Teen charged in Ont. high school stabbings appears in court

Online posts apparently written by the teen charged in connection with the stabbings at a Pickering, Ont., high school suggest the student may have been planning the attack.

See Full Article

Investigators do not believe any particular students or staff members were targeted in the stabbing rampage at Dunbarton High School on Tuesday morning.

However, social media posts suggest the school attack may have been premeditated. Posts on a social media account belonging to the 14-year-old girl, confirmed to CP24 through multiple sources, reference violence, watching the Luka Magnotta murder video, and a desire to commit a school shooting and stabbing.

One post suggested she was considering suicide, if she didn’t go through with the school stabbing. Another posting suggested the accused may have been a victim of bullying.

A note posted by the suspect on Tuesday appears to promise a school stabbing.

“We’re aware of some online activity of the student as are the police,” John Leger of the Durham District School Board. “I think, really, what’s important here is, as a school board, we really reach out to the victims in the situation.”

Legere also said the school board would offer support for the student.

On Wednesday, Durham Regional Police said the teen is facing 15 charges, including assault, possession of weapons dangerous, six counts of assault causing bodily harm and seven counts of assault with a weapon.

Police also said that a total of five students and two staff members at Dunbarton were injured in the stabbings, which occurred shortly after 8:30 a.m. The Durham District School Board initially said that six students and three staff members were injured in the stabbings.

The scene unfolded Tuesday, when the teen went to the school armed with two large knives and began attacking students in the hallways, Durham Regional Police said.

Two staff members were able to locate the girl and hold her down until police arrived.

Seven people were injured. Four of them were transported to hospital but none of their injuries are life-threatening, police said.

The suspect, whose identity is protected under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, cannot be identified. Police say the suspect is a Grade 9 student. Meanwhile, students who were on the premises at the time of the attack describe a terrifying scene.

“I sprinted for my life, I was so scared,” said one student. “And everyone else was sprinting too.”

Another witness said the student “came in swinging with two knives, and I just ran.”

Classes at Dunbarton resumed on Wednesday, but students say it will take time for things to return to normal.

“Just hoping everyone is okay who was injured and I hope we can return to a regular school year,” said one student.

“Our school is such a safe school…I’m just a little bit shaken up,” said another.

The accused made a court appearance in Oshawa on Wednesday. She will remain in custody at least until her next court appearance on March 1.

With files from CTV News’ John Vennavally-Rao and Scott Lightfoot



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • California may face 'significant risk' if Oroville dam isn't restored

    World News CTV News
    SAN FRANCISCO - California is not just fighting nature as it attempts to repair the nation's tallest dam, badly damaged last month by surging storm waters. It's also racing the clock. Safety experts say there is no time for delay in a state plan to restore the 235-metre Oroville Dam, and they warn California would face a "very significant risk" if a damaged spillway is not in working order by fall, the start of the next rainy season. Source
  • Officials: Sword death of black man in NYC an 'assault' on diversity

    World News CTV News
    New York City officials are calling the death of a black man who they say was repeatedly stabbed with a sword by a white U.S. Army veteran from Baltimore, "an assault" on the city's inclusiveness and diversity. Source
  • Teen accused of helping friend shoot girl in the head

    World News CTV News
    LOGAN, Utah -- A second teenager was ordered to stand trial Wednesday by a juvenile court judge who determined there's sufficient evidence to suggest he helped plan an attack that ended with his friend wounding a girl with a gunshot to the head. Source
  • Indonesian farmers cement feet to protest factory

    World News Toronto Sun
    JAKARTA, Indonesia — About 50 farmers and activists opposed to a cement factory in Indonesia’s Central Java province have encased their feet in concrete during a dayslong protest in Jakarta, the capital. Farmers in the village of Kendeng have battled against plans for the factory for years, saying it could taint their water. Source
  • South Korea raises ferry that sank three years ago

    World News CTV News
    SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of - A 6,800-ton South Korean ferry emerged from the water on Thursday, nearly three years after it capsized and sank into violent seas off the country's southwestern coast, an emotional moment for the country that continues to search for closure to one of its deadliest disasters ever. Source
  • Parents delayed help for wounded boy to scrub evidence, police say

    World News CTV News
    PHOENIX - The parents of a 9-year-old boy who was shot in the head in their Phoenix home put off calling 911 as they cleaned up evidence in multiple rooms of the house, police said Wednesday, calling it a case that "shocks your conscience. Source
  • Afghanistan hoping U.S. sends thousands more troops

    World News CBC News
    Afghanistan wants the United States to send more forces to help meet shortfalls in the battle against the Taliban and the Islamic State group, the nation's top diplomat said Tuesday. Foreign Minister Salahuddin Rabbani welcomed a recent call by U.S. Source
  • Coroner's jury wants better mental health support for Vancouver transit police

    Canada News CTV News
    BURNABY, B.C. - A coroner's jury is recommending that transit police in the Vancouver area work more closely with mental health providers following the death of a man who repeatedly stabbed himself and was shot by an officer at a grocery store more than two years ago. Source
  • Liberal budget offers lots of 'vision' but few new numbers: Aaron Wherry

    Canada News CBC News
    At a dozen points in the budget document, the Liberals interrupt their announcements to explain "What Success Will Look Like." Canada, we are told at one point, "will have one of the most skilled, talented, creative and diverse workforces in the world. Source
  • Australian police arrest man in toddler’s 1970 disappearance

    World News Toronto Sun
    SYDNEY, Australia — Australian police have made an arrest in the mysterious disappearance of a toddler from a beach nearly 50 years ago, charging a man with the 3-year-old girl’s slaying in a case that has baffled officials for decades. Source