Fast-food price fight: Combo deals take centre stage

NEW YORK -- Another price fight is breaking out among the country's biggest burger chains, this time with meal combos designed to make people forget about the once ubiquitous dollar menus.

See Full Article

The new "bundled offers" show how hungry McDonald's, Burger King and Wendy's are to win over deal seekers, and how quickly a popular idea gets copied in the fast-food industry. The latest trend on the value front popped up in late 2015 after Wendy's rolled out a "4 for $4 deal," which includes a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger, chicken nuggets, small fries and a small drink.

This week, Burger King followed with a similar "5 for $4" deal, and McDonald's introduced a "McPick 2 for $2" deal to kick off the new year.

"People look at what other folks are doing, and if they think they're getting traction, they say we need to do a version of that," said Tony Pace, former chief marketing officer at Subway who now runs a marketing consulting firm.

Though typically not big profit generators, promotional deals can steer people in the door who might not have stopped in otherwise. And chains do their best to make sure regulars stick to the pricier meals they usually order. At a New York City McDonald's, an employee said she was told not to suggest the $2-for-2 deal, but wait for people to order it on their own.

The additional food tacked onto those bundled orders helps drive up sales as well. That's what happened when Burger King tested its "5 for $4" deal in recent months, said Alex Macedo, who heads the chain's North America business.

"We believe it's going to be very profitable for franchisees," Macedo said in a phone interview.

The new deals come after fast-food chains struggled to raise prices on value menus without scaring off customers, even as commodity costs rise.

McDonald's shifted from its hugely popular Dollar Menu to a "Dollar Menu and More" that featured a range of prices. Steve Easterbrook, who took over as CEO this past March, conceded the company's failure to come up with an adequate replacement for the Dollar Menu has hurt sales.

The company has said deal seekers still make up about 15 per cent of the industry.

For now, McDonald's said the "McPick 2 for $2" will run for five weeks, and that the details of the McPick offer will evolve over time. Burger King and Wendy's haven't said when their limited-time offers will end.



Advertisements

Latest Economic News

  • Staples to be acquired by Sycamore in $6.9B US deal

    Economic CBC News
    Private equity firm Sycamore is buying office supplies chain Staples for $6.9 billion US. The companies said Wednesday that shareholders of Framingham, Mass.-based Staples will get $10.25 US per share. Staples stock had closed Wednesday up 77 cents, or 8.4 per cent, to $9.93 on a late-afternoon report of a deal. Source
  • Cyberattack spreads across the globe, but its origins and purpose remain murky

    Economic CBC News
    As a cyberattack continued to spread among nations and corporations on Wednesday, the identity and motives of the attackers remain a mystery. Ports, hospitals and banks around the globe have been hit by a version of ransomware being called ExPetr, similar to Petya but with a different functionality. Source
  • Head of NEB welcomes overhaul recommendations

    Economic CTV News
    CALGARY - The head of the National Energy Board says the proposed overhaul of the federal regulator will make it more suited to the challenges of the 21st century. Speaking at the sidelines of an industry safety workshop, NEB chairman Peter Watson says recommendations last month by a modernization panel could fix some of the limitations of the regulator and help it keep up with the times. Source
  • Boeing seeks delay in duty ruling on petition against Bombardier

    Economic CBC News
    Bombardier may have to wait an extra two months to find out if its CSeries commercial jets will be hit by punishing U.S. duties. Boeing has requested that the U.S. Commerce Department delay its preliminary determination on its petition until Sept. Source
  • Shopify sees big uptick in U.S. job applicants after Trump's election, CEO says

    Economic CTV News
    TORONTO -- Shopify's CEO says it's a great time for Canadian startups to attract talent as the U.S. government is creating an uninviting environment for a lot of people. Tobias Lutke says his company is receiving many more applications from U.S. Source
  • Shopify sees boost in applicants from U.S. after Trump's election, CEO says

    Economic CTV News
    TORONTO -- It's a great time for Canadian startups to attract top talent from south of the border as the U.S. government is creating an unwelcoming environment, the chief executive of Shopify says. "The Americans are doing a really great job of uninviting a lot of kinds of people who otherwise would go there," said Tobias Lutke, who founded the e-commerce platform firm in 2004. Source
  • Ontario proposes banning real estate agents from representing seller and buyer

    Economic CBC News
    Ontario is proposing banning the practice of double ending, in which a real estate agent represents both a buyer and a seller in a transaction. The Liberal government announced its 16-point housing plan earlier this year, with centrepiece planks of a 15 per cent foreign buyer tax and expanded rent controls. Source
  • SEC fraud charges filed against Penn West, three former finance execs

    Economic CBC News
    Two days after changing its name and vowing to put its scandal-tainted past behind it, the former Penn West Petroleum is being hit with charges by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. The SEC charges allege the Calgary-based oil and gas firm and three of its former finance executives participated in a "multi-year accounting fraud" where hundreds of millions of dollars were mislabelled to improve the appearance of its operating metrics. Source
  • Penn West shares plunge after SEC files fraud charges

    Economic CBC News
    Two days after changing its name and vowing to put its scandal-tainted past behind it, the former Penn West Petroleum is being hit with charges by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. The SEC charges allege the Calgary-based oil and gas firm and three of its former finance executives participated in a "multi-year accounting fraud" where hundreds of millions of dollars were mislabelled to improve the appearance of its operating metrics. Source
  • Penn West shares plunge after SEC files fraud charges involving three former execs

    Economic CTV News
    CALGARY -- Shares in Penn West Petroleum dropped sharply Wednesday morning after the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission announced it had filed fraud-related charges against it and three former finance executives. The Calgary-based oil and gas firm's stock fell by as much as 10.34 per cent, or 18 cents, to a 52-week low of $1.56 after it was briefly halted on the Toronto Stock Exchange for the announcement of the SEC filing. Source