- Category: Canada News
- Published Thursday, March 3, 2016
- CTV News
VANCOUVER -- The University of British Columbia has announced the members of a committee that will develop a sexual assault policy, after students complained the process for reporting attacks was broken.
Kimberley Beck of the Office of the University Counsel and Sara-Jane Finlay of the Equity and Inclusion Office will lead the 12-member committee of students, staff and faculty from the Okanagan and Vancouver campuses.
A first draft of the policy is expected to be ready for review and consultation in June, with a final policy to be submitted to the Board of Governors in October.
UBC vowed to create a standalone policy for responding to sexual assaults last November after a group of former and current graduate students complained the school had dragged its heels on responding to multiple allegations about a PhD candidate.
The university currently relies on a general discrimination and harassment policy, and a recent investigation into the students' allegations concluded that a lack of clarity around procedures led to the delayed response.
UBC has announced a separate panel made up of four professors and a graduate student, who will consult broadly with experts on its two campuses and prepare a report by May with recommendations for the policy committee.
The university is also working on a campus-wide prevention plan to reduce sexual assault, and is developing an action plan that it says will shape a respectful campus culture and improve policy and practice.
The 12 members of the policy committee are:
- Kimberley Beck -- Legal counsel, Office of the University Counsel, UBC Vancouver
- Sara-Jane Finlay -- Associate vice-president, Equity and Inclusion, UBC Vancouver
- Shannon Dunn -- Director of business operations, UBC Okanagan
- Tobias Friedel -- President, Graduate Students Society, UBC Vancouver
- Susan Frohlick -- Head of the Community, Culture and Global Studies Unit, Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Sciences, UBC Okanagan
- Isabel Grant -- Professor, Allard School of Law, UBC Vancouver
- Daniel Heath Justice -- English professor, chair of First Nations Studies, UBC Vancouver
- Patricia Mirwaldt -- Director, Student Health Services, UBC Vancouver
- Linda McKnight -- Director, Human Resources Advisory Services, UBC Vancouver
- Jenna Omassi -- Vice-President of academic and university affairs, Alma Mater Society, UBC Vancouver
- Janice Robinson -- Director or residence life, Student Housing and Hospitality Services, UBC Vancouver
- Kimberly Rutledge -- UBC Students' Union Okanagan, UBC Okanagan