Plans to move women into men's jail in Newfoundland blamed on overcrowding

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. -- Plans to move female prisoners into a separate unit at a men's penitentiary are a "less than ideal" fix for overcrowding, says an inmate advocate.

See Full Article

"Housing women and men in the same institution is less than what we call best practice," said Cindy Murphy, executive director of the John Howard Society of Newfoundland and Labrador.

"We're very hopeful that some other solutions will be put on the table in the near future."

Justice Minister Andrew Parsons announced Tuesday that a fully self-contained unit at Her Majesty's Penitentiary (HMP) in St. John's is being renovated to house about 14 women starting later this month.

He said it's a temporary move to deal with a "sharp increase" of inmates at the province's only correctional centre for women in Clarenville.

Parsons said the jail, about 90 minutes northwest of St. John's, had 10 inmates more than its capacity of 26 over the last month.

Several more women are at the St. John's Lockup, a short-term holding unit.

"This puts a significant strain on the inmates and the staff," Parsons said in a statement. "Renovations are being made to the intermittent unit at HMP to ensure there is absolutely no interaction between male and female inmates, and we are also working to ensure that staffing requirements are met.

"I stress that this is a temporary measure and women will only stay at HMP when it is absolutely necessary."

Murphy said the John Howard Society agreed to support the plan as there was no other option, but was given no timeline for a permanent solution.

More women are winding up behind bars as they commit crimes to support alcohol and narcotics addictions, she said Tuesday in an interview.

"There seems to be an increase in the amount of substance abuse among the female population."

The province has repeatedly called on Ottawa to help it replace Her Majesty's Penitentiary.

The original stone structure of the Victorian-era jail dates back to 1859. There have been additions and major renovations over the years, but successive justice ministers have said staff are trying to manage increasingly volatile, drug-fuelled conflicts in an outdated building that only adds to tensions.

In 2014, rioters trashed a living unit and caused tens of thousands of dollars in damages.

The penitentiary was designed for a maximum of 175 men, but daily counts have at times reached well over capacity.

Parsons said female inmates are to have access to their own showers, washrooms, kitchenette, common room and outdoor recreation area.

Both the John Howard Society and the Provincial Advisory Council on the Status of Women "recognized the need for this action and provided valuable input," he said.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Hardening 'soft targets' won’t stop terror attacks: experts

    World News CTV News
    Security officials around the world are scrambling to harden so-called “soft targets” -- plentiful and vulnerable civilian gathering sites like night clubs, outdoor festivals and outside stadiums -- in the wake of the latest deadly bombing attack. Source
  • Strong winds knock out power to 10s of thousands across B.C.

    Canada News CBC News
    A strong blast of cold windy weather has hit B.C. hard, resulting in power outages in communities far and wide across the province. As of 7:30 p.m. PT, there were over 50,000 customers without power, with significant outages in Prince George, Quesnel, Salmon Arm, Parksville, Pender Island, Oak Bay, Saanich, and throughout the Lower Mainland. Source
  • Families may boycott delayed MMIW inquiry as deadline approaches

    Canada News CTV News
    Families of missing and murdered indigenous women gathered on Parliament Hill Tuesday to voice their anger over the lack of progress in the inquiry. “We’re losing our loved ones even now,” said victim’s family member Jocelyn Wabano-Iahtail. Source
  • Manchester bomber identified as local man of Libyan descent

    World News CTV News
    MANCHESTER, England -- The man who police say blew himself up in a packed concert arena in Manchester, killing 22 people, did not make a strong impression on his neighbours. Residents of the Manchester suburb of modest brick semi-detached homes where 22-year-old Salman Abedi lived remembered seeing the tall, thin young man who often wore traditional Islamic dress. Source
  • 'It was just sheer chaos': Ariana Grande fans describe attack

    World News CTV News
    MANCHESTER, England -- Rihanna Hardy had been excited about seeing Ariana Grande ever since she got her concert ticket as a gift at Christmas. So when the day came, the 11-year-old left school a couple of hours early to make sure to get to Manchester Arena on time. Source
  • Uber admits to underpaying NYC drivers by millions of dollars

    World News CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Uber has admitted to underpaying its New York City drivers tens of millions of dollars for the past 2 1/2 years. The ride-hailing company on Tuesday said each affected driver would get a refund of about $900, which includes interest. Source
  • N.S. boy clothes the homeless to cope with father's tragic death

    Canada News CTV News
    Ken Gordon was known for dropping everything to help anyone who needed it. The 54-year-old was killed at the side of a Nova Scotia highway while checking the cargo in the back of his truck in March. Source
  • Montreal schizophrenia patients face their demons through virtual reality

    Canada News CBC News
    A pilot project at Montreal's Philippe-Pinel Institute has patients with schizophrenia confronting voices that torment them by way of a virtual reality experience. The project, developed by psychiatrist and researcher Alexandre Dumais, allows patients to create computer-generated avatars that look and talk like the demons they face inside their heads. Source
  • OPP officer charged with criminal harassment and 2 counts sexual assault

    Canada News CTV News
    SMITHS FALLS, Ont. - An eastern Ontario provincial police is facing charges in an ongoing domestic investigation. They say the investigation stems from incidents that are alleged to have occurred while the officer was off duty. Source
  • Online threat against Sophie Grégoire Trudeau leads to arrest of Lethbridge woman

    Canada News CBC News
    A Lethbridge, Alta. woman is facing charges after allegedly posting threats online against Sophie Grégoire Trudeau, wife of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. The RCMP's Integrated National Security Enforcement Team based in Alberta — K-INSET — was alerted to the threats made against the Canadian government on May 11 and an arrest was made the next day. Source