WestJet employees speak out in wake of pilot sex assault allegations

Current and former WestJet employees are raising troubling concerns about the airline’s workplace culture, days after a lawsuit was filed alleging the company told a flight attendant to stay quiet about being sexually assaulted by a pilot.

See Full Article

In her suit, Mandalena Lewis claims she was kissed and groped against her will by a man identified only as “Pilot M” during a layover at the Makena Beach Resort in Hawaii in January 2010.

Lewis said she reported the incident to WestJet, but the airline failed to investigate it. Instead, she alleges WestJet told her to “keep quiet” then adjusted the pilot’s schedule so he wouldn’t be arrested by Hawaiian authorities.

On Thursday, one current employee, who asked not to be identified to protect her job, told CTV News the lawsuit has left some WestJet workers feeling unprotected.

“WestJet dropped the ball. Our people were not taken care of,” she said.

“Flight attendants are… fearful that the company has allowed this to go unchecked for as long as it has.”

She said employees are also afraid that speaking out within the company will result in retribution.

“Management has outright said that they will expunge people who are causing disruption within the workplace, and that people who are questioning the system are no longer welcome,” she said.

Lewis claims she was fired in January, almost eight years after she started with WestJet, for demanding the airline explain how it had investigated her alleged assault.

Another flight attendant, Daniel Kufuor-Boakye, was fired a few days after Lewis. He told CTV News they were both involved in a union drive, and he believes that may have played a role in their dismissals.

“Something to instill fear in people whose voice may be used to bring a union into a company,” Kufuor-Boakye said.

In the wake of Lewis’s allegations, an online petition has also been launched calling on WestJet’s CEO to step down. By Thursday evening, more than 12,000 people had signed.

CTV News has also learned of six other women alleging they've been sexually assaulted, and who have requested the contact information for Lewis's lawyer.

On Thursday, the airline released a statement saying it takes the employees’ allegations very seriously.

“We are committed to maintaining a safe and healthy workplace environment, and encourage our employees to report any behaviour that may violate our policies,” WestJet said in an email.

The company has also pledged to “vigorously defend the allegations” in Lewis’s lawsuit, but has yet to file a statement of defence in the case.

None of the claims against the airline have been proven in court.

With a report from CTV Vancouver’s Mi-Jung Lee



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Canadian youth still waiting for promised 'green jobs' but labour minister confident

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — The federal government will find a way to create 15,000 green jobs over three years, even after falling well short of a smaller goal last year, Canada’s labour minister says. Labour Minister Patty Hajdu says it took the government “a little bit of time to co-ordinate ourselves,” after promising during the 2015 election campaign to create 5,000 so-called “green jobs. Source
  • Authorities continue probe of catheter allegedly found in Quebec ice cream

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Federal inspectors say no health threats have been identified at a Quebec ice cream factory they visited after a family claimed to have found a catheter in a tub of the treat. The Francoeur family from Trois-Rivieres told various media they allegedly found the end of a purple plastic catheter tube in a container of Coaticook ice cream last week. Source
  • Secretary of late Princess Diana tells all on her eating disorder hell

    World News Toronto Sun
    There’s no denying that Princess Diana struggled with a lot of different demons throughout her life, particularly with her tireless attempts to fit in with the royal family. But now her one and only private secretary, Patrick Jephson, is speaking out about his experience witnessing Di’s battle with anorexia, Radaronline.com has learned. Source
  • Man charged after puppy found in Toronto shopping centre trash can

    Canada News CTV News
    Toronto police have charged a man accused of leaving a puppy in a garbage can at a shopping centre last week. Police say a man was seen on security footage discarding a dark bag in a trash can on July 11. Source
  • ‘Thank you, thank you, thank you’: O.J. gets parole [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    LOVELOCK, Nev. — O.J. Simpson once thrilled crowds as he ran for touchdowns and hurdled airport seats in car rental ads to achieve Hollywood celebrity before he was acquitted of murder in the 1995 “trial of the century” in Los Angeles. Source
  • 140,000 live Canadian lobster sold to China in 24 hours

    Canada News CBC News
    Chinese buyers snapped up more than 140,000 live Canadian lobsters within 24 hours last week through a Beijing-based online retailer, and the demand can only grow, says a New Brunswick supplier. The live lobsters came from a variety of sources for the sale July 14 on jd.com, one of the largest e-commerce websites in the world. Source
  • Police seek woman who they say may have played role in quadruple homicide

    Canada News CTV News
    Calgary police are seeking the public's help in finding a woman who they believe may have played a significant role in a quadruple homicide earlier this month. Investigators want to question Yu Chieh Liao, who goes by Diana Liao, in the deaths of two sisters and two men. Source
  • Banff's Sunshine Village clearing out guests as crews tackle nearby wildfire

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY - A popular Rocky Mountain resort in Banff National Park is being cleared of guests so that crews can fight a wildfire raging in the nearby backcountry. Sunshine Village, a ski hill on the Alberta-B.C. Source
  • Egyptian who claimed refugee status loses legal fight over terrorist branding

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- An Egyptian man branded as a threat to Canada's national security has failed in what could prove to be his final attempt at lifting the terrorist designation that has hung over him for the past 15 years. Source
  • Secret archives show Churchill tried to cover up Nazi plan to woo former king

    World News Toronto Sun
    Winston Churchill and Dwight Eisenhower tried to suppress captured Nazi documents that showed Britain's former King Edward VIII discussing his desire for peace with Adolf Hitler, according to files newly released in London. The National Archives published more papers Thursday from the U.K. Source