'Help Kenya, Not Kanye' campaign promotes Edmonton-based charity

An Edmonton-based charity devoted to providing support to orphans affected by HIV/AIDS is an inadvertent beneficiary of an online campaign to “Help Kenya, not Kanye.

See Full Article

After seeing tweets from singer Kanye West asking for help paying a $53-million debt, an online crowdfunding campaign was launched to encourage consumers to re-direct spending away from Kanye West-related merchandise to charities that benefit people in Kenya.

The campaign highlights the cost of Kanye merchandise, comparing it to the cost of various charitable initiatives helping to provide the impoverished people in Kenya with necessities such as food, water and homes.

One of the initiatives listed on the website is One Child’s Village, a charity based out of Edmonton.

Todd Lorrentz, managing director of One Child’s Village, said that he was unaware that the charity was being featured on the website until he received an email last week requesting information about the organization.

“I thought it was a spam email at first, and did some research after that, and soon we found out we were part of the campaign to Help Kenya, Not Kanye,” Lorrentz said in an interview on CTV’s Canada AM on Wednesday.

On the Help Kenya Not Kanye website, consumers are encouraged to donate to One Child’s Village under a “Famine > Fashion” headline.

“Kanye recently released the new collection for his Yeezus clothing line,” the website states. “Prices are not out yet, but previous sweatshirts have listed at $700. For $700, you can feed an entire school of 200 malnourished Kenyan orphans and their 10 teachers for a month.”

One Child’s Village is a small, volunteer-based operation, so any word-of-mouth publicity is a huge opportunity, Lorrentz said.

The charity has very little by way of overhead costs, which means most of the donor dollars can go directly to the project.

“So it’s really effective but then we also don’t have big marketing budgets and we don’t have a lot of resources,” Lorrentz said, adding support from the public is very important.

“We have the capacity to really take money that comes in in the morning and translate it into food in the evening in Kenya, and be feeding our orphans,” Lorrentz said. “So we can move very quickly, we’re very flexible and it’s something that the public can get behind.”

Lorrentz said, since the launch of “Help Kenya, Not Kanye,” more donations have just “started to trickle in.”

“The campaign is early still but the media has done a lot to really bring this item to the public’s awareness so we’re really hoping that the public will jump on board with this, and help out the kids in Africa,” Lorrentz said.

Other charities that benefit from a donation to Help Kenya Not Kanye include UNICEF, the African Wildlife Foundation and Habitat For Humanity Kenya.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • South Korean parliament sets up presidential impeachment vote

    World News CTV News
    SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of - South Korea's opposition-controlled parliament has formally introduced an impeachment motion on President Park Geun-hye. This sets the stage for a likely impeachment vote Friday. A parliamentary official reported the motion to a plenary session Thursday. Source
  • Campus cop shot teen holding knife at Nevada high school

    World News CTV News
    RENO, Nev. -- A campus police officer shot a knife-wielding student at a Nevada high school on Wednesday during a confrontation witnessed by dozens of other students, Reno police said. The 14-year-old boy was reported in critical condition Wednesday night at a Reno hospital, Police Chief Jason Soto said. Source
  • Italian PM Renzi quits as search begins for new leader

    World News CTV News
    ROME -- Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi resigned Wednesday evening, his self-inflicted penalty for staking his job on constitutional changes voters resoundingly rejected earlier in the week. He will stay in a caretaker's role at the request of Italy's president until a new government can be formed. Source
  • Winnipeg man pleads guilty to bigamy

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    A former Winnipeg man married to two women for more than a year has learned what happens in Vegas doesn’t always stay in Vegas. The 43-year-old man pleaded guilty in Winnipeg court Wednesday to one count of bigamy. Source
  • Rescuers search through Indonesia quake rubble for second day

    World News CTV News
    MEUREUDU, Indonesia - Rescue workers, soldiers and police combed through the rubble of a devastated town in Indonesia's Aceh province Thursday, resuming a search for earthquake survivors that was halted at night by rain and blackouts. Source
  • Mississippi teacher barred for 12 years after dragging student by hair

    World News Toronto Sun
    JACKSON, Miss. — Fired, criminally charged and with her state teaching license on the line, Linda Winters-Johnson admitted Wednesday that she’d been wrong to drag a special education student by the hair across the gym floor at Greenville High School. Source
  • New York restaurant threatened by Pizzagate hoax callers

    World News CTV News
    NEW YORK -- A popular New York restaurant has become the latest victim of a fake-news conspiracy about Hillary Clinton running a child sex ring out of a Washington, D.C., pizza joint. Roberta's, a Brooklyn restaurant known for its wood-fired pizza, received telephone calls threatening its employees, police confirmed on Wednesday. Source
  • Mom on the run

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    She’s Canada’s most wanted fugitive. But she’s also mom — one whose family insists she’s not a criminal but just trying to protect her nine-year-old daughter. Child abductor or protector? However it’s sorted out, the manhunt is on for Allana Haist. Source
  • New trial order for mom accused of having sex with kids' underage friend

    Canada News CTV News
    REGINA -- The Saskatchewan Court of Appeal has ordered a new trial for a woman accused of having sex with the underage friend of her teenage children. The order was made after the Crown appealed a Court of Queen's Bench ruling that acquitted Barbara George, who was 35 at the time, of sexual assault and sexual interference. Source
  • Ohio House committee approves 20-week abortion ban

    World News CTV News
    COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Abortions would be banned after 20 weeks under a bill that Republican lawmakers hope to pass Thursday and add to legislation already on its way to GOP Gov. John Kasich that would prohibit abortions once a fetal heartbeat is detected. Source