Victoria homeless camp stages block party on planned eviction day

VICTORIA -- Homeless campers on the grounds of Victoria's courthouse staged a block party Thursday as they faced eviction from a tent city where more than 100 people have lived for months.

See Full Article

The party got off to a rough start as police cars arrived with sirens blaring to investigate a disturbance at one of the tents at the camp.

Police were not commenting about an alleged assault.

The B.C. government gave campers a Feb. 25 deadline earlier this month to move, but police and the province say they'd prefer people to leave voluntarily for shelters as opposed to a forced eviction.

Housing Minister Rich Coleman said some campers were packing up for shelters that the province has provided and that the situation at the camp will be monitored over the coming days.

"There's about 50 people who've accepted housing, so they'll be moving off and we'll measure it over the weekend to see how it's going," he said.

"We've got enough housing for everybody down there, so they don't have an excuse to not come inside but they also live in a free country, so they don't have to come inside."

In recent weeks, the government and social agencies have reached deals on housing for up to 230 people, with shelter space at a former Boys and Girls Club, a seniors' residence and a vacant youth jail.

The camp grew from a few tents last spring to dozens as people from alleyways and parks moved to the highly visible manicured grounds of the downtown courthouse.

On Thursday, a placard outside the camp advertised a block party featuring guest speakers and people from other homeless camps in B.C.

But few people were packing Thursday ahead of the block party.

Benjamin Alexander, 30, from Quebec, was among those who were leaving. He said he is moving to the former youth jail after living at the courthouse camp for almost two months.

Alexander said he considered living in city parks after several confrontations at shelters and the camp, including a beating in which he lost a front tooth and suffered injuries to his face.

"Look at my tooth, somebody punched me," he said. "Look at my face. Everyday, they are like a wolf pack. You have trouble with one, you have trouble with everybody. I'm getting not psycho, but close to it."

Coleman said he's most concerned about helping the campers get housing and providing support services for people with addictions and mental health issues, not provoking encounters with protesters.

"Whatever they want to do, block party or whatever. It makes no difference here because the only people I'm concerned about are the people who need help the most."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Without Don Cherry, Sportsnet exploring 'new formats' for 1st intermission show

    Canada News CBC News
    Don't expect an immediate replacement for fired commentator Don Cherry on Coach's Corner, as Sportsnet told CBC News on Friday that it will explore "new formats" for the first intermission of Hockey Night in Canada. Saturday night's first intermission will feature the 2019 Hockey Hall of Fame inductees, Sportsnet told CBC's Simon Dingley. Source
  • Bolivian hospital says 5 killed, dozens injured in clashes

    World News CBC News
    Bolivian security forces clashed with supporters of former president Evo Morales in a central town Friday, leaving at least five people dead, dozens more injured and escalating the challenge to the country's interim government to restore stability. Source
  • Students killed in California high school shooting identified as alleged shooter dies

    World News CBC News
    Authorities have identified the two students killed in a shooting by a fellow student at a Southern California high school. The Los Angeles County coroner's office identified the victims on Friday as 14-year-old Dominic Blackwell and 15-year-old Gracie Muehlberger. Source
  • U.S. diplomat says he overheard Trump call about investigations

    World News CBC News
    U.S. State Department official David Holmes told impeachment investigators Friday that he overheard a conversation with President Donald Trump asking a diplomat about "investigations" in Ukraine, according those familiar with Holmes's closed-door deposition. Trump was talking so loudly that Gordon Sondland — the U.S. Source
  • Trump intervenes in military justice cases, grants pardons

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON - U.S. President Donald Trump has issued a full pardon for a former U.S. Army commando being charged with murder, undermining military justice proceedings. A court-martial for Maj. Mathew Golsteyn had been scheduled for December at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, but was postponed until February. Source
  • 2 B.C. First Nations drop out of court challenge to Trans Mountain pipeline

    Canada News CBC News
    Two First Nations in British Columbia's southern Interior that had been part of a court challenge against the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion have reversed course and signed deals with the Crown corporation. The Upper Nicola Band near Merritt and Stk'emlupsemc te Secwepemc near Kamloops dropped out of the Federal Court of Appeal litigation, leaving four B.C. Source
  • Epstein jail guards had been offered plea deal: AP sources

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Federal prosecutors offered a plea deal to two correctional officers responsible for guarding Jeffrey Epstein on the night of his death, but the officers have declined the offer, people familiar with the matter told The Associated Press. Source
  • Minneapolis officials discover 1,700 untested rape kits

    World News CTV News
    Minneapolis officials say they have discovered the city has roughly 1,700 rape kits that have never been tested, with some dating back 30 years. The number revealed Friday is nearly nine times more than the 194 untested kits the city disclosed it had in 2015. Source
  • Highlights from Marie Yovanovitch's public testimony on Trump and Ukraine

    World News CBC News
    Career diplomat Marie (Masha) Yovanovitch got to elaborate in public testimony Friday before the U.S. House intelligence committee about her removal as U.S. ambassador to Ukraine, an event that clearly left her disappointed and puzzled. Yovanovitch was removed from her post just over two months before a now-infamous July 25 call in which U.S. Source
  • Last survivor of the Hindenburg disaster dies at age 90

    World News CTV News
    LACONIA, N.H. -- The last remaining survivor of Hindenburg disaster has died. Werner Gustav Doehner was 90. His son says a church service was held Friday for Doehner, who died on Nov. 8 at a hospital in Laconia, New Hampshire. Source