Phone scam targets Syrian refugees, N.B. consumer protection agency warns

SAINT JOHN, N.B. -- New Brunswick's consumer protection organization is warning the public about a series of phone scams targeting women, small businesses and Syrian refugees.

See Full Article

The Financial and Consumer Services Commission says in one scheme, a Syrian family in Saint John lost about $400 after it was contacted by someone seeking money and banking information in exchange for English lessons.

CEO Rick Hancox said the Crown corporation is only aware of one family that has been targeted, although he believes scammers will likely seek out more newcomers to Canada.

"The nature of these kinds of frauds is that they typically follow the headlines," said Hancox. "The underlying scheme is the same and they just apply it to the latest headline and go from there."

Hancox said refugees and new immigrants are particularly vulnerable to fraud schemes because they are adjusting to new surroundings and a new culture.

"Their experience is the environment that they have come from and a lot of times that's very different from the Canadian environment," he said.

As an example, Hancox said newcomers might not be aware that Revenue Canada doesn't call people up and threaten to have them arrested.

The commission also warned about a pyramid network described as a pay-it-forward cloud that leads participants to believe a gifting club will generate a return of up to 800 per cent.

Potential members have been asked to make an investment ranging from $1,200 for a return of $10,000.

In western New Brunswick, a woman claiming to be hearing impaired contacted a photography business and wanted to buy services for a wedding and insisted the business charge an additional amount to a credit card for a wedding planner.

The RCMP says it is aware of the calls to businesses in western New Brunswick, but no formal complaints were made.

Hancox said the level of fraud activity is not out of the ordinary.

"Anybody that follows their emails, there's always somebody coming through with something whether it's a cruise or you've won a lottery thing," said Hancox.

He said people need to be aware that fraud schemes are constantly going on and that they should never provide such things as personal banking information through contacts that are not solicited.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Rescuers wriggle into collapsed school after Mexico quake

    World News CTV News
    MEXICO CITY -- The three-storey school structure had pancaked into a pile of concrete slabs. The bodies of 21 children and four adults had been pulled out. But still sounds came from the collapsed structure on Wednesday -- and finally a survivor was located. Source
  • Families walk Highway of Tears to honour missing, murdered Indigenous women

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- When Gladys Radek walks the Highway of Tears, she says she can feel the spirits of women who are missing or have been murdered walking beside her. Dozens have vanished or been killed along the notorious stretch of Highway 16 in central British Columbia. Source
  • Life under Kim Jong Un: Executions by anti-aircraft gun, sex slaves serving caviar

    World News Toronto Sun
    North Korean crackpot Kim Jong Un appears to have stolen a page out of the ISIS execution manual. A North Korean defector, whose father was a senior official in the hermit country’s regime, told the UK Mirror that she watched 11 musicians get “blown to bits” when they were executed with high powered anti-aircraft guns. Source
  • Trump tweets support for latest Republican effort to repeal Obamacare

    World News CBC News
    U.S. President Donald Trump says he hopes Republican senators will vote for new legislation that aims to repeal and replace the health care law enacted by his predecessor. Trump says on Twitter that the so-called Graham-Cassidy bill is "GREAT!" and "Ends Ocare!" a reference to "Obamacare," the colloquial name for the set of health laws in place in the United States. Source
  • U.S. museum given award for returning 22 Inuit bodies dug up 90 years ago

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    A renowned American museum and an Inuit government have received an award for returning Inuit bodies that had been dug up and taken for scientific study. Chicago’s Field Museum and the Nunatsiavut government in Labrador have been given the first Cultural Repatriation Award by Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami, Canada’s national Inuit group. Source
  • 'Saddened' Donald Trump mocks Emmy ceremony for low ratings [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump is mocking Sunday’s Emmy Awards ceremony — where he himself was frequently mocked by host Stephen Colbert, presenters and prize-winners. Trump tweets, “I was saddened to see how bad the ratings were on the Emmys last night - the worst ever. Source
  • Ontario boosting penalties for careless and distracted drivers

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Ontario is planning to fine careless drivers who cause death up to $50,000. Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca announced today that the Liberal government will introduce legislation this fall that would help crack down on careless and distracted driving. Source
  • Ottawa Public Library to ban users from browsing online porn

    Canada News CTV News
    The Ottawa Public Library has changed its computer policy to prohibit users from looking at pornography and violent content, after a mother complained that her daughter saw porn on a patron’s computer at her local branch. Source
  • Man arrested, accused of shooting grandson's father dead while father held baby

    World News Toronto Sun
    YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio — Authorities say a 61-year-old man has been arrested in Ohio after fatally shooting the father of his 3-week-old grandson while the father held the child. The shooting occurred Monday night during a domestic dispute in Youngstown. Source
  • Sentencing for sexual predator who sexually assaulted six girls from the same family

    World News Toronto Sun
    DOYLESTOWN, Pa. — A man convicted of sexually assaulting six girls from the same family, fathering two children with one of them, is scheduled to be sentenced in a Pennsylvania court. Fifty-two-year-old Lee Donald Kaplan will be sentenced in Bucks County court Wednesday on multiple counts of child rape, statutory sexual assault and other charges. Source