Man who beheaded fellow bus passenger wins right to live on his own

WINNIPEG - A man who beheaded a fellow passenger on a Greyhound bus in Manitoba has won the right to eventually live on his own.

See Full Article

A Criminal Code Review Board has approved a plan that would allow Vince Li to at some point move out of the group home where he now lives.

Li - who has changed his name to Will Baker - killed Tim McLean during a bus trip along the TransCanada Highway near Portage la Prairie in July 2008.

He was found to be not criminally responsible for the murder due to a mental illness - schizophrenia.

The board reviews Baker's file annually and has ruled that he could move out on his own following an updated assessment report that would include conditions for living in the community.

Baker was originally kept in a secure wing at the Selkirk Mental Health Centre, but the board has granted him increasing freedoms almost every year.

The request for more freedom came from Baker's medical team, which said he has been a model patient and understands the need to continue to take anti-psychotic medication.

Even living on his own, he would be subject to several conditions that would include daily monitoring, regular check-ins with mental health professionals and random drug tests.

Baker sat next to the 22-year-old McLean on the bus after the young man smiled at him and asked how he was doing.

Baker said he heard the voice of God telling him to kill the young carnival worker or "die immediately." Baker repeatedly stabbed McLean who unsuccessfully fought for his life.

As passengers fled the bus, Baker continued stabbing and mutilating the body before he was arrested.

He won the right to leave the hospital and live in a group home last year.

Supporters say Baker and other people deemed not criminally responsible for their actions deserve the right to rehabilitation and freedom. But opponents, including some politicians and McLean's mother, have opposed the board granting Baker increasing freedom.

"The Crown has the ability to view Will Baker ... as a designated high-risk not criminally responsible person, but they have chosen not to," Conservative MP James Bezan wrote in a statement this week.

"They have blatantly ignored the rights of the victim's family, and compromised the public safety of our community in (their) decision."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Ottawa pledges millions to promote tourism within Canada amid COVID-19 pandemic

    Canada News CBC News
    Ottawa is earmarking millions of dollars to promote holiday travel inside Canada as it seeks to help the tourism industry weather the COVID-19 pandemic. The funds announced by Economic Development Minister Melanie Joly on Sunday include $30 million originally intended to attract foreign visitors through the federal tourism marketing agency, Destination Canada. Source
  • 'I didn’t have a voice': Former NHL player Akim Aliu discusses racial divides in hockey

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Former NHL forward Akim Aliu is calling on the league to do more to end the racism that “permeates the culture of hockey” as protests fueled by rage over police mistreatment of African Americans flares in the U.S. Source
  • 85 migrant workers test positive in latest Ontario farm outbreak

    Canada News CBC News
    A farm operation in Norfolk County, south of Simcoe, is the latest agricultural facility in Ontario to declare a COVID-19 outbreak after 85 migrant workers tested positive for the virus. The Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit said Sunday that five workers have been hospitalized and approximately 25 others who tested positive are showing symptoms of the virus. Source
  • 'No justice, no peace': Protests resume in NYC for fourth day

    World News CTV News
    New York City officials were looking for a peaceful way forward as the city entered a fourth day of protests against police brutality that have left police cars burned and led to the arrest of hundreds of people. Source
  • Season's first tropical storm drenches part of Central America

    World News CTV News
    SAN SALVADOR, EL SALVADOR -- The first tropical storm of the Eastern Pacific season drenched parts of Central America on Sunday and officials in El Salvador said at least seven people had died in flooding. President Nayib Bukele decreed a 15-day state of emergency to deal with the rains that began pounding the country on Friday ahead of Tropical Storm Amanda's landfall on Sunday. Source
  • Notre Dame forecourt opens to public after long cleanup

    World News CTV News
    PARIS -- Notre Dame Cathedral's forecourt is being opened up to the public for the first time since the devastating fire of April 15 last year. The body overseeing the Gothic structure's restoration issued a statement Sunday saying that the reopening was finally made possible after several deep clean operations took place to remove toxic lead dust from the large forecourt. Source
  • Dispatches from Yosemite: Alone with the bears and beauty

    World News CTV News
    The glacier-carved valleys of Yosemite National Park have been closed to the public for nearly three months and a few dozen lucky kids have had it mostly to themselves. Locked down amid cascading waterfalls and giant sequoias, the kids and their families have passed afternoons hiking empty trails, rafting in the river and walking with wildlife now thriving in the near absence of humans. Source
  • Teen rushed to hospital with hammer stuck in head after random attack

    Canada News CBC News
    A 15-year-old boy was taken to hospital with a hammer still lodged in his head after being randomly attacked by a man on Saturday morning, police say. Dakota Grozelle, 25, was biking with his brother in the North End when they stopped for pizza at a business on Selkirk Avenue near Andrews Street. Source
  • Mosques reopen in Saudi Arabia and Jerusalem amid virus woes

    World News CTV News
    DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES -- Tens of thousands of mosques across Saudi Arabia reopened Sunday for the first time in more than two months, with worshipers ordered to follow strict guidelines to prevent the spread of the coronavirus as Islam's holiest site in Mecca remained closed to the public. Source
  • Philippine police arrest 90 Chinese nationals for illegal gambling

    World News CTV News
    MANILA, PHILIPPINES -- Philippine police have arrested 90 Chinese nationals for allegedly running an online gambling hub without permits and for violating quarantine restrictions, officials said Sunday. Police made the mass arrests Friday after spotting some of the suspects converging closely without face masks outside a rented apartment in violation of quarantine restrictions, in Cavite province south of Manila. Source