- Category: Canada News
- Published Thursday, March 3, 2016
- CTV News
MONTREAL -- The Quebec government has granted another $500,000 to an anti-radicalization centre in Montreal.
The sum is in addition to another $1 million the province gave the centre, as well as $1 million it will receive from the City of Montreal between last year and 2017.
Public Security Minister Martin Coiteux made the announcement Thursday alongside Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre and Herman Deparice-Okomba, head of the facility.
Coderre, who recently spoke to a United Nations group about migrants, said the centre was the focus of much admiration when he was in New York City.
It has received 647 calls since opening a year ago. Nine of those were referred to police, while 147 required "direct intervention" because the people involved were just getting started in the radicalization process, said Deparice-Okomba.