Is the Priv smartphone a hit? BlackBerry says it's too early to tell

WATERLOO, Ont. -- BlackBerry is getting a financial boost from its growing software division, but the smartphone company says it's still to early to deem its latest Priv phone either a sales success or a disappointment.

See Full Article

With about a month of sales for the new device under its belt, BlackBerry was vague Friday in its third-quarter results about how its first Android smartphone has performed so far in the marketplace.

"I don't want to over-hype that situation," chief executive John Chen told analysts Friday as BlackBerry delivered better-than-expected financial results.

He settled with saying Priv sales have been "quite positive."

Shares of BlackBerry jumped more than 10 per cent on Friday -- rising $1.14 to $12.03 on the Toronto Stock Exchange -- as investors responded favourably to the company's latest quarterly results.

Overall revenue came in above expectations and losses were far less than analysts had anticipated.

The international reception of the Priv will be closely watched in the coming weeks as BlackBerry prepares to launch it on a global scale.

After being available in only four countries during the third quarter ended Nov. 28, the phone's distribution will spike to 31 countries by the end of February when the company's fourth quarter ends.

BlackBerry is in the midst of a transition period where its software business has taken priority over designing phones. Sales of the Priv are considered an important metric in determining whether there's any hope in making future hardware.

Chen expects the handset division will become profitable again within the next two quarters, one of his key objectives since joining the company in late 2013, which suggests BlackBerry will stick with phones.

Even with the signs pointing to a future in hardware, Chen is reluctant to fully commit until he sees international sales figures.

"The next three months will tell us a lot," he said in a conversation with reporters at the company's headquarters in Waterloo, Ont.

The lack of Priv sales figures prevents investors from getting a clear picture of how many people bought the phone in its early days.

Chen said those numbers would be "misleading" because it took time to get the devices into stores.

However, BlackBerry did provide some insight through its usual tally of overall device sales, which include the Passport and other older models that use the company's own operating system.

About 700,000 devices were sold, which is a steep decline from 1.9 million at the same time last year and also down from 800,000 in the second quarter of this year. But the average sales price jumped to $315 from $240, suggesting a large quantity of sales came from more expensive Priv phones.

The Priv is also appealing to a different segment of the market than other recent BlackBerry phones, Chen said. In particular, the Priv is selling especially well with young professional women.

"I think it's more of a form factor situation," he said, noting that with its older Passport model "almost every customer is male."

In the third quarter, BlackBerry reported a net loss of US$89 million or 17 cents per share under standard accounting rules.

After adjustments, BlackBerry lost US$15 million or three cents per share -- far less than analyst expectations of a loss of 14 cents per share, according to Thomson Reuters.

Revenue was US$557 million, a slight improvement from $548 million a year ago and about $64 million more than analyst predictions.

Within its divisions, the shift away from an emphasis on phone sales continued.

Software and services revenue more than doubled to $154 million from $57 million a year ago, driven by the recent acquisition of Good Technology Corp.

Hardware revenues, which account for device sales, dropped to $214 million from $361 million a year ago.

Chen teased analysts with the possibility of new software for self-driving vehicles. He said more details will be revealed at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas next month.

BlackBerry's QNX division, headquartered in Ottawa, has spent years developing various automotive technology such as dashboard infotainment systems used by Ford Motor Co., General Motors, Hyundai and Volkswagen.



Advertisements

Latest Economic News

  • Bovine TB: More cattle quarantined, but officials 'optimistic' worst is over

    Economic CTV News
    OTTAWA - The quarantine of cattle in a western Canada bovine tuberculosis outbreak continues to grow, even as no new confirmed cases of the disease have been found. Officials say, however, they are cautiously optimistic that the number of animals quarantined may have peaked. Source
  • Commercial real estate sales hit quarterly record as investors hunt yields

    Economic CTV News
    CALGARY - Real estate firm CBRE says Canada hit a record level for commercial real estate sales in the third quarter and is on track to beat an annual record set during the 2007 boom. Source
  • Moose Knuckles reaches deal with Competition Bureau over 'Made in Canada' claims

    Economic CTV News
    OTTAWA -- Winter jacket maker Moose Knuckles has reached a deal with the Competition Bureau regarding concerns over its advertising and labelling of certain parkas that are promoted as made-in-Canada. Under the agreement, reached through mediation, the company has agreed to donate $750,000 over five years to charities in Canada, such as those that provide winter coats to children in need. Source
  • Starbucks to boost number of shops, add more food to menu

    Economic CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Starbucks, looking to the future as its longtime CEO moves to other projects, plans to open 12,000 new locations within five years to boost its number of coffee shops worldwide by almost 50 per cent. Source
  • TransCanada to proceed with $655-million northern Alberta natural gas pipeline

    Economic CTV News
    CALGARY -- TransCanada Corp. says it's moving ahead with a $655-million expansion of its Nova Gas Transmission Ltd. system in northwestern Alberta. The company (TSX:TRP) says the Saddle West Expansion Project will add 29 kilometres of pipeline capacity to existing routes, as well as five compressor units, that together will increase the capacity of the system by about 355 million cubic feet per day. Source
  • N.B. to phase out coal, put price on carbon in new climate plan

    Economic CTV News
    FREDERICTON -- The New Brunswick government will phase out coal as an electricity source under a new climate change plan that also puts a price on carbon. Premier Brian Gallant said Wednesday that climate change is the most important issue to face humankind in modern times and New Brunswick must do its part to combat it. Source
  • Starbucks planning to add 12,000 new outlets around the world

    Economic CBC News
    Starbucks plans to add 12,000 new locations over the next five years. (David Horemans/CBC News) Starbucks plans to open 12,000 new locations within five years, boosting the total number of its coffee shops worldwide by almost 50 per cent. Source
  • WestJet pilots union drive takes flight again

    Economic CBC News
    The Air Line Pilots Association has formalized its drive to unionize pilots at WestJet. After months of laying the groundwork, the U.S.-based international union said in a letter to pilots that it is collecting membership cards, and warns about a pushback from the Calgary-based airline. Source
  • Coat maker Moose Knuckles resolves made-in-Canada concerns with Competition Bureau

    Economic CBC News
    High-end winter jacket maker Moose Knuckles and the Competition Bureau have reached a deal over concerns about made-in-Canada claims in the company's advertising and labelling of some of its parkas. The deal, which was reached through mediation, will see Montreal-based Moose Knuckles donate $750,000 over five years to Canadian charities, such as those that provide winter jackets to children in need. Source
  • CUPE sues Wynne, cabinet ministers for mixing fundraising and Hydro One sale

    Economic CTV News
    TORONTO -- The Canadian Union of Public Employees says its lawsuit against the Ontario premier and two cabinet ministers over the sale of Hydro One is finally headed to court. CUPE Ontario president Fred Hahn says the suit is aimed at stopping the sale of any more shares in the giant electricity transmission utility while the province is still the majority shareholder. Source