Canadian parents say their children contracted rashes at Mexican resorts

Several Canadian families say their children contracted infectious rashes while visiting a popular resort area of Mexico. They believe the rashes were contracted during a suspected outbreak of hand, foot and mouth disease, a mild viral infection that can cause sores or rashes to develop in various areas of the body.

See Full Article

Last week, an Alberta woman posted a photo online of small red bumps that had developed all over her 18-month-old daughter’s legs following a trip to the Royalton Riviera Cancun resort, a popular tourist destination near Cancun, Mexico.

“She started out with a fever and what I thought were bug bites at first,” Katrina Boblin, of Black Diamond, Alta., told CTV Calgary. “Then the fever got worse and she started vomiting.”

Boblin said the resort offered to let her stay for longer free of charge, but wanted her to sign a non-disclosure agreement. She refused the deal and took to social media to tell others about the experience instead.

“I just wanted to make sure that it wasn’t going to happen to anybody else because it was awful,” Boblin said. “I'm making a point to notify any families with children while I am here,” she wrote in the post.

As of Sunday morning, her Facebook post had been shared nearly 25,000 times.

In a statement to CTV Calgary, the resort said it is aware of the outbreak and is taking “extensive precautionary measures” by frequently cleaning areas such as Jacuzzis, children’s play rooms and other public spaces.

“As the health and safety of our guests are of the utmost priority, we take great care and dedication to prevent the spread of any germs on hotel grounds,” the statement said.

“On a daily basis, we engage in extensive precautionary measures and thorough sanitization practices, including the following: maintenance of pool and jacuzzi chlorination levels and filter systems; daily sanitization of all guest rooms and public spaces including the Kids Clubhouse and Hangout Teens Club; and thorough restaurant cleanings, which includes disinfecting high chairs and wrapping them in plastic cling wrap between use.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or concern these unforeseen circumstances may have caused our guests. As always, we encourage guests to practice good hygiene by using hand sanitizers provided throughout the resort. We ask that if a guest is exhibiting Hand Foot & Mouth symptoms during their stay with us to immediately visit our onsite medical doctor.”

Meanwhile, a mother from Kamloops, B.C. said her 16-month-old son experienced similar symptoms after a visit to a nearby resort in Tulum, Mexico.

Brandy, who asked for her last name to be withheld, said a doctor in Cancun diagnosed her son with hand, foot and mouth disease. The doctor told Brandy he had recently issued several prescriptions in what he suspected to be an outbreak of the disease, which is most common in children.

Jason Kmet, a pharmacist at the Polaris Travel Clinic in Calgary, said scientists are working on a vaccine for hand, foot and mouth disease. But for now, the best prevention is to wash hands and surfaces often.

Symptoms of the disease can include fever, sore throat, blisters and the development of a rash. In most cases, symptoms of the disease clear up with time or mild medication, but there can be complications, Kmet said.

“Very rarely, it can turn into a more serious neurological problem,” he said. “Most of the time, it passes through time.”

With a report from CTV Calgary’s Alesia Fieldberg



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Police charge Red Lake, Ont. man in alleged sex assault from 44 years ago

    Canada News CTV News
    RED LAKE, Ont. -- A 69-year-old man is facing charges in alleged sex assaults believed to have taken place more than 40 years ago. Provincial police say the incidents took place in 1973 and 1974 in Red Lake, Ont. Source
  • Review of devastating New Brunswick ice storm makes 51 recommendations

    Canada News CTV News
    FREDERICTON -- A review of a devastating ice storm in New Brunswick that left two people dead and more than 130,000 people without power says the provincial government should increase funding for emergency services and better educate the public on emergency preparedness. Source
  • New Brunswick man charged with production of child pornography in U.S.

    Canada News CTV News
    A 49-year-old New Brunswick man who allegedly travelled to Ohio to meet a teenage girl is facing a charge of production of child pornography in the United States. Joseph Haggerty of St. Stephen, N.B. Source
  • Turkish leader urges Turks in Germany to vote against Angela Merkel

    World News CBC News
    Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan on Friday said German Chancellor Angela Merkel was an enemy of Turkey and called on Turks in Germany to vote against her and other major parties in next month's elections. The comments are some of Erdogan's harshest yet against Merkel and her Christian Democrats, illustrating the widening divide between the NATO allies and major trade partners. Source
  • Barcelona's victims: A snapshot of the world

    World News CTV News
    PARIS -- The dead and injured in Barcelona were a snapshot of the world -- men, women and children from nearly three dozen nations -- testifying to the huge global appeal of the sun-kissed city. Source
  • Canadian eyewitnesses describe terror of Barcelona attack

    Canada News CTV News
    The deadly vehicle attack in Barcelona sent a wave of panic though the busy Las Ramblas promenade where scores of tourists had gathered for a day of leisure in the warm Spanish sun. A white van drove onto the sidewalk and began swerving into the crowd on Thursday afternoon. Source
  • Canada on list of countries with citizens killed or injured in Barcelona

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — Spanish authorities say Canada is among 34 countries with citizens killed or injured in the terrorist attack in Barcelona. Global Affairs says Canadians have been affected by the attacks, but did not provide further details, citing privacy reasons. Source
  • Far-right, anti-racist groups plan duelling protests Sunday in Quebec City

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- An anti-fascist group is organizing a counter-protest against a demonstration in Quebec City on Sunday that is being planned by a far-right group. Montreal Antifasciste says in a statement it's calling on anti-fascist and anti-racist groups to head to the provincial capital to oppose La Meute's demonstration. Source
  • Crown wants 9-year sentence for man convicted of attempting to leave to join ISIS

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- The Crown is seeking a nine-year prison sentence for a man convicted of attempting to leave Canada to join the Islamic State. The defence has countered with a recommendation of six-and-a-half years for Ismael Habib. Source
  • Finnish police shoot man after several people were stabbed in Turku

    World News Toronto Sun
    COPENHAGEN — A man stabbed several people in Finland's western city of Turku before police shot him in a leg and detained him Friday, police said, adding that authorities were looking for more potential suspects. Finnish broadcaster YLE says several people were seen lying on the ground in Puutori square in central Turku. Source