opens

NEW YORK -- Chipotle, already battered by a series of food scares tied to its restaurants, disclosed Wednesday that it has been served with a subpoena as part of a federal criminal investigation.

See Full Article

The company said in a regulatory filing that it was asked to produce a broad range of documents tied to a norovirus outbreak this summer at its restaurant in Simi Valley, California, but declined to provide further details.

It said the investigation does not involve a more recent E. coli outbreak tied to its restaurants that sickened people in nine states, or a separate norovirus outbreak in Boston.

The investigation is being conducted by the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Central District of California in conjunction with the Food and Drug Administration's Office of Criminal Investigations, according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission Wednesday.

A representative for the U.S. Attorney's office declined to comment. Representatives for the FDA did not respond to a request for comment.

The disclosure of the investigation comes as Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc. reels from E. coli outbreaks in late October and November, which were followed by the sickened customers at a restaurant in Boston in December. Those cases received far more national media attention than the California incident, and the company's sales have since plunged.

Sales fell 30 per cent in December at established locations, the company said Wednesday.

Sales fell 14.6 per cent in the fourth quarter, marking the first decline for the company since it went public in 2006.

Last month, Chipotle also said it could no longer reasonably predict sales trends given the food scares and retracted its forecast for 2016.

In its regulatory filing Wednesday, the company said it could not determine or predict the amount of any "fines, penalties or further liabilities" it might face in connection with the federal investigation.

A Chipotle spokesman, Chris Arnold, said in an email the company does not discuss pending litigation, but that it intends to co-operate fully with the investigation.

Doug Beach, a manager of the food program at Ventura County's Environmental Health Division, said the U.S. Attorney's office requested records from the his office regarding the Chipotle case about a month ago.

"That was a first for us," Beach said in a phone interview.

Beach said Chipotle had been co-operative with the county's investigation, which uncovered issues such as unclean equipment and employees without the necessary food handling permits.

He also noted that Chipotle started getting complaints about illnesses on Tuesday, Aug. 18, and shut down its restaurant the following Friday. Yet the company did not alert the county of the matter until Saturday -- after it had already reopened the restaurant, Beach said.

The emergence of a criminal investigation after a norovirus outbreak is unusual, said Bill Marler, a food safety lawyer representing Chipotle customers who were sickened in Simi Valley.

Outbreaks at restaurants are typically caused by an infected employee.

Marler couldn't think of a reason for a federal investigation, other than employment violations.

To rehabilitate its image, Chipotle has taken out full-page ads apologizing to customers in dozens of newspapers around the country. It also vowed changes to step up food safety at its restaurants, in part by tweaking its cooking methods and increasing testing of meat and produce.

Co-CEO Steve Ells has said the company will likely never know what ingredient was to blame for the E. coli cases.



Advertisements

Latest Economic News

  • Branson sells majority stake in Virgin Atlantic in broader tie-up

    Economic CTV News
    LONDON -- Richard Branson is selling his majority stake in Virgin Atlantic. The billionaire entrepreneur's Virgin group announced Thursday that he was selling a 31 per cent stake to Air France-KLM for 220 million pounds ($287 million). Source
  • U.S. Republican leaders announce end of border tax proposal

    Economic CBC News
    A Republican proposal in the House of Representatives to institute a border tax on imported items has been killed, party leaders said on Thursday, saying they did so as part of a tax overhaul deal struck between congressional and administration negotiators. Source
  • Twitter shares take beating as user growth stalls

    Economic CTV News
    Twitter shares took a pounding Thursday after the company reported stalled growth in a key measure of its user base, sparking fresh fears over the future of the social network. Twitter, which has been struggling to keep pace in the fast-moving world of social media, reported a net loss of $116 million in the second quarter, slightly wider than its $107 million loss a year ago. Source
  • Prime spot: Amazon's Jeff Bezos briefly becomes richest man in the world

    Economic CTV News
    Amazon founder Jeff Bezos briefly snagged the crown of “richest person in the world” on Thursday from Bill Gates, in Forbes’ realtime rankings of the wealthiest billionaires on the planet. Bezos’ net worth spiked to US$90.5 billion Thursday morning, putting him just ahead of the Microsoft founder’s $90-billion fortune. Source
  • Pace of cord-cutting in Canada slowed last year: CRTC

    Economic CBC News
    The pace at which Canadians are switching from conventional television services to internet-based TV appears to be slowing after three years of accelerated growth, according to the country's broadcast regulator. Newly released figures show about 300,000 more Canadians subscribed to internet protocol television, or IPTV, services last year compared with 2015, an increase of 13.8 per cent year over year. Source
  • Amazon stock surges Thursday, enough to make Jeff Bezos the richest man in the world

    Economic CBC News
    Amazon.com Inc Chief Executive Jeff Bezos has unseated fellow tech billionaire Bill Gates as the richest person in the world, profiting from the e-commerce company's meteoric stock rise to reach a fortune of $90.6 billion, Forbes reported. Source
  • Shareholders approve Tembec takeover by Rayonier Advanced Materials

    Economic CTV News
    MONTREAL - Shareholders in Quebec forestry firm Tembec have overwhelmingly endorsed a friendly takeover offer by Rayonier Advanced Materials, a chemical products company based in Florida. About 95 per cent of shareholders voted in favour of the deal, valued at C$1.1 billion -- well above the two-thirds support required. Source
  • Suncor reports funding feud with Total as mine nears completion

    Economic CTV News
    CALGARY -- French oil giant Total and Suncor Energy are in a dispute over funding the Fort Hills oilsands project, the $17-billion development set to begin production later this year. The standoff is not expected to affect the overall cost or schedule of Fort Hills. Source
  • Maple Leaf Foods to hike prices for prepared meat amid rising costs

    Economic CTV News
    MISSISSAUGA, Ont. - Maple Leaf Foods Inc. (TSX:MFI) says it will look to raise prices in the third quarter to offset rising raw material costs in its prepared meats business. The company says margins narrowed in its prepared meats business, partially offsetting other favourable market conditions as it reported higher second-quarter profits. Source
  • Pearson ground crew votes on contract offer, could go on strike

    Economic CTV News
    TORONTO - About 700 ground crew at Canada's busiest airport could be setting up picket lines later today. The members of Teamsters Local 419, who include baggage handlers, cargo handlers, cabin cleaners and other ground staff at Toronto's Pearson International Airport, are voting on a contract offer from their employer, Swissport. Source