Victoria tent city faces legal showdown

VICTORIA -- Chris Parent says he was offered shelter space that includes a bed, bathroom and heat, but he's staying put in his tent on the grounds of Victoria's courthouse.

See Full Article

Housing Minister Rich Coleman says the B.C. government has homes for every courthouse camper but some are refusing to leave, forcing him to go to court in an attempt to take down the camp. Coleman said he's already started looking for landscapers to clean up the grounds.

Parent is one of the more than two dozen people named in the government court application to evict the remaining homeless campers from the tent city occupying the lawn of Victoria's courthouse. A court date is set for Thursday.

"We are making a political statement," said Parent, who pitched an eight-person yurt at the downtown courthouse last November and adorned it with aboriginal art and Tibetan flags.

"Some of the people here have slipped through the cracks and we're looking for a place where we could feel at home," he said in a recent interview at the camp. "People don't want to leave here."

The camp has grown from a few tents last spring to more than 100 people as many of the homeless moved from alleyways and parks to the highly visible, manicured grounds of the downtown courthouse.

Victoria city bylaws permit camping overnight in parks if shelters are full, but require people to pack up every morning. The courthouse lawn is provincial property and not subject to the city bylaw, which saw the homeless set up more permanent living arrangements on the property.

But Coleman said the government and Victoria social agencies have provided housing for every camper, turning a Boys and Girls Club, seniors residence and youth jail into homeless shelters. He said the government is working to provide homes for vulnerable people in the camp.

"I think there's some people down there that have really been asking for a confrontation from me for about two or three months," said Coleman. "Once we take care of the vulnerable people, we'll have to deal with the people who are there for the wrong reasons."

He said the government has already estimated it will cost at least $350,000 to begin repairs on the courthouse lawn and shrubs.

A notice of application filed in B.C. Supreme Court last week says people living in the camp are trespassing and have defied repeated requests and orders to leave the property, despite the government offering other housing.

The application alleges the campers have compromised health and safety in the area by creating fire hazards, defecating in and around the camp, leaving used needles and syringes in the area, and engaging in criminal activity, such as drug trafficking.

None of the allegations made in the application have been proven in court.

Kelly Newhook said anti-poverty groups will be in court opposing the government's injunction application to evict the campers.

"We believe, and we believe Canadians believe, people have a right to live and have a home," said Newhook, executive director of Together Against Poverty. "People have a right to live and build community."

Dan McTavish, resident services director for Victoria's Cool Aid Society, said the courthouse campers are drawing public attention to the issue of homelessness.

"By gathering in one spot, they've really focused, they've really brought the whole discussion to a point, and they've forced a reaction from all of us," said McTavish, whose society is working with the government to convert a seniors residence into a new shelter.

Over recent months the community that developed among the campers convinced many to accept the offers of shelter provided by the government and social agencies, he said.

Bernie Pauly, an addictions scientist and associate nursing professor at the University of Victoria, said the camp puts a human face on the issue of homelessness, especially the lack affordable housing for many people.

"It definitely highlights and goes beyond what people might normally see or understand about homelessness," she said.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Canadian and her boyfriend missing in Belize

    Canada News CTV News
    A Canadian woman and her American boyfriend have gone missing in Belize, according to friends. Fifty-two-year-old Francesca Matus of Ontario, was last seen driving home from a local bar with her American boyfriend, Thomas Drew De Voursney, 36, on Tuesday evening, her friends say. Source
  • 673 icebergs counted in shipping lanes off Newfoundland

    Canada News CTV News
    ST. JOHN'S, N.L. -- About 673 icebergs have drifted into shipping lanes off eastern Newfoundland so far this year. That's almost as many as were counted during the whole ice season last year, ending in late September. Source
  • Murdered woman's Fitbit log leads to husband's arrest

    World News Toronto Sun
    ROCKVILLE, Conn. — A Connecticut man who police say gave an account of his wife’s death that differed from information on her Fitbit pleaded not guilty Friday to murder and other charges. Richard Dabate appeared at a hearing in Rockville Superior Court, where his lawyer entered the pleas on his behalf. Source
  • New Brunswick announces efforts to fight for continued Atlantic tariff exemption

    Canada News CTV News
    FREDERICTON - The New Brunswick government is calling for an immediate start to negotiations between Canada and the United States to ensure softwood lumber from Atlantic Canada is exempt from countervailing duties. Provincial governments in the region have warned that the duties could lead to mill closures and lost jobs. Source
  • Former Salvation Army exec found guilty of selling donations to black market

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A former Salvation Army executive diverted truckloads of donations received by the charity to the black market as part of scheme to make money, a Toronto court has ruled. David Rennie was found guilty this week of six charges related to the setup, including fraud, theft and trafficking in stolen goods, though he was cleared of a conspiracy charge after a judge found his co-accused not guilty. Source
  • Man pleads not guilty in murder case using Fitbit evidence

    World News CTV News
    ROCKVILLE, Conn. -- A Connecticut man who police say gave an account of his wife's death that differed from information on her Fitbit pleaded not guilty Friday to murder and other charges. Richard Dabate appeared at a hearing in Rockville Superior Court, where his lawyer entered the pleas on his behalf. Source
  • Cleveland officer pleads not guilty to assaulting 2 women with sex toy

    World News Toronto Sun
    CLEVELAND — A suburban Cleveland police officer suspected of assaulting two women with a sex toy during an illegal traffic stop has pleaded not guilty to charges including gross sexual imposition and abduction. Forty-nine-year-old Kenneth Bolton Jr. Source
  • Venezuelans march to prison to demand freedom for activists

    World News CTV News
    CARACAS, Venezuela -- Hundreds of opponents of President Nicolas Maduro were marching to a military prison outside Caracas on Friday to demand the release of Leopoldo Lopez and other jailed activists they consider political prisoners. Source
  • Drunk driver gets over 8 years for killing three people

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- A British Columbia man who killed three people while driving drunk along a winding mountain highway has been sentenced to eight years and four months in prison. Samuel Alec pleaded guilty in B.C. Source
  • Pentagon: U.S. airstrike killed 8 al-Qaida operatives in Yemen

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON - The Pentagon says a U.S. airstrike in Yemen on Sunday killed eight operatives of group known as al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, including a key leader. A spokesman, Navy Capt. Jeff Davis, said the airstrike April 23 killed Abu Ahmed Awlaqi, who had led AQAP operations in Shabwa province. Source