Regina couple sentenced in death of girl in their care

REGINA -- A couple convicted in the death of a girl in their care have been sentenced in a Regina court.

See Full Article

Tammy Goforth, who faced an automatic life sentence for second-degree murder, was told she will not be eligible to apply for parole for at least 17 years.

Her husband Kevin Goforth, who was found guilty of manslaughter, was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

The girls, who can't be identified because of a publication ban, were placed in the Goforths' home in November 2011.

The couple brought the four-year-old to hospital in July 2012 and she was taken off life support a couple of days later.

Her two-year-old sister was also hospitalized, but survived.

The Goforths were also found guilty of unlawfully causing bodily harm in the case of the younger girl.

An agreed statement of facts said the four-year-old died of a brain injury after suffering cardiac arrest. The siblings were severely malnourished, dehydrated and covered in bruises and open sores when they arrived at the hospital.

Court heard during a three-week trial that the couple threw birthday parties for the girls and took them to the park, museums and church.

The defence acknowledged that the girls had lost weight in the weeks before they were hospitalized, but argued they had been sick and Tammy Goforth was trying to nurse them back to health.

Kevin Goforth testified that the children were never denied food. He said supper time at the family's home was important and the girls, who were big eaters, were always part of it.

The Crown said the girls hadn't been fed properly for a prolonged period of time. Anyone could have seen by their gaunt frames that they were wasting away, the prosecutor said.

The couple apologized at their sentencing hearing last month, but relatives of the children shouted that there would be no forgiveness.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Filipino troops kill notorious Abu Sayyaf kidnapper in clash

    World News CTV News
    MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine military chief says marines have killed an Abu Sayyaf extremist commander considered to be one of the most notorious kidnappers in the country's south. Military chief Gen. Eduardo Ano tells The Associated Press that Alhabsy Misaya was slain in a clash with marines late Friday in the jungles between the towns of Indanan and Parang in Sulu province. Source
  • Some U.S. lawmakers want parents charged in genital cutting cases

    World News CTV News
    ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Lawmakers in Minnesota and Texas are pushing to crack down on parents involved with genital cutting after an indictment against a Detroit-area doctor accused of performing the procedure on two young Minnesota girls highlighted the little-known practice. Source
  • Three men sentenced for stealing $18 million worth of maple syrup in Quebec

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    MONTREAL - Three men convicted in connection with the theft of $18 million worth of maple syrup in Quebec were sentenced on Friday to between two and eight years. Superior Court Justice Raymond Pronovost sentenced Richard Vallieres to eight years in prison, confiscated $606,500 from him and fined him another $9.4 million. Source
  • Donald Trump to NRA: 'Eight-year assault on your Second Amendment freedoms has come to a crashing end' [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    ATLANTA - President Donald Trump reaffirmed his support for gun rights Friday, telling attendees of a National Rifle Association convention that “the eight-year assault on your Second Amendment freedoms has come to a crashing end.” Trump, the first sitting president to address the group’s annual convention in more than 30 years, assured the audience that he would defend their right to bear arms in a campaign-like speech reminiscent of his election rallies. Source
  • Friends hail slain 86-year-old Calif. woman as hero for allegedly defending friend

    World News CTV News
    NORTH HIGHLANDS, Calif. -- A young man was identified Friday as the suspect in the sexual assault and beating death of an 86-year-old California woman. She was remembered as a hero by investigators and neighbours after she used a walking stick to try to stop the alleged assailant from attacking her friend. Source
  • Conviction, 5-year sentence upheld for cop who faked crash reports

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A veteran police officer who prepared bogus accident reports in exchange for cash lost his bid on Friday to overturn his conviction and five-year prison term. In upholding the guilty finding, the Court of Appeal for Ontario rejected arguments from Peel Regional Police Const. Source
  • Major earthquake hits south of Philippines, no injuries reported

    World News CTV News
    MANILA, Philippines - Philippine officials say a powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.2 has struck off a southern province and prompted a local tsunami warning, but there are no immediate reports of damage or injuries. Source
  • Videos reportedly show gruesome abuse of young boy who was fed to pigs

    World News Toronto Sun
    KANSAS CITY, MO. - Videos and photos from a home in Kansas where a 7-year-old boy’s remains were found in a pigsty show the boy suffered horrific abuse in the months before he died, the child’s maternal grandmother said. Source
  • Fentanyl suspected in 2 deaths in Newfoundland

    Canada News CTV News
    The drug fentanyl is suspected of killing two people and causing 14 other overdoses in Newfoundland and Labrador. The local health authority issued a warning Thursday, saying the drug is suspected of causing 15 overdoses, including one death. Source
  • Men sentenced up to 8 years for Quebec maple syrup heist

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Three men convicted in connection with the theft of $18 million worth of maple syrup in Quebec were sentenced on Friday to between two and eight years. Superior Court Justice Raymond Pronovost sentenced Richard Vallieres to eight years in prison, confiscated $606,500 from him and fined him another $9.4 million. Source