Trump's name, image removed from Dubai development amid anger over Muslim ban

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The image and name of American presidential hopeful Donald Trump was gone on Friday from much of a Dubai golf course and housing development amid the uproar over his comments about banning Muslims from travelling to the United States.

See Full Article

The disappearance of Trump's branding from the multi-billion-dollar development on the outskirts of Dubai comes as concerns over his comments grow in the Middle East, a region in which the businessman long has sought money-making opportunities.

Some of his deals appear to be in jeopardy, with the company behind the Trump Towers in Istanbul now saying it is "assessing" its partnership with the Republican presidential front-runner.

In Dubai, Trump had a deal with Damac Properties to license his name and image for a housing project and two golf courses for an undisclosed sum. A billboard once showing Trump golfing had been at Damac's Akoya development, as well as an image of Trump's daughter Ivanka.

On Friday, all that remained was the board's brown background, though another billboard declaring the development "The Beverly Hills of Dubai" still stood nearby.

Also, pieces of letters that appeared to spell out Trump's name had been pulled down from a stone wall and left lying on the sandy ground. His name was still on at least one other stone wall at the property, which was being patrolled by private security guards and police.

Damac Properties has declined to comment on the removal of Trump's name and billboard from the property. It earlier said it "would not comment further on Mr. Trump's personal or political agenda, nor comment on the internal American political debate scene."

Trump increasingly has used such a licensing model in recent years, lending out his name to others around the world rather than developing big real estate projects himself. Fellow developers have praised Trump as a pioneer of what they call a nearly risk-free business.

But some of his rhetoric about Islam on the campaign trail - including his call to monitor mosques and his proposal this week to temporarily bar Muslims from entering the U.S. - has led to increased wariness in the Arab world. Earlier this week, Dubai-based Landmark Group pulled all Trump home decor products at its 180 Lifestyle stores over his comments.

Late Thursday, Bulent Kural, the general manager of Trump Towers in Istanbul, said his company "regrets and condemns" Trump's call to ban Muslims from entering the U.S. The towers are another project for which Trump licensed his brand.

"We are assessing the legal dimension of our relationship with the Trump brand," a statement from Kural said.


Associated Press writer Suzan Fraser in Ankara, Turkey, contributed to this report.


Latest Economic News

  • TSX ends down along with U.S. markets, Canadian dollar makes slight gains

    Economic CBC News
    Canada's main stock index joined U.S. markets in the red Monday as a Federal Reserve meeting looms and a share price hit at Facebook over improper data use weighed on the tech sector. The S&P/TSX composite index closed down 121.94 points to 15,589.39, led by declines in energy and base metals as both oil and copper prices slipped. Source
  • Analyst warns B.C. gas prices could soon hit a record high

    Economic CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- Drivers in British Columbia should brace for record high gasoline prices this summer and the financial pain has the potential to spread across the country, says a petroleum industry analyst. Dan McTeague of the online tech company GasBuddy predicts that beginning in April and continuing to September, gasoline prices across much of B.C. Source
  • Facebook shares fall as EU, U.S. urge probes of data practices

    Economic CBC News
    Facebook Inc. faced growing pressure on Monday after European and U.S. lawmakers called for investigations into reports that a consultancy that worked on President Donald Trump's campaign gained access to data on 50 million Facebook users. Source
  • Nordstrom Rack to open first Canadian store in Vaughan, Ont., Toronto to follow

    Economic CTV News
    TORONTO -- American department store Nordstrom is opening the first Canadian location of its discount Rack chain on Thursday. The 35,000-square-foot store will be situated north of Toronto at Vaughan Mills mall. It is promising savings of up to 70 per cent on products from 38 of the 50 brands already sold in its Canadian department stores. Source
  • Greenpeace says brands refusing to reveal palm oil sources

    Economic CTV News
    JAKARTA, Indonesia -- Greenpeace says several major household brands including Hershey and Johnson & Johnson have failed to disclose where they get their palm oil from despite vows to stop buying from companies that cut down tropical forests to grow the widely used commodity. Source
  • 'Took fake news to the next level': Facebook data whistleblower on U.S. election

    Economic CTV News
    NEW YORK -- A Trump-affiliated firm under scrutiny for inappropriately obtaining data on tens of millions of Facebook users created profiling algorithms that "took fake news to the next level," a former employee said. Chris Wylie said the firm, Cambridge Analytica, secured personal data in order to learn about individuals and then used it to create an information cocoon to change their perceptions. Source
  • How Facebook likes could profile voters for manipulation

    Economic CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Facebook likes can tell a lot about a person. Maybe even enough to fuel a voter-manipulation effort like the one a Trump-affiliated data-mining firm stands accused of -- and which Facebook may have enabled. Source
  • Claire's files for bankruptcy, Canadian stores spared

    Economic CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Claire's, the mall chain that has pierced the ears of millions of teens, has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the U.S. but its Canadian and European stores are not involved. Source
  • Lightning fast wireless is on the way: here's how 5G will change life in Canada

    Economic CBC News
    The federal, Ontario and Quebec governments say they will spend $200 million to help fund research into 5G wireless technology, the next-generation networks with download speeds 100 times faster than current ones can handle. The so-called "5G corridor," known as ENCQOR, will see tech companies such as Ericsson, Ciena Canada, Thales Canada, IBM and CGI kick in another $200 million to develop facilities to get the project up and running. Source
  • Via Rail to launch process to buy new trains with federal funding announcement

    Economic CTV News
    ETOBICOKE, Ont. -- Via Rail is preparing to launch a process to replace aging trains on its main Canadian corridor after federal Transport Minister Marc Garneau announced funding Monday by the government. The national passenger service says it will launch a request for qualifications, followed by a request for proposals. Source