Canadians gather in B.C. to demand safe passage to Europe for Syrian refugees

VANCOUVER -- A choir sings hymns of peace on a downtown Vancouver beach while a small dinghy gently coasts ashore and a dozen people in life jackets, including a young boy, alight onto the sand.

See Full Article

The display, which took place on Saturday, was staged in solidarity with the tens of thousands of refugees and migrants who have embarked on the treacherous journey across the Mediterranean, fleeing conflict and looking for a new life in Europe.

Demonstrators gathered on the Pacific shoreline to add their voices to a global call for governments to offer people seeking asylum with safe transportation to Europe.

Vancouver was the only Canadian centre to participate in the event, dubbed Safe Passage, which took place in more than 120 cities, mostly within Europe.

Syrian immigrant Danny Ramadan, 32, stressed to the gathered throng, many of whom held signs with the line .safepassage4all, that migrants and refugees are just like ordinary Canadians.

"When we talk about Syrian people now, we stereotype them as refugees, as if they were born into seeking refuge. ... We forget that they did not make that journey because they can. They did it because they had to," Ramadan said.

"Refugees used to be peaceful citizens in a beautiful country. ... They had no choice but to run and they deserve to find a place to call home."

The United Nations estimates 410 people have died or gone missing so far this year while trying to cross the Mediterranean. In 2014 that figure hit 3,500 before peaking the following year at 3,771.

John Skene of Victoria, who co-organized Saturday's event, was inspired to travel to the Greek island of Lesbos for three weeks last November, helping small aid groups with camp operations and beach rescues.

"I had read an article of a woman begging a volunteer to kill her family when they had landed on a beach because she was in such distress," he said. "The next day I booked a ticket.

"I'm not going to fix the world but I can at least make somebody's journey a bit more comfortable."

On Saturday, the federal Liberal government reached its goal of bringing 25,000 Syrians to Canada by the end of February.

The Liberal's campaign promise to achieve that target by the end of 2015 was pushed back once it became apparent the deadline wouldn't be met.

Finding both temporary and permanent housing for the newly arrived publicly sponsored refugees remained a challenge for the federal government's resettlement program.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Calgary police union head to be criminally charged with perjury

    Canada News CBC News
    Calgary Police Association president Les Kaminski will be criminally charged with perjury, CBC News has learned. The charge relates to a 2008 case involving a man who was acquitted in part because a judge did not believe Kaminski was a credible or reliable witness. Source
  • Child dies after being attacked by two pit bulls

    World News Toronto Sun
    ATLANTA — Police say they have arrested the owner of two pit bulls that killed one child and injured another in southwest Atlanta. Atlanta Police Sgt. Warren Pickard says Cameron Tucker was arrested after the children were attacked while walking to a bus stop about 7:30 a.m. Source
  • Ex-Philadelphia mob boss 'Little Nicky' dies in prison

    World News Toronto Sun
    PHILADELPHIA — Nicodemo “Little Nicky” Scarfo, whose reign over the Philadelphia Mafia in the 1980s was one of the bloodiest in its history, has died at a federal medical centre in North Carolina. He was 87. Bureau of Prisons spokeswoman Nancy Ayers says Scarfo died Saturday. Source
  • Confirmation hearing for Trump's interior nominee LIVE

    World News CBC News
    Updated Man charged after Milltown school, town hall, RCMP station torched Source
  • Police: Sisters taken 30 years ago found, mother arrested

    World News CTV News
    SCITUATE, R.I. -- Two sisters who disappeared from Rhode Island with their mother in 1985 have been located in the Houston area, and their mother was charged with snatching them, police announced on Tuesday. An anonymous tip two days before Christmas led police to Kimberly and Kelly Yates and their 69-year-old mother, Elaine, said Rhode Island State Police Lt. Source
  • Istanbul gunman confesses to attack: Turkish officials [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    ISTANBUL — A gunman suspected of killing 39 people during a New Year’s attack on an Istanbul nightclub has been caught in a police operation, Turkish media reports said early Tuesday. The suspect was captured in a special operations police raid on a house in Istanbul’s Esenyurt district, private NTV television reported. Source
  • LIVE: Garland's mother takes the stand

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Relatives of Douglas Garland, charged with three counts of first-degree murder in the disappearances of a five-year-old boy and his grandparents, are taking the stand on the second day of his trial. Crown lawyer Vicki Faulkner told the court Monday, that four days after the disappearance of Alvin and Kathy Liknes and Nathan O’Brien, police found a smouldering burn barrel on Douglas Garland's parents' farm. Source
  • Naloxone kit saved possible overdose victim's life: Man. RCMP

    Canada News CTV News
    WINNIPEG - Mounties in Manitoba have administered the opioid antidote naloxone for the first time to help a young man suffering from a suspected fentanyl overdose. Police say they were called last Friday evening to a home in the southeast corner of the province, where they found the unconscious 20-year-old victim with a low pulse and breathing problems. Source
  • 'Mommy loves you, my angel': Woman posted to Facebook after killing daughter

    World News Toronto Sun
    PITTSBURGH — A Pittsburgh-area woman who wrote on Facebook that “Mommy loves you, my angel” after her 3-year-old daughter was found dead in a ravine was sentenced Tuesday to 20 to 40 years behind bars for killing her. Source
  • Corriveau sentencing on fraud conviction set for Jan. 25

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL - An ex-Liberal organizer convicted of fraud related to the federal sponsorship scandal will be sentenced Jan. 25. Jacques Corriveau wasn't present in a Montreal courtroom today as lawyers finalized a division of his assets to repay the amount he owes the federal government. Source