CSIS: 60 individuals with suspected terrorist links back in Canada

An estimated 60 individuals who have fought with terrorist organizations overseas are currently back in Canada, according to Canada's top intelligence agency.

See Full Article

The Canadian Security Intelligence Service Director Michel Coulombe told a Senate national security committee on Monday that about 180 individuals "with a nexus to Canada" are fighting with terrorist groups overseas. About 100 of them are in Iraq and Syria.

Coulombe noted that the number of individuals who are suspected of having returned from fighting overseas has dropped to 60 from 80 individuals that CSIS said it was monitoring in 2014.

He said some of those individuals have since left Canada again, while the agency determined that others were not actually involved in terrorist activities after further investigation.

Coulombe added that an estimated 90 to 100 individuals in Canada are looking to leave the country to fight with terrorist groups overseas, but he noted that the number is very difficult to track.

"There are a number of people who, actually, we learn of them leaving after the fact," he said. "So that number does not capture the actual scale of the phenomenon."

When asked why the 60 or so individuals who the agency suspects have returned to Canada after fighting overseas have not been charged, Coulombe said having information about threat-related activities does not necessarily mean that the charges can be laid in Canada.

"The threshold for us to launch an investigation, and the threshold to charge somebody under the Criminal Code, there's a fair bit of a difference here," he said. "Being able to prove that the person was actually in Iraq or Syria fighting or financing (terrorist groups)…is a difficult task."

However, Coulombe stressed the importance of trying to prevent potential terrorists from leaving the country in the first place.

"I truly believe, as a country we have an obligation to prevent Canadians from leaving this country in order to conduct terrorist-related activities, and killing people overseas," he said.

Coulombe said about 55 per cent of CSIS's budget is spent on counter-terrorism.

When asked about any potential security threat regarding the 25,000 Syrian refugees that Canada has brought into the country since November of last year, Coulombe said he's confident in the screening process those individuals underwent before entering the country.

He said if any "red flags" came up during the screening process, that individual's file was not considered.

Coulombe also noted that the refugees entering Canada are "totally different" than the migrants flowing into Europe, as those individuals are not undergoing any type of screening before entering Europe.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • False killer whale is latest cetacean to die at Vancouver Aquarium

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- The Vancouver Aquarium says the false killer whale it rescued off a beach over three years ago has died at the facility. The aquarium says in a statement that Chester's behaviour changed Wednesday and despite intensive veterinary care, he died this morning. Source
  • Senior Ukraine separatist: Rebel chief has resigned

    World News CTV News
    MINSK, Belarus -- A senior separatist official in eastern Ukraine on Friday announced the resignation of thebeleaguered rebel chief in an apparent palace coup, ending a four-day showdown between rivaling factions. Leonid Pasechnik, state security minister of the self-proclaimed Luhansk People's Republic, said in a statement on Friday evening that the republic's chief Igor Plotnitsky has resigned on health grounds. Source
  • Chester the false killer whale has died, Vancouver Aquarium says

    Canada News CBC News
    Chester the false killer whale, has died, according to the Vancouver Aquarium. "We are deeply saddened to announce his passing this morning," said aquarium president and CEO John Nightingale on Friday. Source
  • 3 UN peacekeepers, Malian soldier killed in jihadist attack

    World News CTV News
    BAMAKO, Mali -- Suspected jihadists attacked a UN peacekeeping position in northern Mali on Friday killing two peacekeepers from Niger and a Malian soldier and injuring 14 peacekeepers and a UN civilian contractor, authorities said. Source
  • Saudi coalition OKs resumption of UN flights to Yemen

    World News CTV News
    GENEVA -- The Saudi-led coalition that has imposed an air, sea and land blockade on war-battered Yemen since Nov. 6 has authorized the resumption of U.N. flights to the Yemeni capital starting Saturday, a U.N. Source
  • Basil Borutski found guilty in 2015 killings

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- Basil Borutski, the man accused of killing three women in an hour-long, revenge-fuelled rampage across the Ottawa Valley two years ago, has been found guilty on two counts of first-degree murder and one of second-degree murder. Source
  • Borutski guilty in Ottawa Valley murder rampage

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- Jurors found Basil Borutski guilty Friday on two counts of first-degree murder and one of second-degree murder in the deaths of three women killed two years ago during an hour-long, revenge-fuelled rampage across the Ottawa Valley. Source
  • Man ordered to pay $41K in fines for starting wildfires in northern Saskatchewan

    Canada News CTV News
    LA RONGE, Sask. -- A man who admitted he started several wildfires in northern Saskatchewan by flicking lit wooden matches into the forest has been fined tens of thousands of dollars. Donald Halkett Jr. Source
  • Calgary man found guilty in death of former girlfriend stabbed 75 times

    Canada News CTV News
    A 33-year-old Calgary man has been found guilty of second-degree murder in the stabbing death of his former common-law partner. After approximately eight hours of deliberation, the jury reached its verdict in the trial of Kevin Rubletz on Wednesday night. Source
  • Basil Borutski guilty of murdering 3 women in shocking killing spree

    Canada News CBC News
    Basil Borutski has been found guilty of murdering three of his former partners in a shocking one-day killing spree that's been called one of the worst cases of domestic violence in Canadian history. A jury of six men and five women returned the guilty verdicts on two counts of first-degree and one count of second-degree murder at 2:30 p.m. Source