Thousands without power after storm hits parts of Eastern Canada

Tens of thousands of people remain without power in parts of Quebec, eastern Ontario and southern New Brunswick, as crews race to restore outages that occurred after a messy mix of rain, snow and strong winds across the region.

See Full Article

Hydro-Quebec reported that 180,000 customers were without power in several regions across Quebec as of 11 a.m. The utility said it has sent out 350 crews to “restore service as quickly as possible.”

Hydro-One, which services most of rural Ontario, said late Thursday morning that it was working to restore power to 22,000 customers in Ontario, while parts of southern New Brunswick had approximately 5,800 customers without electricity, down from about 12,000. Most of the power outages in New Brunswick were in the Fredericton and Chipman areas.

The bulk of the blackouts were in southwest Quebec, including nearly 61,000 in the Laurentians, a region north of Montreal. In Quebec City, the messy weather forced many schools to shut down for the day, including at least one junior college. And in Montreal, the rain and patches of ice made for slippery walking conditions.

Hydro-Quebec said power would be restored for most affected customers by Thursday evening, but warned that some Quebecers may not have electricity until Saturday.

Restoration times for those experiencing blackouts in rural Ontario range from midday to 10 p.m. Thursday.

Freezing rain brought down trees and branches across Quebec starting on Wednesday, resulting in the late-evening and early-morning outages.

The rain is expected to be lighter in parts of Quebec on Thursday, but it could turn to snow in the evening as colder air moves in.

Periods of rain in Fredericton are expected to end late Thursday afternoon.

Forecasters were predicting ice pellets and snowfall of 10-35 centimetres across the Great Lakes region by Thursday afternoon.

With files from The Canadian Press and CTV Barrie



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Climate protests to mark Trump's 100 days in office

    Canada News CBC News
    For the second time in a month, tens of thousands of protesters are expected to turn out around the world Saturday to voice concern over climate change in a mass demonstration marking the 100th day of Donald Trump's presidency. Source
  • Wikipedia blocked in Turkey

    World News CBC News
    Access to Wikipedia has been blocked in Turkey because of content presenting the country as supporting terror. Turkey's official news agency, quoting the Ministry of Transport, Maritime Affairs and Communications, said Saturday the free online encyclopedia was blocked for "becoming an information source acting with groups conducting a smear campaign against Turkey in the international arena. Source
  • As Macron hunts rural vote, Le Pen celebrates alliance

    World News CTV News
    USSEAU, France -- French presidential front-runner Emmanuel Macron hunted Saturday for votes in rural France where his far-right opponent, Marine Le Pen, is making inroads among country folk who feel left behind. Back in Paris, Le Pen announced that if she wins the presidency in the May 7 runoff she would name former rival Nicolas Dupont-Aignan, her new campaign ally, as her prime minister. Source
  • By the numbers: First 100 days of Trump

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- In his first 100 days in office, President Donald Trump has produced hundreds of tweets, fired scores of rockets at Syria, signed dozens of executive orders, made one big move on the Supreme Court and signed no major legislation. Source
  • Toronto police seek man accused of following girl into backyard

    Canada News CTV News
    Toronto police have released security camera footage of a man accused of following a 13-year-old girl into a backyard earlier this week. In a news release, police said Friday that the girl was walking her dog in a midtown Toronto neighbourhood around 7:15 a.m. Source
  • What Harjit Sajjan really did while serving in Afghanistan

    Canada News CBC News
    Truth being the first casualty of war has taken a decidedly different turn with growing outrage in both the political and military communities about Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan's characterization of himself as the architect of Operation Medusa in Afghanistan. Source
  • Woman, 50 facing charges in elder abuse investigation

    Canada News CTV News
    WARWICK TOWNSHIP, Ont. -- Provincial police say a 50-year-old woman is charged in an elder abuse investigation. They say officers went to a Warwick Township, Ont., home on Thursday to assist health-care workers check on the well-being of a resident. Source
  • B.C. responds to lawsuit over fees to welfare recipients for methadone treatment

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- The British Columbia government says it has done nothing wrong by redirecting money from the income-assistance cheques of recovering heroin addicts to pay private methadone-dispensing clinics for treatment. In documents filed in B.C. Source
  • Former Afghan warlord Hekmatyar says he wants peace

    World News CTV News
    KABUL -- A former Afghan warlord who battled U.S. forces after the 2001 invasion and nursed bitter rivalries with other militant factions before signing a peace deal with the Afghan government appeared in public for the first time in more than 20 years on Saturday and called for peace. Source
  • Austria calls for new EU relationship with Turkey

    World News CTV News
    BRUSSELS -- Austrian Chancellor Christian Kern says Turkey should not be allowed to join the European Union, with membership talks between the EU and Ankara at a standstill. Kern told reporters in Brussels Saturday that "we have to bring our relations to Turkey into new order. Source