Canadian donations for Syrian relief efforts fall short

OTTAWA - The dollars are still being counted, but the amount of money donated by Canadians for overseas Syrian relief efforts will likely fall well short of the maximum $100 million the government had promised to match.

See Full Article

Monday marked the final day for Canadians to give money for Syrian aid in order to ensure those dollars were matched by the federal government.

Upwards of $16 million in donations had been received by Monday by UNICEF, World Vision and the Red Cross, but several other groups taking part have not released their figures.

The program, launched by the Conservatives, was set to close at the end of 2015 but the Liberals extended the deadline to raise more money.

At the time the government announced the extension, about $12 million had been raised since the program launched last September.

Since January 2012, Canada has committed $653.5 million in humanitarian assistance in response to the Syria crisis.

Previously, the government had only used matching funds in response to natural disasters.

In the aftermath of the 2010 earthquake in Haiti, the government matched $220 million in donations; the 2013 relief program for Typhoon Haiyan saw $85.6 million raised.

The Syrian fund was created by the Conservatives in response to a surge in Canadian demand to do more to help alleviate the massive humanitarian crisis caused by the nearly five-year old Syrian civil war.

Some estimates put the number of people killed in the war or forced the flee their homes at 11 million. Those who remain struggle for secure access to water, food and often times shelter.

Meanwhile, more than 4.7 million people have registered as refugees with the United Nations in countries in the region, while hundreds of thousands more have fled on their own to try and find safety in Europe.

Among them was the family of Alan Kurdi. The toddler drowned as his family fled; a photograph of his dead body on a Turkish beach captured the imagination of the world and made him a household name around the world.

Kurdi had relatives in Canada, which for many brought the crisis home.

Most international relief organizations had been fundraising for years to support humanitarian efforts inside Syria and in the surrounding countries, but the photograph prompted an increase in donations.

In 2013, the Humanitarian Coalition ran a three-month ad campaign for Syrian relief and netted $550,000. In the week after the photo appeared, they raised half that without making a single call.

UNICEF spokeswoman Tiffany Baggetta said donations to her organizations also spiked in September but then dipped for the rest of last year.

"We have seen an increase in donations to our Syrian crisis response through January and February - particularly in the last couple of weeks," she said in an email.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Former CIA head to answer questions about Russian meddling

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Former CIA Director John Brennan is set to testify publicly about the intelligence underpinning the Obama administration's conclusion that Russia interfered in the 2016 election and could shed light on concerns about the security risk posed by U.S. Source
  • Manchester death toll rises after suicide bomber at Ariana Grande concert kills 22 [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    MANCHESTER, England — An apparent suicide bomber attacked an Ariana Grande concert as it ended Monday night, killing 22 people among a panicked crowd of young concertgoers, some still wearing the star’s trademark kitten ears and holding pink balloons as they fled. Source
  • Donald Trump: ‘Evil losers’ carried out deadly terrorist attack on Manchester concert goers [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    BETHLEHEM - President Donald Trump on Tuesday condemned the “evil losers” responsible for a deadly attack on concert-goers in England and called on leaders in the Middle East in particular to help root out violence. “The terrorists and extremists and those who give them aid and comfort must be driven out from our society forever,” Trump said in Bethlehem alongside Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas. Source
  • British PM Theresa May calls Manchester concert bombing an act of 'appalling, sickening cowardice' [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    LONDON — British Prime Minister Theresa May says the attack on a concert venue in Manchester Monday night “stands out for its appalling, sickening cowardice” Authorities say 22 people were killed and almost 60 wounded when an explosion went off at the end of a concert by American pop star Ariana Grande in the northern England city. Source
  • 'Choose your Quebec' campaign signs reinstalled in Montreal

    Canada News CTV News
    A controversial campaign poster put up by a candidate in the upcoming Montreal byelection has been reinstalled after some said it promotes racism. The sign, which was hung outside the Jean-Talon and Beaubien Metro stations, shows two images of the same woman wearing a toque with a Quebec flag in one, and wearing a Muslim niqab in the other. Source
  • Iconic Honest Ed's sign coming down starting Tuesday

    Canada News CTV News
    One of Toronto’s most recognizable signs will soon be no more. On Tuesday, work crews will begin to remove the flashy Honest Ed’s sign in downtown Toronto. The 23,000-bulb sign has welcomed discount bargain hunters to the intersection of Bathurst and Bloor Streets for decades. Source
  • 'Evil losers': Trump condemns Manchester attack

    World News CTV News
    BETHLEHEM, Palestinian Territory -- U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday condemned a deadly attack at a pop concert in Manchester, England as the act of "evil losers" and called on nations to band together to fight terrorism. Source
  • Manchester death toll rises after suicide bomber at Ariana Grande concert kills 22 [Photos] [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    MANCHESTER, England — An apparent suicide bomber attacked an Ariana Grande concert as it ended Monday night, killing 22 people among a panicked crowd of young concertgoers, some still wearing the star’s trademark kitten ears and holding pink balloons as they fled. Source
  • Donald Trump: ‘Evil losers’ carried out deadly terrorist attack on Manchester concert goers

    World News Toronto Sun
    BETHLEHEM - President Donald Trump on Tuesday condemned the “evil losers” responsible for a deadly attack on concert-goers in England and called on leaders in the Middle East in particular to help root out violence. “The terrorists and extremists and those who give them aid and comfort must be driven out from our society forever,” Trump said in Bethlehem alongside Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas. Source
  • Online 'sextortion' cases involving teen boys spiking: experts

    Canada News CTV News
    Child exploitation experts say they've detected a spike in reports of online "sextortion" cases involving teen boys.Scroll down or click here to vote in our poll of the day The Canadian Centre for Child Protection says 65 boys reported incidents to Cybertip.ca in 2015-16 - an 89 per cent increase from the previous two-year period of 2013-2014. Source