Bantleman to appeal Indonesia court ruling: lawyer

JAKARTA, Indonesia - A lawyer for a Canadian teacher ordered back to prison in Indonesia said the man plans to appeal a Supreme Court ruling that overturned his acquittal on charges of sexually abusing three children at a prestigious international school in the country.

See Full Article

Neil Bantleman and his Indonesian colleague Ferdinant Tijong were sentenced to 10 years in prison last April by the South Jakarta District Court, but were acquitted by the High Court in August.

On Wednesday, the Supreme Court overturned the acquittals and ordered them to serve 11-year prison terms -- a turn of events Bantleman's family described as "inhuman."

A lawyer for the two men said Friday that the pair and their legal team will request a judicial review after studying the verdict and gathering new evidence.

"We believe the verdict was reached without a careful and thorough examination," Patra M. Zein said. "We are awaiting a copy of the verdict to study it."

Zein said they would try to obtain the results of a medical examination of one of the alleged victims by a clinic in Belgium, which found no sign of sexual abuse.

Bantleman, who surrendered to authorities in Bali, was taken Friday to Cipinang Prison, the same prison in eastern Jakarta where Tjiong was placed Thursday.

His wife, Tracy, described the verdict as "inhuman, ridiculous and absurd."

"Neil and Fredy are honourable men, they are innocent. The Supreme Court's decision is shocking," she said, sobbing.

"Do you know what it is like to accompany your husband who is innocent ... to willingly come back to prison? It is a double nightmare. It's the cruelest thing," she said.

Canada and the United States have both expressed shock at the Supreme Court decision.

Bantleman and Tjiong were arrested in July 2014 following allegations by the parents of a six-year-old student that the child had been sodomized.

Four male janitors at the school were sentenced to eight years in prison in the same case and a woman received a seven-year sentence as an accomplice. Police said a sixth suspect killed himself in custody by drinking bathroom cleaner.

The South Jakarta District Court threw out a civil lawsuit in which the child's parents sought $125 million from the school for alleged negligence.

The school in southern Jakarta is attended by children of foreign diplomats, expatriates and Indonesia's elite. It has 2,400 students aged 3 to 18 from about 60 countries.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • 5 convicted in killing of Boris Nemtsov, outspoken Putin critic

    World News CBC News
    A court on Thursday convicted five men of murdering Russian opposition leader Boris Nemtsov, but the late politician's allies said the investigation had been a coverup and that the people who had ordered his killing remained at large. Source
  • Alleged purse snatcher run down by woman

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Kelsey Litwin, Postmedia Network First posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 10:11 AM EDT | Updated: Thursday, June 29, 2017 10:23 AM EDT Source
  • Vancouver bans pet shop sales of cats, dogs and rabbits

    Canada News CTV News
    Prospective pet owners in Vancouver won’t be able to buy a cat, dog or rabbit at their local pet shop after the city passed a motion banning their sale in retail stores. City Counc. Source
  • U.K. lawmakers face key vote on government's agenda

    World News CTV News
    LONDON -- British lawmakers were set to vote Thursday on whether to approve the Conservative government's plans for a Brexit-dominated parliamentary session, in a test of Prime Minister Theresa May's shaky minority administration. In a sign of its weakened position after an election wiped out May's parliamentary majority, the government was forced into a concession hours before the vote. Source
  • Trump calls out 'crazy' MSNBC host Mika Brzezinski, accusing her of having 'low IQ'

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — U.S. President Donald Trump has ridiculed the looks and temperament of a female cable television host whose show he says he’s stopped watching. Trump has used a series of tweets to go after Mika Brzezinski and Joe Scarborough, who’ve criticized Trump on their MSNBC show “Morning Joe. Source
  • Ex-Oilers tough guy Dave Semenko dies of cancer at 59

    Canada News CBC News
    Former Edmonton Oilers enforcer Dave Semenko, best known as Wayne Gretzky's bodyguard on the ice, has died of cancer, the NHL team announced Thursday morning. He was 59. The Winnipeg native had it all in the early 1980s, playing on the left side of the Oilers' top line with stars Jari Kurri and Gretzky and winning two Stanley Cups. Source
  • Woman shoots boyfriend dead in YouTube stunt gone wrong

    World News CBC News
    A Minnesota woman charged in the fatal shooting of her boyfriend told authorities it was a video stunt gone wrong. Monalisa Perez, of Halstad, Minn., was charged Wednesday with second-degree manslaughter in the death of Pedro Ruiz III. Source
  • 'It was ceremony': Indigenous group defends setting up teepee on Parliament Hill

    Canada News CBC News
    A grassroots group of Indigenous people and their supporters, who faced opposition from police as they tried to make their way onto the front lawn of Parliament Hill to conduct a days-long ceremony in Ottawa, say they would have been met with opposition if they had tried to go through official channels. Source
  • If Northern Ireland's 5 parties can't agree today, power could return to London

    World News CBC News
    Seventeen-year-olds AJ McMinn and Rachel Madden went to primary schools in Belfast just across the street from each other. One Protestant. One Catholic. Back then, they wouldn't even have crossed the road to speak to each other. Source
  • Liberals extend Canada’s ‘advise and assist’ mission in Iraq

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — The federal government says the Canadian military will remain in Iraq for at least two more years as part of an international coalition fighting the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan says the threat posed by the group, also known as Daesh, ISIL or ISIS, requires Canadian soldiers to remain in the region until at least March 2019. Source