N.S. teen accuses foster family of abuse

A teenage boy in Nova Scotia, who has run away from foster care, tells CTV News life with his foster family has become unbearable.

See Full Article

He’s run away before, and police are looking to find him and take him back again, but the 15-year-old says he’s never going back.

“The foster father, four years every single day, there wasn’t a single day that went without him yelling at my face,” he explains.

His story is of a childhood lost, taken from his birth father when he was 8-years-old.

He’s been in a handful of foster families for almost half his life.

He was adopted once, but returned to care.

He says his foster brothers regularly intimidate him, and one even punched him.

He says his social worker knew he felt verbally and emotionally abused, yet he says, did nothing.

“The social worker is aware of everything that’s happening,” he explains. “When I got hit, she was fully aware, she got the police involved for maybe two days and then she called it off and said it was fine, don’t worry about it.”

The teen says he first ran away a month ago.

The police came to get him and as he neared closer to the home he fled, he jumped out of the vehicle.

“I will not go back. I would rather live on the streets than be in care,” he says. “It’s not what everybody makes it out to be, they’re not helping kids at all. Maybe there are some that are but for the most part, no. I consider it a big prison for kids basically.”

Officials with the province’s Department of Community Services say that’s the opposite of what the system is supposed to be.

“When we receive concerns from a child in care, we respond,” explains Wendy Bungay, director of child protection. “We take the safety of our children in care very seriously and we have processes in place to respond.”

The teen says he is caught in a catch 22.

He needs a lawyer to help him return to his birth father.

“I love my family to death.”

But he can’t get legal help until he is found by police, which means he would be returned to his foster family, and that he says, isn’t an option.

With files from CTV Atlantic’s Kelly Linehan.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Suspect in Quebec Amber Alert case makes brief initial court appearance

    Canada News CTV News
    SAINT-JEROME, Que. -- The 41-year-old father at the heart of an Amber Alert in Quebec earlier this month made his first court appearance today. He kept his stare fixed to the ground as he briefly appeared before a judge in Saint-Jerome, Que. Source
  • 'The scale is just vast': Authorities, aid workers in Bangladesh overwhelmed by Rohingya refugees

    World News CBC News
    Khanon Zahed survived a killing campaign at home and an epic cross-border escape, only to end up lying on a dirty sheet on the floor of a hallway at a Bangladesh hospital. Five-year-old Zahed is just one of the more than 430,000 Rohingya from Myanmar now sheltering in Bangladesh — an exodus of vast proportions that in the span of only one month has overwhelmed the authorities here and bewildered even the most seasoned aid workers. Source
  • Anthony Weiner sentenced to 21 months for sexting teen

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — Former Rep. Anthony Weiner was sentenced Monday to 21 months in prison for sexting with a 15-year-old girl in a case that rocked Hillary Clinton’s campaign for the White House in the closing days of the race and may have cost her the presidency. Source
  • Warnings issued as record temperatures continue in Ontario, Quebec

    Canada News CTV News
    The first weekend of fall proved to be one of the hottest of the year in southern Ontario and Quebec as heat warnings spanned the area and continue into the week. Temperatures across the southern parts of both provinces exceeded 30 C with the humidex levels approaching the 40s over the weekend, breaking numerous heat records in the process. Source
  • Pennsylvania funeral director arrested over corpse pictures

    World News Toronto Sun
    EAST STROUDSBURG, Pa. — A Pennsylvania funeral director has been charged with abusing corpses for allegedly taking cellphone pictures of the dead to “gross out” her friends and family. Twenty-seven-year-old Angeliegha Stewart also faces a marijuana charge, after Monroe County detectives found conversations about deals when they searched her phone last month amid their investigation into the photos. Source
  • Murder charges laid after body found outside N.S. home

    Canada News CTV News
    A 30-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder in connection with the discovery of a man’s body in New Minas, N.S. Police were called to the rural Nova Scotia address on Lockhart Drive at 9:25 a.m. Source
  • Calif. hot dog vendor whose earnings were seized gets $87Gs from supporters

    World News Toronto Sun
    BERKELEY, Calif. — A California street vendor who was had his money confiscated for selling bacon hot dogs on a Berkeley sidewalk without a permit has received more than $87,000 raised by supporters. The East Bay Times reports Rigoberto Matias on Saturday received a check for $87,921 from Martin Flores, who recorded a video of the Sept. Source
  • Rare comic books stolen in two separate heists, police investigate

    Canada News CTV News
    Police in southern Ontario are investigating two separate thefts of rare comic books valued at more than $300,000. Durham regional police say the owner of a comic book business had both his home and workplace broken into at separate times this month. Source
  • Megyn Kelly says she’s ’done with politics’ in NBC show debut

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — Megyn Kelly made her debut as an NBC morning TV host on Monday with the declaration that she’s “kind of done with politics for now.” The former Fox News Channel anchor was in the thick of it during the 2016 presidential campaign, most notably when then-candidate Donald Trump turned on her following her sharp questioning of him in a debate. Source
  • Manitoba mother arrested after child abandoned in stroller

    Canada News CTV News
    BRANDON, Man. -- Police in western Manitoba have charged a mother for abandoning her toddler in a stroller. Brandon police say an 18-month-old girl was left alone in the city's downtown in August. Police say they received a call from a concerned woman who found the child and stayed with her, waiting for her parents to show up. Source