Canadian donations for Syrian relief efforts falls short

OTTAWA - The dollars are still being counted, but the amount of money donated by Canadians for overseas Syrian relief efforts will likely fall well short of the maximum $100 million the government had promised to match.

See Full Article

Monday marked the final day for Canadians to give money for Syrian aid in order to ensure those dollars were matched by the federal government.

Upwards of $16 million in donations had been received by Monday by UNICEF, World Vision and the Red Cross, but several other groups taking part have not released their figures.

The program, launched by the Conservatives, was set to close at the end of 2015 but the Liberals extended the deadline to raise more money.

At the time the government announced the extension, about $12 million had been raised since the program launched last September.

Since January 2012, Canada has committed $653.5 million in humanitarian assistance in response to the Syria crisis.

Previously, the government had only used matching funds in response to natural disasters.

In the aftermath of the 2010 earthquake in Haiti, the government matched $220 million in donations; the 2013 relief program for Typhoon Haiyan saw $85.6 million raised.

The Syrian fund was created by the Conservatives in response to a surge in Canadian demand to do more to help alleviate the massive humanitarian crisis caused by the nearly five-year old Syrian civil war.

Some estimates put the number of people killed in the war or forced the flee their homes at 11 million. Those who remain struggle for secure access to water, food and often times shelter.

Meanwhile, more than 4.7 million people have registered as refugees with the United Nations in countries in the region, while hundreds of thousands more have fled on their own to try and find safety in Europe.

Among them was the family of Alan Kurdi. The toddler drowned as his family fled; a photograph of his dead body on a Turkish beach captured the imagination of the world and made him a household name around the world.

Kurdi had relatives in Canada, which for many brought the crisis home.

Most international relief organizations had been fundraising for years to support humanitarian efforts inside Syria and in the surrounding countries, but the photograph prompted an increase in donations.

In 2013, the Humanitarian Coalition ran a three-month ad campaign for Syrian relief and netted $550,000. In the week after the photo appeared, they raised half that without making a single call.

UNICEF spokeswoman Tiffany Baggetta said donations to her organizations also spiked in September but then dipped for the rest of last year.

"We have seen an increase in donations to our Syrian crisis response through January and February - particularly in the last couple of weeks," she said in an email.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Coast guard recommends removal of oil from wreck off Newfoundland coast

    Canada News CTV News
    ST. JOHN'S, N.L. -- The Canadian Coast Guard is recommending full removal of the remaining oil from a ship that ran aground and sank off Newfoundland's Change Islands in 1985. Regional director Anne Miller says it is too early to say how much it will cost to remove the oil from the Manolis L. Source
  • Senior accused in wife's death not mentally fit to stand trial: psychiatrist

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY - A psychiatrist says an 85-year-old Calgary man accused of murdering his wife of 56 years is mentally unfit to stand trial. Siegfried van Zuiden was charged in October with second-degree murder after he called 911 and police officers found his 80-year-old wife, Audrey, dead in their home. Source
  • NATO flexes muscles in Lithuania — with an eye on Russia

    World News CBC News
    Troops from 11 NATO countries including the United States rehearsed battle skills in a snowy Lithuanian forest on Friday, and the leader of the Baltic state voiced confidence that U.S. commitment to Europe's defence would survive the election of Donald Trump as president. Source
  • Stolen Nazi concentration camp gate believed found in Norway

    World News CTV News
    BERLIN -- German police say the wrought iron gate to the Nazis' Dachau concentration camp that was stolen two years ago appears to have been found in western Norway. Bavarian police said Friday the gate, bearing the slogan "Arbeit macht frei," or "Work sets you free," was located in the Bergen area after authorities received an anonymous tip. Source
  • Cars line up to get into wildfire-ravaged Tennessee city

    World News CTV News
    GATLINBURG, Tenn. -- People in cars and trucks rolled into the wildfire-ravaged city of Gatlinburg on Friday to get a first look at what remains of their homes and businesses, and a mayor raised the death toll to 13, including a person who appeared to die of a heart attack while fleeing the flames. Source
  • Part-time work helps Canada add 10,700 jobs; jobless rate dips to 6.8%

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — The Canadian labour market unexpectedly added 10,700 net jobs last month and the unemployment rate slid to 6.8 per cent — but the latest numbers raise questions about the quality of the work. Statistics Canada’s November employment survey shows yet another monthly decline in the more-desirable category of full-time work — a figure more than offset by a gain in part-time jobs. Source
  • Drones to deliver to remote Canadian towns [Video]

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Residents of Pickle Lake are salivating at the thought of pizza delivery by drones. The end-of-the-road northern Ontario community is one of more than 1,000 isolated towns across the country that could be catered to by first-of-a-kind service drones by the end of next year. Source
  • Ohio State attacker buried amid shock from family over death

    World News CTV News
    COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The Somali-born student who hurt nearly a dozen people in a car-and-knife attack at Ohio State University before a police officer quickly shot and killed him has been buried as his relatives remain stunned about his death. Source
  • Elderly Calgary man accused of killing wife medically unfit for trial, judge rules

    Canada News CBC News
    An 85-year-old Calgary man who was charged with second-degree murder in the death of his wife has been declared unfit to stand trial. Audrey van Zuiden, who was 80, was found on Oct. 4 in the home she shared with Fred van Zuiden, her husband of 56 years. Source
  • Rape used for ethnic cleansing in South Sudan, says UN team

    World News CTV News
    KAMPALA, Uganda -- Rape in South Sudan is "one of the tools being used for ethnic cleansing," a U.N. team of human rights investigators said Friday, adding that sexual violence in the East African nation "has reached epic proportions. Source