Sympathetic judge jails N.S. man who shot son: 'I truly feel terrible for you'

HALIFAX -- Michael Paul Dockrill accidentally shot and killed his son with a rifle the young man had given him for protection during a 2011 drug robbery.

See Full Article

On Friday, he cried softly as he was sentenced to four years in prison by a judge who was sympathetic but clear-eyed about where the blame lies.

"I truly feel terrible for you," Justice Josh Arnold said as he concluded his three-hour sentencing in Nova Scotia Supreme Court.

"You changed your world forever on June 12, 2011, when you fired that shot. Hopefully, in the future drug dealers and the families with whom they live will be less likely to take the law into their own hands and arm themselves with guns."

Dockrill hugged emotional relatives moments before sheriffs placed him in handcuffs and escorted him out of the Halifax courtroom in front of his remaining son and daughter.

Arnold's decision upholds the minimum mandatory sentence for gun crimes. Dockrill was convicted in April of criminal negligence causing death for shooting his son 20-year-old son, Jason.

Court heard that the young man had been living with his father and dealing drugs out of their basement when he was warned that someone was threatening to steal marijuana and money from the home.

Arnold said Jason had given his father a .30-.30 Winchester rifle for protection, weeks before Dockrill was awakened to someone standing over him in bed and threatening to rob him.

Court heard that Jason Dockrill was in the basement with a friend when intruders kicked down the door and cocked a gun before one of them went into the basement and asked for the money.

One witness said the intruder hit Jason Dockrill in the head with a gun, causing it to go off before he fled the house.

In a profanity-laced statement Dockrill gave to police, he said he grabbed the loaded gun and fired as someone scrambled out the front door, claiming his eyes may have been shut as he pulled the trigger and mistakenly felled his son with a bullet that entered the top of his shoulder.

"Michael Dockrill was acting as an outlaw," Arnold said. "Instead of contacting the authorities to deal with a possible home invasion, Jason Dockrill and Michael Dockrill loaded up for an armed vigilante conflict."

Arnold dismissed the defence's argument that the minimum sentence violated Dockrill's Charter rights, citing several other criminal negligence cases involving firearms that upheld the four-year term.

Brian Church, Dockrill's lawyer, argued that he should not face the mandatory minimum sentence because he's already living "in a prison of grief."

He declined to comment as he left court, while Dockrill opted not to address the court.

Crown attorney Rick Woodburn, who was seeking a five- to seven-year sentence, said outside court that it was wrong to refer to the matter as an accidental shooting, as Dockrill intended to shoot someone.

"He meant to kill a home invader and, in turn, killed his son. That's tragic," he said. "When somebody has a drug operation going on inside a house and they want to protect it, arming yourself and shooting invaders is not self-defence and is not an accident."

The mandatory minimum sentence of four years for gun crimes was enacted as part of the former Harper government's 2008 criminal justice reforms.

The Crown had argued that Dockrill mishandled a loaded weapon, and the mandatory minimum sentence sends a message that care needs to be taken when using a firearm.

The judge agreed.

"This tragedy is precisely why Canada has such stringent gun laws," he said. "In this case, Michael Dockrill fired an instrument specifically designed for killing...His regret is that in shooting blindly, he killed his son and not a home invader."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • White House shelves tentative plan for Mexican leader visit

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- A tentative plan for U.S. President Donald Trump to host his Mexican counterpart in Washington has been put on hold, the White House confirmed Saturday. Trump and Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto have agreed that now is not the right time for Pena Nieto's to make his first visit since Trump took office more than a year ago, according to a White House official who insisted on anonymity to discuss internal deliberations. Source
  • Bollywood star Sridevi dead at 54

    World News CBC News
    Sridevi, Bollywood's leading lady of the 1980s and '90s who redefined stardom for actresses in India, has died at age 54. The actress was described as the first female superstar in India's male-dominated film industry. She used one name, like many leading ladies of her generation, and was known for her comic timing and her dancing skills, a great asset in the song-and-dance melodramas that are a staple of mainstream Indian cinema. Source
  • Rally calling for justice for Tina Fontaine blocks Regina intersection

    Canada News CTV News
    REGINA -- Rallies in Canadian cities that were sparked by the acquittal of a man accused of murdering an Indigenous teen in Winnipeg continued Saturday, including one that briefly blocked an intersection for a round dance. Source
  • Report: Bad maintenance led to Hawaii helicopter crash that killed Canadian

    World News CTV News
    HONOLULU -- A Hawaii tour helicopter was not properly maintained when it crashed into waters near Pearl Harbor two years ago, according to a federal report. The final report from the National Transportation Safety Board indicated that increased inspections by the Federal Aviation Administration may have uncovered the aircraft's inadequate maintenance and prevented the February 2016 crash, KHON-TV reported Friday. Source
  • UN unanimously demands a 30-day cease-fire across Syria

    World News CTV News
    The UN Security Council unanimously approved a resolution Saturday demanding a 30-day cease-fire across Syria "without delay" to deliver humanitarian aid to millions and evacuate the critically ill and wounded. The vote was postponed for several days of lengthy and intense negotiations to try to get support from Russia, a key Syrian ally that said repeatedly an immediate cease-fire was unrealistic. Source
  • Congress releases redacted, declassified Democratic memo

    World News CBC News
    Congress has released a redacted, declassified memo that aims to counter Republican allegations that the FBI abused government surveillance powers in its investigation into Russian election interference. The release comes after weeks of back and forth over how much of the Democratic document would be redacted. Source
  • UN Security Council unanimously votes for ceasefire as airstrikes batter Syria's Ghouta

    World News CBC News
    The UN Security Council on Saturday demanded a 30-day truce across Syria "without delay" as rescuers in the country's eastern Ghouta region said bombing would not let up long enough for them to count bodies during one of the bloodiest air assaults of the seven-year war. Source
  • Student detained after explosion at Florida high school

    World News CTV News
    ORLANDO, Fla. -- Authorities have detained a 14-year-old boy and launched an arson investigation after an explosion led to an evacuation of a Florida high school. The Orange County sheriff's spokesman Jeff Williamson says that officers received reports of a loud bang coming from the boys' bathroom Saturday morning as Timber Creek High School was hosting a debate competition. Source
  • 'ArmMeWith' hashtag tells Trump what teachers want instead of guns

    World News CTV News
    Snacks for students, stationary and smaller class sizes are among the requests of American teachers as U.S. President Donald Trump continues to insist guns in the classroom are the answer to school shootings. Last week, in the wake of the deadly attack at Florida’s Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School that saw a gunman kill 17 people, Trump renewed his call to allow more guns in schools. Source
  • Death toll from twin blasts in Somalia’s capital rises to 21

    World News CTV News
    MOGADISHU, Somalia — Authorities say the death toll in a pair of explosions Friday evening in Somalia’s capital has risen to 21. The director of Aamin Ambulance service, Dr. Abdirahman Abdulqadir, gave the new toll Saturday. Source